My TT build thread

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Well after having an exhaust valve problem in my last motor I decided to do the responsible thing and build a completely new motor and sell the KB. Replacing it with a Hellion twin 61mm kit. Thanks to Mauro at Vitale Motorsports building one this past summer and making me very jealous! The build got off to a slow start because I was working a ton of OT to be able to afford all this stuff, but it is finally starting to come together.

I was gonn use my block, crank, and rods, along with some new JE pistons, then as time went by Mauro came across a great deal on another block and crank with Billet Oliver rods, and a set of coated JE pistons, so I jumped on it, even though it ended up setting me back time wise even more.
Since the block had been sitting for a couple years, we had George Coleman deburr and dust the cylinder walls on the .020 block.
0110091838.jpg

Heres the super cool pistons and rods. They should be able to handle anything I throw at them.
0110091837.jpg

We put an oil drain back kit on the bottom from Livernois to help keep the oil where it's supposed to be. The crank is known for drawing in oil from the factory drains on the drivers side, and pressurizing the passenger side preventing it from returning to the pan. The drain back tubes get it past the crank. I'm also using a Melling oil pump since I've read about too many people having problems with the FRPP pumps.
(sorry for the crappy cell pics)
0124091027.jpg

I went with a new set of castings from Livernois. These are stage II heads with their springs. Supposed to flow around 310 cfm on the intake side.
DSC04152.jpg

Exhaust
DSC04154.jpg

I went with a custom set of Comp cams that were spec'd for the twins by Modular Performance. Jason Steen assembled most of the motor and degreed the cams. One of the intake cams were right on, and one was 2* off.
0124091358.jpg

Had to clearance the hold downs for the lift of the cams, even though they are only a 475 lift.
DSC04151.jpg

I'm using the factory lower intake from my car and had Jason port match the intake to allow the heads to do their thing.
DSC04143.jpg

I sat the lower intake and upper intake on the motor to see how it would look. I'm trying out the Procharger sheet metal upper. Top end power should not be a problem with it!
DSC04145.jpg

DSC04146.jpg

Hopefully when I get back from PA next week I will get the accessories put on and the tranny bolted up to drop back in the car. Then I'll work on the fuel system install, then the turbos.

Last edited:

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
looks bad ass! what are your goals with this car? i saw you run last year. i guess the roots style blowers werent doing it for you.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
looks bad ass! what are your goals with this car? i saw you run last year. i guess the roots style blowers werent doing it for you.

Thanks. I want to run 9's on pump gas and DR's, just the way I drive the car on the street. I know the hardest part is gonna be learning how to get the car to leave, but it should be doable. If all else fails I'll just keep throwing HP at it! haha

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
Sweet build bro.. I just dropped mine off at Vitale for some "work".. Nothing like twins, but she should be a different animal when it comes back..

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Sweet build bro.. I just dropped mine off at Vitale for some "work".. Nothing like twins, but she should be a different animal when it comes back..
Thanks
I know I saw it there Thursday. Hope to see you at a couple track events this year too.
This thread has some really amazing pics :bowdown:

Sorry the first few are cell pics, I kept forgetting my regular camera.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Well, ran into a little hiccup last night. The alternator wouldbn't clear the intake up top in the NA Cobra/Mach 1 position, so I'm either gonna run it off a seperate belt in the stock 03 Cobra position, using Prochargers brackets, or switch intakes, to allow for the NA location. Annoying. I'll figure out which way to go today, and work on the fuel system while awaitng the new parts needed for the alternator.

Anyone need a 03 Cobra lower intake and intercooler, or a Procharger upper? haha

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
We decided to try the Procharger Bracket and run the Alt in the stock location off a second belt. The bracket won't be here til Tuesday, so I had to find something else to work on. I decided to try to knock the fuel system out this weekend if I could.

Here is the stock tank dropped out.

DSC04200.jpg

Here is the stock fuel hat with the 2 stock pumps compared to the Fore billett hat with 3 Ford GT pumps.

DSC04202.jpg

Here is the tank with the new hat installed. The soldering iron I had wasn't really up to the big gauge pump wires, so I bought one on the way home tonight, and will try to get them all wired up tomorrow and get the fuel lines ran and the MDM wired in also.

DSC04204.jpg

A few days ago we got the followers, adjusters, and the covers on the motor. Then we knocked out the drivers side head freeze plug for the coolant crossover mod. This helps the water flow in the back of the head to keep from getting water dead ending and getting hot.

DSC04208.jpg

Also got the powder coated stock manifolds put on the other day. I'm probably gonna regret not blinging out the valve covers and timing cover with all the down time it's had over the past few months, but if it runs the way I hope, it won't bother me too much! haha

DSC04209.jpg

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Got the pump wires soldered up and the tank back in. Then I ran the 3 pump feed lines to the 3-1 Y block, trying to avoid the part of the spare tire well that my diff smacks and dents when I launch the car! haha The angle of the camera makes the lines look closer to the dent then they are.

DSC04214.jpg

Then I ran the line from the Y block to the Aeromotive fuel filter. Then I was gonna run the line up to the engine bay, but Lethal didn't supply enough line, so We are gonna have to give them a call tomorrow to see if they can hook us up.

DSC04215.jpg

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Well, I got a little more done last night. Sorry for the crappy cell pics, but I forgot my decent camera yesterday.

I finished wiring up the MDM. I originally thought that the MDM replaced the FPDM completely, but I guess it just manipulates the stock FPDM signals, and adds it's own power to the 3 pumps. I mounted it right behind my battery cut off switch. It was a really easy install, and overall I was really pleased with the quality of the Lethal performance fuel systm. Everything had great directions, and they were all quality pieces.

0210092035.jpg

We had been waiting for the clutch that has been back ordered for months, but got tired of waiting and decided to just throw the motor in the car without the tranny.

0210091821.jpg

I was so stoked to see a motor back in my car that I had to run to the bathroom and rub one out real quick after we dropped it in!

0210091833.jpg

On a side note, my M+H DR's came in a couple weeks ago, and I was pretty surprised to see them arrive like this. I've never seen tires shipped like this.

0210091716a.jpg

They were folded in on themselves and then taped together for shipment. Very weird looking!

0210092041.jpg

Hopefully I can make some more progress tomorrow.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Shane I had tires ship like that a long time ago. They were Hoosiers from Summit. I was a bit disappointed but the tires have been on the '70 for a while now and work well.

Users who are viewing this thread