Mysteed's 1988 Notch V6 drag car build

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
door handles, get the 79 mechanism. the location is at the bottom of the to the forward position of the door.

mysteed

Established Member
What material are the handles? Could they be cut, repositioned 180 degrees and reattached?
They are plastic. If I had a plastic welder I'd cut them apart and reweld them back together to keep them in the factory location.

door handles, get the 79 mechanism. the location is at the bottom of the to the forward position of the door.
Hmmm, I'll have to look at those.

Update:

Well we got a little bit done this weekend but the car seemed to fight us every step of the way. We dropped the 97 fuel lines, tank, exhaust, and rearend, installed the 97 fuel lines and tank into the notch (making it almost a plug and play setup except for having to drill a few holes), installed the 97 emergency cables and brackets into the notch, and installed the new upper control arm bushings on the rear. I also recieved the new OEM ford door locks and longer hardened wheel studs for the rear.

Now for the bad news. I went today to the DMV to get the title switched to my name and I was told that there is no way I can get it titled. The reason for that is that apparently the last official owners didn't have it registered for a few years and didn't want to pay the backtaxes on the vehicle so they filed the vehicle as a Abandoned/Derilict Vehicle that is only to be used as a parts car. I asked if there was any way that I could get it recertified with the state or get it legal to be put back on the road and I was told that once the vehicle has a bonded title saying it's for parts only there is no reversing it. So right now I have no idea what I'm doing but this car will never see the light of day on the roads. Right now I have no idea what I'm going to do with the car.

E-brake cable setup:
IMG_1484.jpg

Main opening (passengerside) for the fuel lines and harness:
IMG_1486.jpg

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
did you check into the early fox doors yet? i had considered doing this too at one point and hated seeing other projects that did not have working doors:shrug: there has been a few to modify the sn doors but i think it is more of a pain than it is worth so my idea was to use the 79 assembly. search on foureyedpride, there should be plenty of available doors there and pictures so you can see what i am talking about:beer:

Amazongt

AKA maxstang AKA max97v6
Established Member
Your registration problem sounds like something that would happen to me... Sorry to hear buddy. Hopefully you can figure something out though.

abcstyers

Established Member
Sweet project, I'm a good friend of SSM and they talked me out of doing this swap. Good luck to you though

I do know, right now, their green car is not a V6...

This is it as a V6

green.jpg

And this is another V6 car they built that someone ripped the blower and carb off of. So it never got finished
yellow.jpg

Hank

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Awesome project! Good luck with the door handle situation and everything else you got planned before the race dates quickly approaching.

mysteed

Established Member
did you check into the early fox doors yet? i had considered doing this too at one point and hated seeing other projects that did not have working doors:shrug: there has been a few to modify the sn doors but i think it is more of a pain than it is worth so my idea was to use the 79 assembly. search on foureyedpride, there should be plenty of available doors there and pictures so you can see what i am talking about:beer:
I did and it seems like a good solution. I'm watching a set on eBay right now to see what they go for and since FFW is coming up I'll look for a set there. My only question to this is where to cut the door itself to put in the handle mechanism and what mods I'll have to do to the rod itself to make it the right legnth.

FYI nathan- 1979 had the doorhandles at the bottom.
I see...

Your registration problem sounds like something that would happen to me... Sorry to hear buddy. Hopefully you can figure something out though.
Eh, if I don't figure something else out I'll go back to square one and strip it of the minimal street car stuff and go for an all out drag car. Of course if that happens I may as well pull the V6 and put the spare 4V and Vortech in.

Sweet project, I'm a good friend of SSM and they talked me out of doing this swap. Good luck to you though

I do know, right now, their green car is not a V6...

This is it as a V6

green.jpg

And this is another V6 car they built that someone ripped the blower and carb off of. So it never got finished
yellow.jpg
Yeah, I raced their V6 at every V6 Challenge it's been to and it's always kicked my butt. I'm very familiar with their work as I helped Matt (LilRoush) design the M112 plates that they sell.

Awesome project! Good luck with the door handle situation and everything else you got planned before the race dates quickly approaching.
Thanks but this car won't be making the race.

wow, sweet project! subscribed!
Thanks.

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
If you want to lower the cost of the coupe, I'll buy those Valve covers and intake manifold the 302 had :beer:

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I did and it seems like a good solution. I'm watching a set on eBay right now to see what they go for and since FFW is coming up I'll look for a set there. My only question to this is where to cut the door itself to put in the handle mechanism and what mods I'll have to do to the rod itself to make it the right legnth.

i would say look locally in junk yards for just the doors as a complete assembly. then you could take the true mechanism and placement, graft it to the inside of your existing door and be done:shrug:

mysteed

Established Member
Well tis been a long time since I updated this thread but I finally was able to work on the car a bit. Hopefully this little bit of progress will bolster my resolve to finish this project sooner rather than later.

This weekend I was able to knock out a few things on the to-do list, but I still have a ways to go. I ended up redoing the lower radiator mounts, fabbing the upper radiator mounts, and modifying (rebending & repositioing) then installing the trans cooler lines.

Upper radiator brackets. I first flattened the old brackets from my 97 and then roughly cut them into the shape I wanted. Then I mocked them up and cut them little by little till I was satisfied with how they looked and fit.
IMG_1969.jpg

Here you can see where I cut into the front core to make the brackets sit flat and not allow the radiator to move. I reused the front bolt placement on the right but had to drill a new hole on the left.
IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

mysteed

Established Member
Got a bit more done this weekend. Obviously a few things will fight you on a build like this but I wasn't expecting the transmission mounts to be one of those things. If anyone needs to relocate theirs in the future, prepare to spend about twice as long as you expect.

Passenger side trans mount removed.
IMG_1976.jpg

Drivers side trans mount removed.
IMG_1977.jpg

Front core notched for radiator drain:
IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

Main engine harness run through the firewall and passenger side inner fender finished:
IMG_1972.jpg

Overall engine pic as it sits right now:
IMG_1979.jpg

mysteed

Established Member
Well we got the reinforcements for the trans crossmember mounts completely welded in and the mounts themselves are tacked in place. I don't have pics of the topside of the reinforcements completely welded into place but they are. The weld's aren't the prettiest thing to see right now, but they'll be cleaned up before painting.

Tacking the bottom into place:
IMG_1984.jpg

Tacked into place:
IMG_1986.jpg

Mount tacked into place:
IMG_1988.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread