My FFR AC Cobra build thread

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, I've returned from vacation last night and will be getting in this build in a serious manner.

Marked, labeled and removed all the panels down to a bare frame. Mounted my vice to my new rolling bench.

Installed lower A-arms. Found out I'm all out of blue Loctite. Ordered. Might as well order some soft jaws for the vice and a DeWalt rivet gun. Done.
I'm finding being organized takes a lot of time.
20240113_124923.jpeg
20240113_133233.jpeg
20240113_182732.jpeg

Your government is lying to you

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Once hubs were mounted, installed the brakes. These are Wilwood brakes speced by Gordon Levy. Still have a few things to tighten up, but left them loose because it's got to come back off soon.

Also had to modify the caliper mount and knuckle by doing a bit of grinding.
20240124_160648.jpeg
20240126_150607.jpeg

MG0h3

Established Member
I believe the rear differential was specd from a Porsche years ago when I was considering one of these.

Still the case?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

railroad

Established Member
Use a floor jack, couple of short 2X4s and some ratchet straps, some long tapered punches or line up bars.
You can make your own line up tools with some long bolts, ground down to a point.
This allows you to tap them in with a hammer. The point will align the holes as they go in.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Use a floor jack, couple of short 2X4s and some ratchet straps, some long tapered punches or line up bars.
You can make your own line up tools with some long bolts, ground down to a point.
This allows you to tap them in with a hammer. The point will align the holes as they go in.
Thanks railroad, kind of followed that advice last night.

Rear is in. I set the unit on my floor jack at an angle, maybe 45°. Slid it under the car and raised her up. Got the pinion on the frame cross bar (towel for protection). At this point, I realized I'm going to need another hand or two. Called the wife down and had her operate the jack. Went pretty easy, quite honestly, until the last bolt that just would not go in. If I tapped it in, it would just push the sleeve out of the bushing. Ended up using a ratchet to turn it in while I supported the diff with a pry bar. Book doesn't call for Loctite, so I'll torque them down later. Another step forward.

e607e678a2ceeb045cd234bdb8aaeb9e.jpg

Last edited:

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Was reading ahead in the manual. Was reminded that I need to buy some gear oil for this diff. I'm assuming that they ship dry.

This is what the book calls for:

Motorcraft® Additive Friction Modifier (U.S.) XL-3 (U.S.) EST-M2C118-A
Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant XY-75W85-QL WSS-M2C942-A
Fill the rear axle with fluids.
Capacities
Fluid Amount
SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Hypoid Gear
Lubricant
3.15-3.30 pt (1.49-1.56 L)
Friction Modifier 3.0-3.5 oz (0.089-0.104 L)

Any opinions on better/different oils?

railroad

Established Member
Motorcraft is fine. Lotsa guys like Royal Purple. Wait until you get axles in, before filling. I think the fill level is about 1/4 inch below the fill plug. That is the plug at the bottom of the axles, level.
I have read, some used the upper plug, which can be used to fill, but not for checking level of lube.
If your diff has the clutch pack, use the friction modifier, put in first. If Torsen carrier, no friction modifier needed.
The diff may not hold the listed capacity, due to residual lube, from assembly, still in the housing.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Motorcraft is fine. Lotsa guys like Royal Purple. Wait until you get axles in, before filling. I think the fill level is about 1/4 inch below the fill plug. That is the plug at the bottom of the axles, level.
I have read, some used the upper plug, which can be used to fill, but not for checking level of lube.
If your diff has the clutch pack, use the friction modifier, put in first. If Torsen carrier, no friction modifier needed.
The diff may not hold the listed capacity, due to residual lube, from assembly, still in the housing.
Axles go in next, so I'll fill after that. Not sure how someone would fill to the upper hole, that's where the vent line goes. I've always filled to the edge of the fill hole (lower). I'll keep an eye on where it ends up. Thanks for the info.

Morgan

Established Member
Was reading ahead in the manual. Was reminded that I need to buy some gear oil for this diff. I'm assuming that they ship dry.

This is what the book calls for:

Motorcraft® Additive Friction Modifier (U.S.) XL-3 (U.S.) EST-M2C118-A
Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant XY-75W85-QL WSS-M2C942-A
Fill the rear axle with fluids.
Capacities
Fluid Amount
SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Hypoid Gear
Lubricant
3.15-3.30 pt (1.49-1.56 L)
Friction Modifier 3.0-3.5 oz (0.089-0.104 L)

Any opinions on better/different oils?

This site is full of testing data and recommendations for oil- all content generated by an SAE engineer. Search for "gear oil" and you'll find quite a bit of information.

Users who are viewing this thread