My new ride

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
:beer:A week and a half ago I flew up t0 NJ to pick up a cobra. test drive was fine and i started driving it home. 500 miles or so into the trip the clutch got a little notchy. 800 miles in the TOB got noisy and when i pulled into my buddies driveway it was rattling like crazy. so I left the car there and picked up my daily from the airport near there and drove the next two hours home. ordered a clutch a RXT, flywheel, TOB and retainer. it already had a centerforce DFX in it and a 26 spline.
IMG_0916.jpg

here is the input shaft:

IMG_0907.jpg

and the broken retainer

IMG_0890.jpg

new lethal TOB retainer
IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

RXT clutch!
IMG_0903.jpg

Buddies RPS carbon carbon!!! for a supra... nice!!!
IMG_0910.jpg

so after looking at the input shaft and seeing the wear not to mention it has 1.5" of splines vs the new version has 2", and since I am going with a twin disk I figured it was better to get the new one. I cant believe they upgraded the input shaft and did not change out the retainer... Oh and I could not get the third bolt out of the starter! the car has a stock K-member and kooks longtubes! i fought it for 2 hours had two other guys try and finally gave up. so I am dropping the subframe to get to it. Since I had to wait on the input shaft. I ordered a Team Z k-member with A-arms, coilovers and strange 10 way adj struts! I also ordered energy suspension poly bushings and a Quick Time Bell housing. Ill post pics of that stuff when i get it.
Other items ordered,MSD Launchmaster, SLP Linelock and AEM wideband! everything is coming in this week so hopefully this weekend ill have the k-member on and clutch in! I want to make it to the Bradenton NMRA race at least to watch! :beer:

Last edited:

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
Thanks man! I am trying to do it right. Did a lot of research on the clutch and the k-member before deciding. Can't wait to actually drive it! I also ordered some race star technology 17x4 for the fron and i have some weld prostar with et streets for the rear, to take it to the track. I am going to sell the black saleens that are on it and get some different street rims, maybe 03 cobra chromes or if I can swing it some CCW classics!

Blueline

Established Member
I know how bad it sucks to buy a car then have to dump more money in it to fix shit that was broken. Well good luck and PM me a price on the saleens. If they are cheap enough maybe ill take them off your hands! ha.

Last edited:

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Wow, that is a lot to be doing day 1 on a new ride. I bet it will be worth it though. Hope you got a good deal on the car. I am going to need to do the TOB in a couple of months myself.

skratpiece

Established Member
My TOB seized to the input shaft at around 80K miles. I wasn't too disappointed because I knew it was likely to happen, but it got expensive when I had to pay for the new Bearing Retainer install. I just bit the bullet and paid to have it done because I was working full time and had no resources, but I would have liked to have known exactly what I got charged for. They made it sound like a huge project and I paid 250 in labor. What did it actually require to install?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks man! I am trying to do it right. Did a lot of research on the clutch and the k-member before deciding. Can't wait to actually drive it! I also ordered some race star technology 17x4 for the fron and i have some weld prostar with et streets for the rear, to take it to the track. I am going to sell the black saleens that are on it and get some different street rims, maybe 03 cobra chromes or if I can swing it some CCW classics!

First, congratulations on getting your Cobra. You're putting a lot of thought into what you're doing, and you obviously are mechanically gifted. Should be an awesome ride when it's done. :beer:

Enjoy the NMRA race at Bradenton. Wish I was going to be down there visiting my mom. She's not far from the track. :)

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
those T-56's are heavy as $hit, specially when working with limited space... I broke down and bought a trans jack adaptor plate, and still was a pain.

car looks good, at least your getting familiar with car... probably quicker than you wished.

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
Thanks Guys! I would say the 250 to replace the TOB retainer is decent. you have to take the front of the tranny off and press it out, or a big hammer...
I hadn't planned on doing this much stuff to the car so quick but the opportunity presented itself.

SinisterCobra

Established Member
a buddy and I replaced my clutch this past weeked and it was a PITA. These easiest way to get to that starter bolt is a swivel and long extension... then again you have longtube so that might make it more difficult. Good luck though, you'll be happy with the new clutch for sure!!

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
I am in Valdosta Ga, Just havent updated my location. I used to live in fort Walton Beach.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Congrats on the new car bud! Pretty crappy something failed on the way home but hell, can't believe they never upgraded the retainer sleeve either. You can definitely get that third starter bolt, you just have to come in from the front and be a bit inventive with extensions and universal joints. I went through that on my bro's Cobra, luckily I have a tubular K-Member and removing the starter was easy as pie :)

Users who are viewing this thread