My FFR AC Cobra build thread

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
At the beginning of this thread, I gave my opinion of FFR Cobra Kit cars.
My opinion was based on what I saw first hand back in the early 2000's.
From what I see here, with your build, there has been a huge leap forward in quality.
You are doing a fantastic job. I am impressed.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
From what I see here, with your build, there has been a huge leap forward in quality.
Yeah I haven’t seen a donor build in 20 years.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you very much, that means a lot. I was always of the opinion that when building one of these, quality is fully on the builders shoulders.
You can build one much cheaper than I am. Donor car and basic parts, but I think it shows. I've upgraded several items and I'm considering other upgrades possibly during or after the build is complete. I just want to be satisfied with it once I'm finished.

Your government is lying to you

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, haven't posted for awhile, have had some delays and vacation.

Most of the sheetmetal that needs to be fitted. Second pic is the firewall/backside of the dash.
ddadd8fbbdb83c73ddba58ab5ea2f0cd.jpg
a972635f1d902520c7d913f3156acfbf.jpg

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Since I'm waiting for sheetmetal to get done, I moved on to the fuel tank.
First I installed all the hardware, float sender, pickup, filler tube and vent. Then bolted it up. Those straps took a bit of "massaging" to work.
I'm also not thrilled with the line they give you that goes from the tank to the filter. It's vinyl and kinks real easy. The book also says to mount the fuel filter on the 2x3 frame rail and shows a picture where they mount it. They are using a solid axle with a 3 link. I'm using an IRS. Part of the IRS frame work is welded exactly where they say to mount the filter.
3ad20e55f001f028e1f6587aaea11854.jpg
68220832f0670ebe5be246dc9bf30083.jpg
b36e6a70f081361f0afa89679ff28191.jpg

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Next is fuel lines. They give you these clamps for holding the lines to the frame. I'm looking for something a little more elegant. Anyone have ideas?
f710035ab926d177fc627423195ffe2e.jpg
Billet Specialties has some nice ones, not cheap though. I am using some double panel clamps that hold 2 hoses. I found them at T.I Performance, unfortunately they get shipped out of Australia's but they are nice pieces if that is what you are looking for. Be prepared for sticker shock, make sure you are sitting down when you google either of the above. I can snag a couple of pics if you’re interested

Last edited:

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Billet Specialties has some nice ones, not cheap though. I am using some double panel clamps that hold 2 hoses. I found them at T.I Performance, unfortunately they get shipped out of Australia's but they are nice pieces if that is what you are looking for. Be prepared for sticker shock, make sure you are sitting down when you google either of the above.
Very nice, very expensive. About $20/ea. I may have to just bite the bullet.

What I don't want, is to look under the car in a few years and see a bunch of rusty clamps. And I'm sure the ones they sent will rust, even if I never drive in the rain.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Was just looking for options and came across these.

Anyone ever use these? Funny thing is, they're just up the road from me about 20 minutes. I may run up there and take a look.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Was just looking for options and came across these.

Anyone ever use these? Funny thing is, they're just up the road from me about 20 minutes. I may run up there and take a look.

I have no experience with the ones you showed (They look badass though). For my hard fuel lines on my 65 I used those rubber type line clamps, similar to the ones provided to you, as they are under the car and will never be seen.

However, in my fender well where my hard brake lines run I used an aluminum clamping system. I'm not sure if they are Billet Specialties or not. I believe I got them from Speedway Motors.

They just keep the lines uniform and do not attach to the body. Since my hard lines are short and bent very close to the body it works well.
20210519_170206_resized.jpg

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
How much do you have to do to those panels? Cutting or bending?
They come pre-bent and generally fit pretty well. May need to do some minor trimming to make it "just right". It's mostly drilling holes for the rivets. I went with a narrower spacing on the rivets that can be seen, I think it looks cool. Anywhere else, they are spaced a bit further apart. Besides, all the panels get laid down with a sealant as well. It is the tedious part of the build because you don't really feel like you're making much progress. Panels go on and you think, wow, then all the panels come off.
I have no experience with the ones you showed (They look badass though). For my hard fuel lines on my 65 I used those rubber type line clamps, similar to the ones provided to you, as they are under the car and will never be seen.

However, in my fender well where my hard brake lines run I used an aluminum clamping system. I'm not sure if they are Billet Specialties or not. I believe I got them from Speedway Motors.

They just keep the lines uniform and do not attach to the body. Since my hard lines are short and bent very close to the body it works well.
View attachment 1833505
Those look like the Billet Specialties clamps, however, I saw several that share that design online. I like that look, but I would need single line clamps and they also need to attach to the frame. I'm thinking a trip up to Notchead today is in order.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Those look like the Billet Specialties clamps, however, I saw several that share that design online. I like that look, but I would need single line clamps and they also need to attach to the frame. I'm thinking a trip up to Notchead today is in order.
If you need single and something to attach to the frame rail something like this might work.

But, yeah, a trip to Notchead might be worth while.

Users who are viewing this thread