My cobra can't beat a GT

mrmustangman357

Established Member
going back to stock tune and will try next time. I asked him today and he said he shifted at 5800 so in all likelihood he was well into 4th when I was still wringing it out in 3rd :(

In regard to the rpm start I remember dropping to third to see if I can start out there and it sat at 3500 or so, but then I had to speed up to match his start speed. now that I think about it i probably was at 4000 when we started. We will all find out next time

lightning_2000

Established Member
some cars are stouter than others. driver mod helps alot to

i beat up on 98 cobra with a kenne bell.. had a 2000 gt with diablo but custom tuning by me and 410 gearing .. my gt was stock cams but made power to 6500 no problem.. row them shifts powershift. it picks up alot

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
You are being punk'd!

He is spraying a 100 shot on you!! :rockon:
I thought about that....especially given the post from mm-man357 below).
Honestly I think your gearing killed you. Hes hitting his Peak HP and Tq earlier than you are. Even though you have 3.55's, thats equaling his stock gearing, due to higher powerband in the 4v. It might also be your tune. Try and lower speed roll race, I would think a 1st gear roll would be better for you. 3500rpm start wont do anythign but take time to get moving. Even with 4.10s I wouldnt start a 3rd gear roll race at 3500rpm.
Uh, what? you lost me on that....me no understand a u.

going back to stock tune and will try next time. I asked him today and he said he shifted at 5800 so in all likelihood he was well into 4th when I was still wringing it out in 3rd :(

In regard to the rpm start I remember dropping to third to see if I can start out there and it sat at 3500 or so, but then I had to speed up to match his start speed. now that I think about it i probably was at 4000 when we started. We will all find out next time
Then I think Naz may be onto something...if you have 3.55s and was at 4000+ rpm and that guy pulled.......he punk'd you some how.

Sny714

Established Member
Uh, what? you lost me on that....me no understand a u.

What I meant by that was, the GT is hitting his peak hp/tq much earlier than the cobra. Even with the cobras 3.55's the GT with the 3.27s is still hitting his peaks before the cobra.

mrmustangman357

Established Member
I'm riding on 255/45/17s so we are probably pretty close for final gearing.

I pulled the plugs this week and they all look good, except one which was leaking past the threads (wtf?) so I replaced all plugs. all cylinders show 180 psi compression with number 3 at 150. vacuum gauge shows 21 inches of hg rock steady at idle. One thing i didn;t note for you guys is that the drivers side front has a hissing sound between 3000 and redline. it sounds kinda wierd like it has a turbo. I do have a steeda oil separator but i dont think thats what is making the noise. I thought it was a cat on its way out but the idle vacuum test doesn't trail off so i have no reason to suspect its plugged. Also the x pipe is tight. could this be cause for conern? Its been that way since i bought the car

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Hissing at the driver's side tends to be the PCV valve and its little grommet. If that thing isn't perfectly sealed you will get a bit of a leak, I dabbed a bit of RTV around the rim of the PCV valve just to make sure. Its a common annoyance on both the 4v's and 2v's.

Solo500

Established Member
Track

Went to the track last night.... horrible numbers. Couldn't do better than 15.2, so I let my dad race it and he couldn't do any better than me, and he's been racing for years! I first launched at 4k and ran a 15.6, then i tried launching from 1,500, and it was a 15.2. No differential brace or suspension mods, so I was opening it after I rolled forward. What do you think?

My Mods
-The Fix
-JBA Shorty Headers
-Stock Kumho Ecstas
-Flowmaster American Thunder Catback
-3.27 gears
-O/R X-Pipe
-NO TUNE!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Went to the track last night.... horrible numbers. Couldn't do better than 15.2, so I let my dad race it and he couldn't do any better than me, and he's been racing for years! I first launched at 4k and ran a 15.6, then i tried launching from 1,500, and it was a 15.2. No differential brace or suspension mods, so I was opening it after I rolled forward. What do you think?

My Mods
-The Fix
-JBA Shorty Headers
-Stock Kumho Ecstas
-Flowmaster American Thunder Catback
-3.27 gears
-O/R X-Pipe
-NO TUNE!

1) Shorty headers, didn't do much for performance.
2) Custom tune would be good to expand on mods, even over stock.

Having said those two things........stock tune, etc. you should easily be a second quicker.

What was your 60' time, and what were your shift points? I'm thinking either a prob. with the car, or short shifting like a mofo.

Oh, and no disrespect intended, but racing for years doesn't mean you can jump in any car and pull off some good numbers. all cars are setup differently.

ALso, since you have an O/R midpipe, did you turn off the O2's/Mils?

Last edited:

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Wow...even when I first got my license and took mine to the track I managed to pull off a 14.7 shifting at 5,500 rpm's. Something isn't right.

Solo500

Established Member
JBA's add 10rwhp & tq according to paul's hp, but still that's not much. I got 2.3 seconds 60'. I tried different shift points, from 5900 all the way close to redline and still achieved similiar results. Oh yah that's understandable but my dad knows my car just about as well as I do and knows where it makes it's horsepower.

I bought Mils but they don't work so my check engine light is still on. I know wheelhop is bad, but still, 15 seconds?

(edit) I should probably mention, I beat a s197 GT w/ exhaust when I was stock, from a dig! I beat a sn95 GT last night by only a second. :shrug:

P.S. When should I be shifting in first?

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
^^^ i used to shift at 6600-6700...when my car was N/A...went 13.30s at 106 with a catback and an Hpipe

Users who are viewing this thread