My FFR AC Cobra build thread

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
The manual instructs you to cut off the ear of the spindle bracket. This was a bit nerve racking, cutting a brand new part, but I just dove right in. It needs to be cut off to clear the upper control arm adjustment. Knowing the why made this easier to cut.

Once I cut it off, I sanded it down to make it look more presentable. These are before and after sanding.
20240129_155654.jpeg

Your government is lying to you

Morgan

Established Member
Looks great.

Is this the type of project where you fully assemble to test fitment, adjust etc and then disassemble for painting and finishing?

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks great.

Is this the type of project where you fully assemble to test fitment, adjust etc and then disassemble for painting and finishing?
You kind of adjust as you go. There is some installing and removing, but once you're at "go-cart" stage, you pretty much have it all together. Then the body comes off for paint. Although, some say to paint with the body on. I'll be removing it for paint.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
@wizbangdoodle how's the process for getting your car registered?

From what I understand some states make it a pain in the ass.
Too be honest, I haven't checked into it yet. This summer would be as soon as I need to worry about it. I believe it involves an inspection and then it gets titled. Hopefully not too big of hassle, but it is Washington, so I expect it will be.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, a few more pictures. Completed rearend, almost. Found out they shorted me on the toe adjust arms, so I'm waiting for 2 M14x80mm bolts. Otherwise it's ready for brakes install.
Prepping the rotors is a pita. 12 small bolts and washers, all with a drop of red Loctite, torqued to 155 in/lbs. Then safety wire the whole works. This is why the build class takes three days and the build at home can take years.
20240131_175638.jpeg
20240131_175643.jpeg
20240131_175709.jpeg
20240131_103119.jpeg
20240131_113405.jpeg

ajaf1656

Established Member
Ok, a few more pictures. Completed rearend, almost. Found out they shorted me on the toe adjust arms, so I'm waiting for 2 M14x80mm bolts. Otherwise it's ready for brakes install.
Prepping the rotors is a pita. 12 small bolts and washers, all with a drop of red Loctite, torqued to 155 in/lbs. Then safety wire the whole works. This is why the build class takes three days and the build at home can take years. View attachment 1827066View attachment 1827067View attachment 1827068View attachment 1827069View attachment 1827070

The USAF crew chief part of my brain crashes when I look at that safety wire. Lol

ajaf1656

Established Member
I don’t have the instructions with me but from what I recall that looks correct according to the instructions
I wasn't trying to be mean about it. I do the same thing when I preflight my jet at work. Civilian safety wire is just a different standard. Lol
Here's a good picture of how the wire should look between fasteners...

safety__lockwire.jpeg

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
The problem I was having with the safety wire, was getting it threaded through the hole the direction I wanted. I just gave up and threaded it through however I could. Besides, it's kind of a belt and suspenders scenario. Instructions say the wire is optional unless you're tracking the car.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I have the same rotors, mine are assembled one on the car but still debating about safety wiring them, I have the wire and pliers, just doubt that it really necessary for a street car

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It probably isn't necessary, but I figured why not.

Not necessary but that's race car chit... lol. Looks awesome.

@ajaf1656 I'm with you. My days as a crew chief on the ol' UH-1, I had more safety wire cut from the inspectors than most have ever done. lol. Miles of wire for a two inch stretch. lol.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
I would either re-do that safety wire, or get rid of it entirely. Several are negative safety’s, in that they are actually attempting to loosen the bolt. If it makes a 2, you are good “2” go. If it makes an S, “Start” over. I know you said it’s optional, and only intended for track use, but I doubt that would pass tech if you ever decide to in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread