My new to me 04 Cobra vert

thekanezzi

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Last week I picked up a clean 34k mile cobra vert from the original owner. The car was from Colorado and is now in Bakersfield, CA. I had the sellers tuner pull 2 degrees of timing for the trip down due to the elevation change to be safe.

Its lightly modded.

Engine
Posi ported inlet
2.93 upper, 4 lb lower
magnaflow catted x
m58 fr500 exhaust
k&n intake
Afco dual fan H/E

Suspension
1/2 coil cut coupe springs
Bilstein HDs
Welded MM subframe connectors

So far, its great. Love the to have the top down. I do plan to change some things up a bit, so far Ive purchased or plan to purchase the following:

Amsoil 5w20 and ATF for a fluid swap.
I also plan to drain and flush the rad and the intercooler, while adding a 170 degree thermostat.
Rovos Durbans with nitto555
Hood vents, maybe from Steve?
Paint correction

I could use some advice as well. Id appreciate any advice on the following.

It needs a retune. Badly. It makes little power above 4k and at the PO request the traction control was messed with. Im thinking about using Greg at RET. Hes about 3 hours from me so its a trip. I had also considered a email tune, but IDK much about those.

I like the tone of the fr500s but man they are quiet. Plan is to attend a meet and hear some exhausts but Im thinking bassani. Can anyone think of an exhaust, that pairs well with a magnaflow x, that has little drone but has a nice snarl? I know, subjective question.

Im surprised how great the cut springs ride, but would like the car lower. Do h&r race/sport springs ride well? Id expect them to ride better than cut springs, but I also expected cut springs to ride like shit. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I think that covers my bases, correct? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Here are some low light pics I took with zero talent and even less shame

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Welcome to the madness sounds like a nice car

I would address your tuning issue first as this is the most important aspect of the car. An email tune is simple and will get you rolling so you can get to a dyno to get a custom tune.

As far as exhaust this is all subjective to your preference, H pipe less rasp, X pipe lots of rasp, I would you tube and find what you like.

The cut springs ride really nice as the springs are linear and not progressive so it does not change the ride quality. The H&R springs will ride stiffer but perform better If you like the ride just cut a 1/4 of a coil more off and lower the car to your desired height.

There are lots of good "How to cut stock springs threads" just search away.

thekanezzi

Established Member
Welcome to the madness sounds like a nice car

I would address your tuning issue first as this is the most important aspect of the car. An email tune is simple and will get you rolling so you can get to a dyno to get a custom tune.

As far as exhaust this is all subjective to your preference, H pipe less rasp, X pipe lots of rasp, I would you tube and find what you like.

The cut springs ride really nice as the springs are linear and not progressive so it does not change the ride quality. The H&R springs will ride stiffer but perform better If you like the ride just cut a 1/4 of a coil more off and lower the car to your desired height.

There are lots of good "How to cut stock springs threads" just search away.

Thanks for the advice. YouTube doesn't cut the mustard for me when choosing an exhaust, maybe I'm deaf but they all sound very similar.

Maybe I will just cut more off the springs. If I don't like it, I'll just add aftermarket springs and be done.

Thanks

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
That's great you got one. I remember you posting in the Market section for a while looking.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
congrats, nice car

If i was you I'd ask around in the "taste of home" section to see if anyone has any other suggestions. 3 Hours though isn't bad considering what's at stake.

Pass on the durbans, there are ton's of other wheels that look much nicer.

thekanezzi

Established Member
Thanks everyone. Yes, I looked for a while but got a great car so I'm jazzed. Forgot how much I enjoyed my last stang lol.

Already purchased the rovos! Thought about saleens but wanted hyper silver and couldn't find any.

Made an appointment at ret for this Wednesday. Just going to get that part done.

