My TV Just Fell...

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Hope you can get some discount from Panasonic on a replacement. Yeah, it would definitely help. If not, and I don't know how perfect a picture you're looking for, but there are some awesome plasma TVs (and even some LEDs) available for less than $2K. My latest set is a Samsung F8500 1080P 600Hz 3D Smart Plasma HDTV. I paid $1,420.25 through Amazon last September. IMO the picture quality is spectacular. Much better than my previous two Samsung plasma HDTVs. Are there better sets out there? Sure. But my point is that I am 100% happy with the quality of this one. I would recommend you check out what is available for under $2K before you go for a more expensive replacement. JMO.
Thats the only other TV to go for, I wouldn't take anything lesser than those two TV's for the living room. Too bad he got a great deal for the VT60 though, the F8500 is pricier :(

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Panasonic is out of the plasma business.
Whatever is out there is the last of them. That's why I grabbed one.
This pic will blow any led/LCD out of the water all day long.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
The problem came with metal studs. After mounting it the normal way with lag bolts, we decided it needed more support. We supported it temporarily (while it was still mounted to the wall) with some stacks of heavy file boxes, literally walked away for 5 min and it all fell over. Judging by pulling on it I would have never thought it would completely rip out in 5 min. But still our fault. Should have taken it back down and used toggle bolts. We literally stood there looking at it for 10 min with our jaws on the floor. It was horrible.

you ALWAYS use toggle bolts with metal studs. man, that sucks.

25013-2.jpg

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I install tv's like this quite often. Yea the metal studs are definitely flimsy butttttttttt, if you drill holes for toggle bolts to go through the drywall and the metal stud you shouldn't have nothing to worry about. I normally put 1/4" toggle bolts in the bracket and use at least 6 of them hitting as many studs as possible. If anything falls then it will be the whole wall lol.

Sorry for the loss, I'd cry if this happened to my tv hhahahaha.

Using more than 4 is a good way to have one fall off the wall.

Every hole you put in the sheetrock weakens it.

Had a buddy so proud he mounted his tv, it fell off a week later, sheetrock and all still attached to it. He had used 12 toggle bolts on it. :nonono:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
My ZT60 is on the wall :D

another thing you do before putting the TV on the wall. After you think youve got the mounting plate secured properly on the wall....try and hang on it with all your weight and pull on it and try and rip it out of the wall.

If you cant budge it, then neither will your TV

Jon82387

Established Member

Had a buddy so proud he mounted his tv, it fell off a week later, sheetrock and all still attached to it. He had used 12 toggle bolts on it. :nonono:

Yea I know what your saying..... Normally the brackets are 24" long..... Meaning 2 on each end and 2 in the middle. You should be able to hit 1 stud at least and the 2 on each end will be fine. Definitely don't go crazy Swiss cheesing the drywall. I would think people have some common sense guess not now days LOL.

BlackOutUT

Established Member

Yea I know what your saying..... Normally the brackets are 24" long..... Meaning 2 on each end and 2 in the middle. You should be able to hit 1 stud at least and the 2 on each end will be fine. Definitely don't go crazy Swiss cheesing the drywall. I would think people have some common sense guess not now days LOL.

I have mounted probably 10+ TVs and never had a problem. But I've never dealt with metal studs. I called my friend over who has a construction background to try and help me out. Apparently we both didn't know as much as we thought about mounting TVs. What really kills me is we had it up. Tried pulling on it very hard and it didn't come out. BUT, we decided it needed more support, so we left it up, but made sure the tv was actually resting on some file boxes. Never thought it would come out with the support under it. We were wrong. We should have just taken it back down. Costly mistake.

Hope you can get some discount from Panasonic on a replacement. Yeah, it would definitely help. If not, and I don't know how perfect a picture you're looking for, but there are some awesome plasma TVs (and even some LEDs) available for less than $2K. My latest set is a Samsung F8500 1080P 600Hz 3D Smart Plasma HDTV. I paid $1,420.25 through Amazon last September. IMO the picture quality is spectacular. Much better than my previous two Samsung plasma HDTVs. Are there better sets out there? Sure. But my point is that I am 100% happy with the quality of this one. I would recommend you check out what is available for under $2K before you go for a more expensive replacement. JMO.

The discount is a long shot, but it actually has a chance of happening as we're going through my friends brother in law who actually sells TVs. IDK we'll see.

On another note, I'm checking into using my parents homeowners insurance as long as it doesn't mess with their policy.

Other than that I've began the search for a new TV.

Thats the only other TV to go for, I wouldn't take anything lesser than those two TV's for the living room. Too bad he got a great deal for the VT60 though, the F8500 is pricier :(

Things are getting interesting as I try to track down a new TV. Might need to start a new thread on this, but heres where I'm at...

