My Twin Turbo Viper Powered Mustang BUILD.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I don't know if you covered it before, but is there a particular reason why you didn't decide to swap in an IRS from a '99+ Cobra? Not that this build isn't already insane. An IRS swap would've put it even more over the top.

N8dogg

Silver...
Established Member
I don't know if you covered it before, but is there a particular reason why you didn't decide to swap in an IRS from a '99+ Cobra? Not that this build isn't already insane. An IRS swap would've put it even more over the top.

That really ever even crossed my mind.. Not a huge fan of the irs in Cobras really..

N8dogg

Silver...
Established Member
Major fabrication is almost finished!!

Got the passenger side wastegate finished. Those were easily the hardest part of the fabrication on the turbo kit itself! I also got a good bit of the cold side done, I ran out of time and tubing so I had to stop. I ordered one more 3" Aluminum 90* to complete the charge pipe, and in that 90 Ill mount the BOV. Onto the pics..

I had to cut a little notch out of the subframe to clear the tube to the WG, ill clean that up after I take all the pieces off to get coated.

image1_54.jpg

There was one area when welding this tube that I couldn't get with my tig torch even with the smallest cup and tungsten, It was just too tight, so I used my wire feeder which is always a last resort cause I hate the splatter.
image1_55.jpg

After I finished up the WG I moved onto the cold side stuff. Man I like working with aluminum SOO much better! I drilled a 3" hole in the body to get the coupling through. Ended up coming out nice!
image1_56.jpg

image1_57.jpg

Driver side
image1_58.jpg

image1_59.jpg

image1_60.jpg

I need that last 90 to go upwards toward the 4" tube. I made my own transition from 3" to 4" it came out meh.... ill take a picture of it later (after I clean it up...) That's where I left it today.. gotta run..

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
How tight does that coupling fit in the 3" hole you drilled? Looks like you might want a little more wiggle room for that.

N8dogg

Silver...
Established Member
It's pretty tight, I'll make the hole a little bigger around when I'm finalizing everything up, but I'm also running solid motor mounts since there are so many tight clearance items. Lots of viper guys run them with zero negative effects.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Just to let you know, I'm stealing the idea of those wood stands you have the car sitting on :)
How strong are those things, do you work under the car when they're supporting it?

NoSloCoupe

Established Member
Absolutely strong enough! I made a set a couple years ago and still find uses for them even with the 2 post lift.

Look into "cribbing" to see just what gets supported and how much. Granted these are 2x4's and not timbers or ties like in some instances.

N8dogg

Silver...
Established Member
Just to let you know, I'm stealing the idea of those wood stands you have the car sitting on :)
How strong are those things, do you work under the car when they're supporting it?
Super strong strong, cribbing is right, we use this type as well as other types of box cribbing when we are supporting cars involved in rollover accidents that aren't safe to enter to make a rescue. So yes I work on the car all the time with it supported by these. I think they are better (safer) than jackstands.

I unfortunately haven't made any progress on the car since the last update. Super busy right now with both jobs.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Super strong strong, cribbing is right, we use this type as well as other types of box cribbing when we are supporting cars involved in rollover accidents that aren't safe to enter to make a rescue. So yes I work on the car all the time with it supported by these. I think they are better (safer) than jackstands.

I unfortunately haven't made any progress on the car since the last update. Super busy right now with both jobs.

Cool, thanks ... how many screws do you have per corner?
I have one going in from each side, so 2 per corner

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
I put mine together with a framing nail gun, two nails per corner

So 2 screws per corner should certainly be just fine.

Good to know since I did this a couple hours ago:

20160309_jacked-up4.jpg

The pieces themselves are the same way yours are done, just 4 pieces of wood per stand.
I inserted extra pieces of wood in-between 2 of them for extra strength.
The car has the parking brake set and is on jack stands in the front.

Last edited:

chvybeatsford

Established Member
Man I wanna try that wood stand for my trans install on my truck. Think it is enough to hold.. ?

Keep up the build will cnt to follow till end.

Users who are viewing this thread