I actually did make a thread in taste of home, thanks for the idea. No hits for within 2 hours of me though, just need to make a meet happen.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Congrats looks clean. I have the same mid pipe and Bolra Stingers and love the sound.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
It's got a nice idle not too loud. But when you get on it,
It screams. Thought about trying an off road X but afraid I wouldn't hear the blower as well.

I know you said YouTube didn't do it for you but this video is what sold me on the set up.
http://youtu.be/acru07Gtpcw

Last edited:

thekanezzi

Established Member
Thanks. With YouTube it's hard to pick out the subtleties of the exhaust note for me.

That sounds pretty good! Seems loud! I actually like a loud idle, just not the drone that comes with it while cruising.

I had stingers and a o/r h on my tvs 13 gt. I was pretty loud lol. Stingers really do have a unique sound imo.

03slaminator

Established Member
I got Mac long tubes, lethal x-pipe, Borla stinger catback. And I love it!! It is very very loud though! So if you have nieghbors and you care about what they think. Then I wouldn't get this setup. All my nieghbors hate me. Lol

And +1 on the rovos durbans! I almost ordered some Friday. But I found some TF Mach 5's I'm trying to work a deal with. If it falls through then, I'll order me some satin black durbans!! Can you post a pic of your vert when you get the wheels on it?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I have the FR-500 exhaust on mine with the Magnaflow catted X and it sounds amazing. If you change it out just because you want "loud", you gain nothing but noise. The Dual-Mode mufflers are purpose built to still provide low-end torque but straight flow when the valves open - something no other exhaust will do.

Here's everything you want to know about it, including cut-away views of the mufflers:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/exhaust.htm

thekanezzi

Established Member
I got Mac long tubes, lethal x-pipe, Borla stinger catback. And I love it!! It is very very loud though! So if you have nieghbors and you care about what they think. Then I wouldn't get this setup. All my nieghbors hate me. Lol

And +1 on the rovos durbans! I almost ordered some Friday. But I found some TF Mach 5's I'm trying to work a deal with. If it falls through then, I'll order me some satin black durbans!! Can you post a pic of your vert when you get the wheels on it?

I'll bet that's loud. My last cars first exhaust was like 100db in the cabin and I am way over that lol.

Id be happy to post some pics up after they are mounted

I have the FR-500 exhaust on mine with the Magnaflow catted X and it sounds amazing. If you change it out just because you want "loud", you gain nothing but noise. The Dual-Mode mufflers are purpose built to still provide low-end torque but straight flow when the valves open - something no other exhaust will do.

Here's everything you want to know about it, including cut-away views of the mufflers:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/exhaust.htm

Great. Yea, I know they have that bi mode exhaust, which is nice. I agree, all I would gain is noise, that's my goal with an exhaust swap.

thekanezzi

Established Member
Ok so just got back from the dyno tune.

First I want to thanks Greg at RET. Great guy and knows his stuff. My car made 505rwhp and 495 rwtq.

Our first run we had a fuel issue. Above 4k rpmn there was nothing left in the fuel system. First we swapped the filter which didn't help. As we geared up to pull the tank to replace the pump, Greg decided to check the plugs. They were gapped at 40 thousandths. I figure that somehow the car couldn't send enough juice to cross the gap and power the pump, but new correctly gapped plugs did the trick. We started to tune and quickly maxed out the pump and maf. Lol, a new maf and bap later we were in business.

The car runs great and is clearly more fun now that I can use the long pedal... holy wheel hop!

I also got to hear a bassani 3 inch on a cobra, I was surprised how quiet it was. I really wish I could hear a full mac with cats welded in.

Fun day!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have h&r race springs and my first impressions were that the ride quality seemed slightly improved. Congrats!

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Awesome enjoy the new found power. If YouTube doesn't do it for you. Maybe try to go to a car show or cruise in and see if you can hear different exhaust set ups.

fr03cobra

Established Member
congrats!! my vert has 43k miles but changing the motor out. welcome to the money pit.lol

Users who are viewing this thread