-3.55 gears
-Diablosport 93 tune

The 99 GT:
-JLT cold air intake
-BBK offroad h
-magnaflow catback
-Superchips tune
-stock 3.27 gears

We go from a 70 mph roll. I know I'm in third gear around 3400 rpm. he is in third too. we go at the same time. I pull 3 ft in front, but then he just slowly comes around me and in 1/8 mile he has a car on me, so I shut it down. He pulled on the top end on me, and I was taking it all the way to 6900 before shifting into 4th. he basically pulled a car ahead of me in the entire 3rd gear. I can't see how I didnt have him from the start. My car has a recent tuneup and all the stuff is in proper working order. any ideas?

Last edited:

Tremor

NO MERCY
Why dont you run him from a dig ? <--You should win

Here's some advice change your 3.55s to 4.30's-4.56 and get a JLT Rai.

Then come back and post the result's, which should be in your favor :read:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Why dont you run him from a dig ? <--You should win

Here's some advice change your 3.55s to 4.30's-4.56 and get a JLT Rai.

Then come back and post the result's, which should be in your favor :read:

he should be pulling that GT as he sits now

i beat plenty of a Exhaust,Midpipe, CAI GTs in my 01 when my car only had a K7N drop in...i pulled them especially hard up top unlike the OP

jessie jaramill

Established Member
i had a 01 bullitt with pullys, cold air, mass air 85, x pipe, catback and would beat on a buddys 97 with more mods, and would beat on his friends 01 with mods like yours.

Tremor

NO MERCY
he should be pulling that GT as he sits now

i beat plenty of a Exhaust,Midpipe, CAI GTs in my 01 when my car only had a K7N drop in...i pulled them especially hard up top unlike the OP

I hear you I beat alot of Gts when I was stock.

The most Important thing in his list of mods is the tune.

His tune might be his problem.

You have him on gear's and should have him on power as well.

Something's not right but I still recommend gear's and a jlt Rai for his setup.

Lumpydogs

Established Member
A 70 mph roll? In my day a rolling start was from 20-40mph on a side street.

At 70 mph you are covering the 1/8 mile in 6.5 seconds without accelerating.

My, how times have changed.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
+1 on 70mph?..what?

Anywho, you listed Diablo 93 tune. Is that the box tune or a custom tune. With your mods and a box tune, you may be down on power via running too lean. Check your plugs to see if and how white they are and make sure they are gapped correctly. If you have the box tune, I personally would unload it and go back tot he stock tune until you can get some datalogging/custom dyno tune.

And why take it up to 6900?? That's too high as well.

Lumpydogs

Established Member
...And why take it up to 6900?? That's too high as well.

I didn't see that the first time through, good catch ponygt65 :thumbsup: Yes, 6900 is way too high. Given your mods I assume you were down under 200 ftlbs of torque at 6800 rpms.

Get that 99 cobra to a tuner and dyno!

01vert

Established Member
What the heck a 70 mph roll prove? Roll from 20 or 30 and check again. Ditto on the shifting at 6900

matted2thefloor

Established Member
What the heck a 70 mph roll prove? Roll from 20 or 30 and check again. Ditto on the shifting at 6900

That's what I was thinking when I read the post. When I'm deep in the throttle, I usually shift at 6200-6500. Don't the 4Vs make the majority of their power from 5800-6400? Either way, 6900 is living on the edge!!! (for me anyway) :eek:

Lumpydogs

Established Member
That's what I was thinking when I read the post. When I'm deep in the throttle, I usually shift at 6200-6500. Don't the 4Vs make the majority of their power from 5800-6400? Either way, 6900 is living on the edge!!! (for me anyway) :eek:

My stock 2001 Cobra with the typical bolt ons made peak horsepower above 270rwhp from 4900-6800 rpm but peak torque above 270 rwtq from 3800-5500 rpm.

mrmustangman357

Established Member
Im going on a rhim! What about the good old driver mod???

umm how can a driver mod do ANYTHING from a roll in the same exact gear? have you ever even driven a car?

we went from a 70 roll because we were joking around and it was on the highway. plus I left at 3400 so that's really an apples to apples comparo between cars if I ever saw one. I shifted at 6900 because i thought these motors like to pull all the way to redline. By the time I even got to 6000 he was pulling me so it didn't really lay on its face after 6000.

What I don't understand is I have a min 60 hp on him and he still pulled me under identical conditions. I think the diablo tuner is junk. it is a canned 93 octane tune. i've had so many issues with it because they dont put out the latest rev of their firmware. I might try switching back to the stock tune and running him. Will check plugs this week.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
It's not so much that the tuner is junk, but the canned tune is most definitely junk. And may I ask why 3.55's?

Jamie R.

Established Member
Do you need the car in 3rd with a 3.55 gear at 70mph? I have'nt ran with the stock gear in while so I can't remeber. If you can get away with leaving the car in 2nd at 70mph I would do that then shift to 3rd at 6800. These cars really have no torque so you want to be starting off with the car in the upper rpms. Finally that predator is'nt bad you just need a custom tune put in it while on the dyno. Pull the predator and try running him again. It's hard to believe you are getting beat!!

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

Users who are viewing this thread