The 4k TVs that are out now are nice, but the next way will really be a step up. Panasonic is claiming better black levels in their new 4K tvs than the previous plasmas. Great! But they are not scheduled to be out for a few more months.

The new wave of 4k tvs will be costly, but shit, so are the VT60s & ZT60s! They are going for 4k on Amazon and other similar sites. The exact same company I ordered from is selling them for $3800. Paid $2800 last June. Nuts.

I found a small shop selling a demo that was on the floor a week for $2700. That might be the best available deal I'm seen.

(This one kills me) I found a guy selling a 3 month old VT60 with receipt for $1800 about 15 miles from me. Sold it 3 days ago.

Other than that these plasmas are nowhere.

I can get a pretty good deal through my friends brother in law on a TV that is actually available. So I'm thinking I'm going to buy a Samsung plasma as suggested or something similar. Sharp seems to have really improved their Aquis line now that they're 4k. I'm just hoping that if I go with a current 4k, I'll be able to sell it for around what I bought it for when the new ones come out in a few months.

What a mess...

BlueSnake01

Established Member
If I were to upgrade, it would only be to an OLED screen. IMO 4k as of now is a gimmick. 90% of channels don't even broadcast in 1080P, even less 4k. Hell even PC gamers, which are always ahead of the curve, haven't all move to 4k on gaming. Current new gen consoles? Don't even bother with 4k…….
The jump from SD to 1080P is smaller than 1080P to 4K.

I would stick to the top dogs right now instead of something that's "future proof" and looks weaker.

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
Im a projector person now. Used to be a plasma lover, still am. But im blown away at the size you can get with projection. Went from a 58" 650 series samsung to 135" 1080p projector. It's not as good as plasma, nothing is. but i'll sacrifice a little to have over 100" tv. Yes during the day sucks. But i honestly dont need to be watching tv during the day. Theres better things to do with the day.

BlackOutUT

Established Member
If I were to upgrade, it would only be to an OLED screen. IMO 4k as of now is a gimmick. 90% of channels don't even broadcast in 1080P, even less 4k. Hell even PC gamers, which are always ahead of the curve, haven't all move to 4k on gaming. Current new gen consoles? Don't even bother with 4k…….
The jump from SD to 1080P is smaller than 1080P to 4K.

I would stick to the top dogs right now instead of something that's "future proof" and looks weaker.

I agree I'm not very impressed with the current 4k TVs. But I'm really curious to see what Panasonic puts out. I think they will be a home run.

Im a projector person now. Used to be a plasma lover, still am. But im blown away at the size you can get with projection. Went from a 58" 650 series samsung to 135" 1080p projector. It's not as good as plasma, nothing is. but i'll sacrifice a little to have over 100" tv. Yes during the day sucks. But i honestly dont need to be watching tv during the day. Theres better things to do with the day.

I love projectors if they are in a dedicated room. But my living room just gets too much light. I also work from home so I often have things on in the background during the day.

I do agree though. We should all be outside doing something instead.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Don't mount your TV to the wall. Get a nice table instead. Then you won't have to worry about it breaking, next time.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
you ALWAYS use toggle bolts with metal studs. man, that sucks.

25013-2.jpg

He's right, but I've heard them called called 'strap anchors' and they're wonderful. What he's referenced I've always called 'butterfly' anchors.

The Hillman Group 1/4 in. x 2-1/2 in. Toggle Straps with Screws (6-Pack)-376260 at The Home Depot

Use these on the top with metal studs (or open drywall) and whatever you want on the bottom.

Hung hundreds of TV's with these things. In a stud they're invulnerable, in open drywall, they're fine.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
You can get a 50inch 4k tv for $700

Newegg.com - Seiki 50" Class 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED TV - SE50UY04

Resolution doesn't mean much, especially when there's virtually no 4k native content available.

Some of the top of the line one's look great, but 1080p content up-scaled does not look that good.

The best advantage is if you like 3D, with passive you can get a way better experience than before, (obviously on the more expensive sets).

The 4k TVs that are out now are nice, but the next way will really be a step up. Panasonic is claiming better black levels in their new 4K tvs than the previous plasmas. Great! But they are not scheduled to be out for a few more months.

The new wave of 4k tvs will be costly, but shit, so are the VT60s & ZT60s! They are going for 4k on Amazon and other similar sites. The exact same company I ordered from is selling them for $3800. Paid $2800 last June. Nuts.

65fastback2+2

Established Member

Common sense doesn't exist much anymore

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Me and my team back in louisville mounted about 3000 TV's a year. Only had one fall off from a noob. He thought 2 toggles in Sheetrock for an articulating extension mount in a kids play area was a good idea. Smh

Users who are viewing this thread