My GT40 Build

blk02edge

Established Member
I have heard people getting by for $180K, all the way up to $230K for a "Tool Room" copy of P1075

My build is in the middle as far as costs go.

Hey, it's only money eh? :confused:

E
money far better spent than a *insert generic used exotic* You have a truly timeless piece

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
money far better spent than a *insert generic used exotic* You have a truly timeless piece
Funny story thou, I pulled the money to buy the car out of some Boeing stock last spring. I think it was $370 a share, but it was a short for me as I expected $400 for a sell. For months I moped about "why did I sell???"...LOL, it's at $160-177 now. So as things go, not too bad.

E

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
More progress!

IMG_0001.JPG

Shift cables installed
IMG_0002.JPG

Rear assembly re-installed now that the transaxle work is finished
IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

These are not my wheels/tires. The car goes Monday to a shop to make up the headers that were incorrect.

E

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Asp, sorry for liking half of your comments just now. I went through a refresher on this thread and apparently missed some lol.

I thought there were some Lamborghini transaxles that would work in these.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Asp, sorry for liking half of your comments just now. I went through a refresher on this thread and apparently missed some lol.

I thought there were some Lamborghini transaxles that would work in these.

Transaxle selection for the Superformance cars is limited. The ZF or the Quaife fit correctly, after that you pretty much have to start making frame/body adjustments.

E

72SBC

Established Member
I was looking at a super performance vid and fell in love with this. A 05-06 GT is just out of the question and these are still out of the question but a little more obtainable. Look badass too.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
I was looking at a super performance vid and fell in love with this. A 05-06 GT is just out of the question and these are still out of the question but a little more obtainable. Look badass too.

That is Lance's car (it's for sale wink wink) like $250K.

There are certainly options and choices to make when ordering a car like this.

E

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
So more pictures and an update.

The 4 headers that needed adjustment have been fixed (the flanges on almost all the pipes needed love). Now they need the welds grind down and polished to match.

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

The wheels are now painted, clear coated and buffed.

IMG_0015.JPG

Now waiting to see if we can get the lift pucks from KW for the front shocks, if not I will pick up the car with the normal shocks and this winter install the front lift system.

One more pic
IMG_0011.JPG

Getting really close now.

E

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Maybe a dumb q, why does #1 tube go up so far, vs #5 on the other side?

Things are looking fantastic!

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe a dumb q, why does #1 tube go up so far, vs #5 on the other side?

Things are looking fantastic!

Thanks!

The headers are tuned for scavenging. Look close and you will see two tubes from each side cross over to the opposite side.

E

PS Gives it a rather unique sound too.

In the video the guy has "megaphones", I am starting with mufflers to see how loud it is. So mine will not be as loud, but will have the same pitch.

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Had a feeling it was something like that. Good call on starting with mufflers. that video its LOUD, and thats not behind the car either.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
This looks amazing. Unless I missed it, plan on ceramic coating the exhaust due to its location?

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
This looks amazing. Unless I missed it, plan on ceramic coating the exhaust due to its location?
The headers are stainless steel with a ceramic coated inside. I could ceramic them outside to prevent the "gold" look from creeping in. The gold is actually carbon still in the stainless steel. With repeated polishing (2-3 times) they stop going gold and stay (pretty much) chrome looking.

If they get to be a pest I will ceramic coat the outside.

E

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Soooooooo, the headers came back (funny how one week turns into 3).

I am not really happy with the quality of the headers, but the welds I can build up and grind down/polish this next winter.

IMG_0001.JPG

Had the valve covers powder coated, much better.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Guys, I am down to the airbox being built (like a turkey pan, to keep some of the header heat off the injection system), this is the last item, and it should be on tomorrow. All of a sudden I am feeling terror that what has taken 13 months to build, needs me to go pick it up. I better take a bottle of TUMS with me.

I should be leaving this coming Monday, back home on Wednesday.

Wish me luck!

E

Users who are viewing this thread