My *Personal review* of TUNES

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
With fear of being laughed at, can someone give a step-by-step on adding the new tune/tunes to the SCT. Also, how does one datalog. I have seen the option, but neber tried it; I don't know what I should be looking for. I bought my SCT through Lethal, and have been pleased with the customer service and the tune to date. I chose the Lund 93 Cammed tune, and I am ready to change to a tune without the cammed idle. I was going to go through Lethal, but after reading this, I think I will try JMS. Again, can someone give me a how-to in this? After plugging the SCT into the computer, then what? Do I have to install software first? Thanks in advance, and be easy on the fat kid... lastly, have the issues with timing and knock sensors been addressed, and are there any specifics that I should be asking for or about concerning the tune?

Onefstpny

WOT you Say ???
Established Member
Other than warranty I can't imagine the Ford Racing tune coming close to any of the after market tunes out there...
Why do you like the Ford tune so much?

Its not as strong from 5-7k but around town and low-mid is better than any tune ive had before, the other tunes felt like a 4cy honda under 4k.

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
Lethal Performance in SA

Are you getting a custom tune at Lethal Performance (SA)? I don't know how many 5.0's they have tuned.

There are limited choices in SA when in comes to experience with the new motor. Max V uses Lund for custom tunes.

Dave_6

Established Member
JMS is the best IMO. Chris personally tuned the white Cobra in my sig. He also tuned a friends yellow '98 Cobra that (for a long while) was the fastest stock-engined 4.6 DOHC in the country.

Last edited:

Cuco5.0

Established Member
Not really comparing email to a dyno tune, infact i liked my lund tune alot until i contacted him and found out my tune was an earlier tune and the knock sensors were adjusted. I waited for weeks to get an updated tune and finally decided to take my business else where.

The JMS tune pulled really hard but i believe the timing was 28-29* with the knock sensors set back to factory settings. So i wasnt happy with the timing that high and hoping the knock sensors would pull timing before issues occured, i decided to go to the FRPP tune anf get my warranty back and im very pleased with it and wish i would have done the Ford Racing tune first.

How long ago did you get the JMS tune? That is wayyyy too much timing for pump gas. Did you address this with them?

RMoore92

Established Member
With fear of being laughed at, can someone give a step-by-step on adding the new tune/tunes to the SCT. Also, how does one datalog. I have seen the option, but neber tried it; I don't know what I should be looking for. I bought my SCT through Lethal, and have been pleased with the customer service and the tune to date. I chose the Lund 93 Cammed tune, and I am ready to change to a tune without the cammed idle. I was going to go through Lethal, but after reading this, I think I will try JMS. Again, can someone give me a how-to in this? After plugging the SCT into the computer, then what? Do I have to install software first? Thanks in advance, and be easy on the fat kid... lastly, have the issues with timing and knock sensors been addressed, and are there any specifics that I should be asking for or about concerning the tune?

You will need to download live link from the SCT site then you can load PIDs you wish to log on your laptop once the handheld is connected to your car.

Onefstpny

WOT you Say ???
Established Member
How long ago did you get the JMS tune? That is wayyyy too much timing for pump gas. Did you address this with them?

I think i got the tune in August and after a few emails not returned i decided to return it to stock and sell the intake/tuner which is what i did.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
You can get a custom tune via email too. Did you mean custom dyno tune? and again I will say that dyno tuning is not an option for some people.

Yes custom dyno tune. I disagree with dyno tuning not an option, there is a dyno tuner somewhere its just a sacrafice to have to drive to where one is avalible if your in a rural part of the world and IMO its completely worth it for daily drivers and people who may not drive it everyday.

I can understand e-mail to e-mail tunes.....done it with my MS3 and Cobb Tuning before they opened a facility in Plano, TX. Granted, different car and tuning support but same can of beans. For me, its nice to know where my car stacks up as far a power for track outings so i can compare times to horsepower #'s.

Last edited:

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
Yes custom dyno tune. I disagree with dyno tuning not an option, there is a dyno tuner somewhere its just a sacrafice to have to drive to where one is avalible if your in a rural part of the world and IMO its completely worth it for daily drivers and people who may not drive it everyday.

I can understand e-mail to e-mail tunes.....done it with my MS3 and Cobb Tuning before they opened a facility in Plano, TX. Granted, different car and tuning support but same can of beans. For me, its nice to know where my car stacks up as far a power for track outings so i can compare times to horsepower #'s.

For some people that is not an option. And it is not a sure bet that you are getting a good tune when done on a dyno either.

With the tech available now a tune can be dialed in doing street runs and working back and forth via email. But you have to be willing to do the datalogs and work on your end. Remote e tuning is not for everyone but is a viable option to consider.

But as always, it comes down to personal preference. Dyno results will vary depending on the dyno so it is always best to back them up with track results as you have mentioned.

Cuco5.0

Established Member
I think i got the tune in August and after a few emails not returned i decided to return it to stock and sell the intake/tuner which is what i did.

OP i would look into datalogging your car and making sure your global timing is ok.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Was talking to a local guy yesterday who had an email tune from JMS and he purchased the cam tune from lethal (lund) and told me his car feels stronger with the lund tune. He also bought a JMS cam tune that he has yet to receive but once he does he's going to take his car to the track to test both.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
well this confuses the shit out of me. Been hearing how great the Lund tunes are and it doesnt seem to be close to the best, customer service aside. I know its a personal experience but it will play a slight role in my consideration when i make a purchase. Throttle response is a BIG concern to me as i feel it lag BIG time. The car Also sometimes feels like its flat out holding back on me at times. Seriously theres times when itll light em up up to 4th gear....and theres been times where i barely get a bark out of 2nd(advance trac fully off)....still considering the Lund tune as theres too many people praising it but i have a good month before i give anyone any $$......

WHITEMACH

Established Member
UNLESS you dyno /run each one at the track,,,,,,,,,,it dont mean 1 is really better than the other:shrug: like putting cherry bombs on a wagon,sounds faster,but most likely slowed down!

Last edited:

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
well this confuses the shit out of me. Been hearing how great the Lund tunes are and it doesnt seem to be close to the best, customer service aside. I know its a personal experience but it will play a slight role in my consideration when i make a purchase. Throttle response is a BIG concern to me as i feel it lag BIG time. The car Also sometimes feels like its flat out holding back on me at times. Seriously theres times when itll light em up up to 4th gear....and theres been times where i barely get a bark out of 2nd(advance trac fully off)....still considering the Lund tune as theres too many people praising it but i have a good month before i give anyone any $$......

I have the Lund tune, and I don't have any complaints about it. The skip shif is disabled, and there is a noticiable difference in power and how the car responds. I got the tune with the cammed idle and it just gets old. I also don't think it sounds great without an offroad X or H. I have 3" from the cats to axel, and then topped off with Flowmaster 40's. There are times when it sounds awesome, and times it doesn't. That is my reason for opting for a new tune. I talked to Lethal, and they will send me a Lund tune minus the Cammed idle for $100. JMS is offering their's for $50. Based on this thread, I am going to try JMS. Hell, I may have them throw in the cammed tune too and see if it is more consistant.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If you want the absolute BEST from Lund, you have to be patient. He is only one man, and very busy. Secondly, like Linn@Amazon has been saying. If you want the BEST from your tune, you must be ready to datalog on your end, and do some work.

That's what I did with Jon Lund, and my Shelby GT500 with a ported blower setup performed better than I ever expected.

Does his customer service lack compared to companies that have a store front and can answer a phone all day, sure. Are his abilities subpar compared to these other tuners, not at all. He flies helicopters for a living, and his day job can sometimes be VERY demanding.

If you want a GREAT Lund tune, you have to pay for the datalogging remote sessions to dial it in, and have a little patience. He may take a while to get too you, but when he does...you will be pleased with the datalogging results.

Funny5.0

Established Member
Its not as strong from 5-7k but around town and low-mid is better than any tune ive had before, the other tunes felt like a 4cy honda under 4k.

Yeah I have the Ford Racing tune for my auto 5.0 and 1500-5000 rpm's is much improved compared to stock. I just thought maybe the grass was greener with the aftermarket tunes...
My biggest complaint with this tune or when stock is the lack shift firmness. It won't even chirp second and it feels too soft shifting through the gears at full throttle.
You have a manual so you don't have this issue.
I'm thinking maybe 3.55 or 3.73 gears may help while adding even more grunt?:burnout:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
If you want the absolute BEST from Lund, you have to be patient. He is only one man, and very busy. Secondly, like Linn@Amazon has been saying. If you want the BEST from your tune, you must be ready to datalog on your end, and do some work.

That's what I did with Jon Lund, and my Shelby GT500 with a ported blower setup performed better than I ever expected.

Does his customer service lack compared to companies that have a store front and can answer a phone all day, sure. Are his abilities subpar compared to these other tuners, not at all. He flies helicopters for a living, and his day job can sometimes be VERY demanding.

If you want a GREAT Lund tune, you have to pay for the datalogging remote sessions to dial it in, and have a little patience. He may take a while to get too you, but when he does...you will be pleased with the datalogging results.

That's interesting because when I asked about sending data log info in to lund to perfect my tune I was told there was no need because the tune was good enough....

wbt

Banned
if you want the absolute best from lund, you have to be patient. He is only one man, and very busy. Secondly, like linn@amazon has been saying. If you want the best from your tune, you must be ready to datalog on your end, and do some work.

That's what i did with jon lund, and my shelby gt500 with a ported blower setup performed better than i ever expected.

Does his customer service lack compared to companies that have a store front and can answer a phone all day, sure. Are his abilities subpar compared to these other tuners, not at all. He flies helicopters for a living, and his day job can sometimes be very demanding.

If you want a great lund tune, you have to pay for the datalogging remote sessions to dial it in, and have a little patience. He may take a while to get too you, but when he does...you will be pleased with the datalogging results.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread