My TV Just Fell...

BlackOutUT

Established Member
Well long story short, while attempting to mount my 65in Panasonic Plasma today, it fell over and broke. Its done for. Completely my friend and mines fault. I still feel like crying. Paid $2800 about 6 months ago. By looking at the tv now it appears unrepairable. entire frame is bent. My question now is this, is there anything I can do to cushion this hit? Any companies that buy broken tvs for their internals? Any policies that I might still be able to purchase that cover accidental loss? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
That sucks, not sure you really have any options outside of getting someone to perhaps buy it for parts, but even that is a long shot IMO.

Did it fall after it was hung, or did you two just drop it while in the process of mounting it?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Box it back up and take it to Walmart and tell them it is defect and you want a refund. Don't take no for an answer...

In all seriousness, sorry to hear, most of us have done something dumb that cost us money in the past.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Did you use credit card? Some of them offer built in purchase protection for 'X' number of days.

That, and I wouldn't hesitate to contact your insurance company. The deductible and increased premium might not make it worth it, but at least see if there is anything they can do.

An aunt got carpetting and furniture replaced with a $500 deduct after kids spilled a whole pitcher of red juice everywhere - about $5000 in damage believe it or not.

Posted via Topify on Android

BlueSnake01

Established Member
OUCH!!!!!! Sorry to hear that, my heart would be broken if that were to happen to mine.
I take it it was a VT60? If so, i feel even worse since im still enjoying mine, all 65 inches of it…. no homo..

scott_0

Established Member
Box it back up and take it to Walmart and tell them it is defect and you want a refund. Don't take no for an answer...

In all seriousness, sorry to hear, most of us have done something dumb that cost us money in the past.
shit, lol theyll probably just ask what is wrong with it and not look at it :D

BlackOutUT

Established Member
Did you use credit card? Some of them offer built in purchase protection for 'X' number of days.

That, and I wouldn't hesitate to contact your insurance company. The deductible and increased premium might not make it worth it, but at least see if there is anything they can do.

An aunt got carpetting and furniture replaced with a $500 deduct after kids spilled a whole pitcher of red juice everywhere - about $5000 in damage believe it or not.

Posted via Topify on Android

This is actually an option I didn't think about. I did in fact purchase it on my American Express Card. But I doubt they would cover accidental damage. But I'll check anyway.

Only other insurance I have is Renters. Already spoke with them and thats a no go. Theres nothing they cover I could even make up lol.

OUCH!!!!!! Sorry to hear that, my heart would be broken if that were to happen to mine.
I take it it was a VT60? If so, i feel even worse since im still enjoying mine, all 65 inches of it…. no homo..

It is in fact a TC-P65VT60. Depression is growing watching my vizio I've moved from the bedroom. I'm also seeing the exact tv online going for as much as $5k. I'm guessing because they are not available anymore. WTF.

That sucks, not sure you really have any options outside of getting someone to perhaps buy it for parts, but even that is a long shot IMO.

Did it fall after it was hung, or did you two just drop it while in the process of mounting it?

The problem came with metal studs. After mounting it the normal way with lag bolts, we decided it needed more support. We supported it temporarily (while it was still mounted to the wall) with some stacks of heavy file boxes, literally walked away for 5 min and it all fell over. Judging by pulling on it I would have never thought it would completely rip out in 5 min. But still our fault. Should have taken it back down and used toggle bolts. We literally stood there looking at it for 10 min with our jaws on the floor. It was horrible.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
Well long story short, while attempting to mount my 65in Panasonic Plasma today, it fell over and broke. Its done for. Completely my friend and mines fault. I still feel like crying. Paid $2800 about 6 months ago. By looking at the tv now it appears unrepairable. entire frame is bent. My question now is this, is there anything I can do to cushion this hit? Any companies that buy broken tvs for their internals? Any policies that I might still be able to purchase that cover accidental loss? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

homeowners?

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
NOOOOOOO, I just put my VT60 up ,and can't imagine if it fell!
Sorry to hear!

Zerohe

Bro do you even Boost?
Established Member
It was a plasma. You want one of them nice thin LED type deals.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If your buddy was a true friend he would leave, come back with a ski mask on and a fake gun, steal the TV and the two of you would never speak of this again.

01GTB

Established Member
If your buddy was a true friend he would leave, come back with a ski mask on and a fake gun, steal the TV and the two of you would never speak of this again.

:lol:

Damn, OP. Sorry to hear about that though. You really can't replace it either :uh oh: I don't think Amex will cover it at 6 months and that amount of money.

Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Yeah, lag bolts into a metal stud isn't doing much, you could almost pull those back out by hand.

Unless you're mounting into solid wood or masonry, I wouldn't wall mount it at all.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Atleast you're not one of those assholes that would buy another one and swap them out.

BlackOutUT

Established Member

We no joke thought about this.... If my apartment complex wasn't right in downtown and littered with cameras, it would have been a done deal.

Yeah, lag bolts into a metal stud isn't doing much, you could almost pull those back out by hand.

Unless you're mounting into solid wood or masonry, I wouldn't wall mount it at all.

Ya, we were intending to use them. But now that I'm looking at these fresh new holes, I'm not sure they would have held a plasma of this size anyway.

I also don't carry homeowners insurance as I'm in an apartment. So that is a no go. Might just have to bite down and take this one. SUCKS!

Users who are viewing this thread