My TV Just Fell...

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
In all this crap I had a bit of luck this weekend. Another vt60 popped up on craigslist and I snagged it. Speaking wight he owner, it was bought in September and was clearly well taken care of. Got it for $2k witch I believe is a steal. So we're back in business!

Honestly I really don't even need to mount it, I just need to find a skinny, tall media stand so the TV will clear my tower speakers. If I can find something like that I probably won't mess with the mount.

Glad to hear you finally found another one! I have a ZT60 (although only 60":( ) and it's an amazing TV when tuned properly. I would also recommend trying to get the wall mount to work. I have the 60 wall mounted and an older 54 Panny on a stand. No trouble with the wall mount bracket but I did shop around for a well recommended/reviewed unit. The stand works but wall mount just seems so much cleaner, especially with tower speakers around it.

All I could think of, is the OP being the guy in one of the new weed PSA's here.

That's hysterical!

BlackOutUT

Established Member
All I could think of, is the OP being the guy in one of the new weed PSA's here.
[video=youtube;22jcBvUx3Sw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22jcBvUx3Sw&noredirect=1[/video]

That is pretty dang funny haha.

I've also been compared to those Lowes commercial where they re f ing up projects Lol.

I'm not sure what I'll do yet. But ill def be taking precautions to make sure this one doesn't take a plunge.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
About needing to build support in the wall; it was completely necessary.

I wanted the TV 100% centered on the wall, and the type of wall mount I used did have some adjustment horizontally on the wall, but it wasn't enough.
My TV is around 105lbs, and I planned on hanging a center channel from the same bracket below the TV, so I needed at least 150lbs of support.

If you look at this picture, this is the before.

- The little blue squares represent the corners of my TV.
- The red box is the exact dimensions of the wall mount, and where it had to be for the TV to be centered.
- The yellow lines are the holes in the wall mount for attaching to studs.
1975259_10154003095675305_2095368499_n.jpg

This is the wall mount I used:
85871.jpg

As you can see there was NO stud on the left hand side. Our house was modular built, so the studs were only 2x3 (non-load bearing wall), and they're 24" on center.
If I moved the mount to the right, it was too far right for the TV to be centered on my wall.

Also, since the TV mount can pull away from the wall, increasing the pulling force, I didn't want to trust molly bolts, toggles or anything like that.

smh

you do know the mounting plate doesnt have to be exact center for the tv to center, correct?

I would have put that mount up, hit two studs and molley bolted the left side and had 2 people hang from it.

that being said, you felt limited because you bought a crappy mount. buy a better mount and that wont be an issue. the time and money you spent ripping the wall up could have went to a better mount and you wouldnt have had to do all of that.

something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-VMAA26B-Universal-Articulating-Extended/dp/B000BY9F5G

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Wow OP that sucks. I picked up my 65VT60 from Best Buy on sale for $2399 in November. At that point they were really hard to find especially at that price. A friend of mine that does this stuff for a living mounted all the plasmas in my house, surround sound, hidden wiring, etc etc. A hurricane could knock my house down and that TV would still be standing lol. Anyways, glad you got another one because it's an incredible TV!

65fastback2+2

Established Member

wht93gted

Established Member
i just posted the first link google gave me for a good articulating mount (I used that one a lot)....all of the sanus and chief mounts are LEGIT. Pearless also makes superb mounts as well.

People who buy that monoprice crap get what they deserve...cheap junk.

You can say that it's junk, but it worked fine for me for the 3 years my TV was on it. Never had an issue and it was $50.
I was also able to hang from it no problem and I'm 221lbs.

FWIW (I went back through my order history), I bought this mount...I guess the 2500 people who liked it were lying or don't know good from bad?
The design has changed since I bought it in February of 2011, but it was this one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WL6YY8/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess the part about "not trusting molly" didn't mean anything.

I'm well aware that it didn't have to be centered, but if I moved it far enough to the right to catch the studs, then the TV would've been on the extreme edge of the mount. I could have half assed it like installers do, but it's my house and I wanted it perfect. Not to mention the peace of mind that it would never fall down or fail in any circumstance because it was anchored with 2" lag screws. I had scrap 2x3 in my garage, and to open the wall and build support added about 15min to my install time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread