My *Personal review* of TUNES

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Well I have been on a mission to find the best tune for the 5.0, and I figure I'd would share my experiences with the community.

Tunes i have tried:
BAMA (came with SCT device)
BBR
LUND
AMAZON
JMS
VMP

As you can tell, these are all respectable, reputable shops and all i will be sharing with you is my personal opinion.

ALL 93octane

BAMA: Great customer service, tune was OK, felt a little soft down low, had some issues with the tune, took about 3 revisions to get it right. But they have great customer service so it was a breeze. Overall the tune felt like just an enhancement of stock.

BBR: Also another great customer service experience, this tune rocks and is my 2nd favorite. Great throttle response and power...had a few little issues but the revision was quick (with in hours) and was good. Had some throttle surging and it can a little crazy for DD/stop and go traffic. Overall 2nd Place for me.

LUND: Customer service was terrible, sorry. Will not go into the specifics but i will never do buisness again. Tune was good right off the bat. Overall no real complaints except throttle response could be a bit better and it felt a little lacking in the power dept in comparison to the rest. My experience was bad with lund if you can imagine all that it encompasses. (revisions, customer service, ect) That alone pushed me to keep searching. I have read of people having good experiences with lund, so i dont know what happened here:shrug: moving on...

AMAZON: Good customer service, quick turn around on tune, but over all it was a real plane jane type of experience with the tune....thats it!

VMP: Good customer service, GREAT tune...super smooth and strong at WOT...i really loved how smooth this tune is and they took time to explain all that they do. I can almost say this actually may be a tie with BBR...very pleased with this! I settled down for a while on this tune and I officially thought "this is it"! Until....

JMS: I dont know why I decided to keep shopping for tunes, but it was probably all my friends fault who has a gt500 and said he had also tried most of the same tunes as myself, until he found JMS. SO basically, on his recommendation I decided to give it a shot.--Customer service was SUPERB! I have had full conversation with Monty, and even advice on future mods after** sale of the tune. That stood out, genuine concern. This tune Kick ASS!!! Throttle response is strong, power is smooth and with out disconnect. The more I go down on the pedal the more it just pulls. This is the smoothest tune by far too, its feels like the car is FINALLY running in complete harmony...A civil lady in the streets for DD, but at WOT its an utter MONSTER!!! This tune alone has refuel my love for the car and has inspired me to go back to the track. I cannot recommend this tune enough!!!!!!!!! TOP NOTCH!

well, that wraps up my personal review of the tunes I have tried. If you would like any more info on my experiences, shoot me a PM, i will be glad to help anyway i can.

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
It's really hard for me to believe that all these tunes could feel so differant or make that much of a diff. There's only so much u can do with a tune.
U need to take it to the track.
You just have bolton's right?

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
It's really hard for me to believe that all these tunes could feel so differant or make that much of a diff. There's only so much u can do with a tune.
U need to take it to the track.
You just have bolton's right?

yeah just bolt ons....every tune seems to have its own "personality" so to speak. JMS seemed to have everything rolled into one. Its an awesome tune

wbt

Banned
So did you dyno each tune or get track times vs. the butt-o-meter? That would be the real performance test vs. how one "feels".

BryanW

Established Member
Why not try a back to back test of each one at the track, most likely some are aggressive tunes and some are not as much.

All i can say is ive tried BAMA tunes "free tunes for life" and after a few revisions to get rid of it being slow out of the gate at the track, it has performed the best that ive tried.

What are your exact mods so we can understand some of the issues you had with the other tunes?

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
So did you dyno each tune or get track times vs. the butt-o-meter? That would be the real performance test vs. how one "feels".

no, and i kick my self in ass for not doing atleast the BBR tune

stock i put down 382/355

next week i have an appt on the dyno and i will post that

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
My custom tune came with a Vietnamese lady who only spoke 4 words, would let me do anything i wanted to her and vise versa and made me a sandwich afterwards. That one felt the best to me. :banana:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Why not try a back to back test of each one at the track, most likely some are aggressive tunes and some are not as much.

All i can say is ive tried BAMA tunes "free tunes for life" and after a few revisions to get rid of it being slow out of the gate at the track, it has performed the best that ive tried.

What are your exact mods so we can understand some of the issues you had with the other tunes?

i will be going to the track next week and i have in my SCT: vmp, bbr, and JMS so i may give this a try. Even like this there still will be to many variables that need a constant though.

All i can say is JMS did an outstanding job on this tune and its been the absolute best. The Bama tune was the race 93 and at the time i had drop in, offroad x, gt500 mufflers

BryanW

Established Member
i will be going to the track next week and i have in my SCT: vmp, bbr, and JMS so i may give this a try. Even like this there still will be to many variables that need a constant though.

All i can say is JMS did an outstanding job on this tune and its been the absolute best. The Bama tune was the race 93 and at the time i had drop in, offroad x, gt500 mufflers

Oh i hear ya there, please post here so we can see what each one did with your car. Funny thing is, my car this late fall was running faster with the BAMA 93 street tune, vs the race tune. With 60 foots being equal and same with cool down time. I was only able to get a 12.26 with the street tune, race tune was 12.49 ,they said it has the same timing, shift harshness was different.
I have a JLT cold air and your exact mods listed above :beer:

implosive

Established Member
just curious, how come you never tried the steeda tune? I have it, and haven't been in another tuned 2011+ GT and I am curious on how it stacks up to the others.

wbt

Banned
no, and i kick my self in ass for not doing atleast the BBR tune

stock i put down 382/355

next week i have an appt on the dyno and i will post that

Good. I will be at SAR on 12/10. Hopefully you can make it out.

dynasty_365

Established Member
Well technically isn't a tune personal preference. U just keep choosing or tinkering til u find the one u like and love right? Glad he found what he likes. I'm curious to see peoples opinion on livernois tunes. And which Lund tune did u go eith evolution or lethal??

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Well if some were ran in different weather conditions as you were trying new ones then that's a huge factor. Spring, summer, fall,......

Users who are viewing this thread