My cobra can't beat a GT

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
I got 2.3 seconds 60'. I tried different shift points, from 5900 all the way close to redline and still achieved similiar results. I know wheelhop is bad, but still, 15 seconds?

P.S. When should I be shifting in first?

You're shifting correctly, 6800 RPM. For comparison, my 01 ran 15.2'ish easing off the line with 2.0 - 2.3 60' times when it was stock AT 8300' elevation adjusted for weather; temp, humidity, pressure. So, you have some issues to iron out.

You're check engine light might have you in limp mode, dialing back timing and enriching your a/f ratio. Get it turned off and fix your mil's (purchase a tuning device). Also, headers have a tendency to set off the knock sensors on 99/01's (sensitive to vibration harmonics) so they often need to be disabled.

Get a cheap datalogger so you can see what's going on with the timing. Than take it to a Dynojet dyno and get a few runs with a/f logs.

I suggest purchasing a tuner of some kind that has a datalogger built in. If you have a laptop (any will do), I suggest the Sniper Special Forces. It's affordable, comes with a customized canned tune for a starting point and allows datalogging as well as timing and a/f adjustments.

Keep us posted!

Todd

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
you sure you have a V8 under the hood?

j/k man but i think it might be time to take it to a shop and throw it on a dyno and see whats up...

02SVTV6

Established Member
let me get this right...you go from a 70 roll and shut down after the 1/8 th when he comes around ? Check your lack of driver mod and do digs not rolls. Learn.

Insert Fail Boat.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Went to the track last night.... horrible numbers. Couldn't do better than 15.2, so I let my dad race it and he couldn't do any better than me, and he's been racing for years! I first launched at 4k and ran a 15.6, then i tried launching from 1,500, and it was a 15.2. No differential brace or suspension mods, so I was opening it after I rolled forward. What do you think?

My Mods
-The Fix
-JBA Shorty Headers
-Stock Kumho Ecstas
-Flowmaster American Thunder Catback
-3.27 gears
-O/R X-Pipe
-NO TUNE!

Post all the info from your slips. ET only tells a part of the story.

mustang03

New Poster Old Lurker
Established Member
You said you were rolling out in first gear and then giving it all the gas, so what kinda mph did you run? Like po-po said the et doesnt tell everything about the run.

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
There is 100000% something wrong with your car. Get to a dyno or other diagnostic center and figure out WTF is going on.

My cousin had a 94 GT and consistantly ran mid 15's. That is with a car that is down over 100hp.

LS1_KILLA

Banned
at a 15,2 there isn't much you will beat. Watch out for some Neons pal!

whats your 60', your 1/8th E.T. & MPH, and your 1/4 Mile MPH? Its hard to tell what the car is doing when you just give us a 1/4 mile E.T.

Solo500

Established Member
6800 in first gear? I don't remember but I don't think I was taking 1st gear all the way to redline. First gear is really short. I think I shifted from first to second at 5,000-5,500rpm?

I have a laptop, but it's a mac so I can't use the datalogging software. :(
Will I be able to turn off the knock sensors and limp mode with just a handheld tuner? Also, what range for the a/f is a safe range? I'm thinking about getting a tuner and a wideband module.

60ft -- 2.3567
1/8 -- 9.9173
1000 -- 12.7789
1/4 -- 15.2211
MPH -- 92.46

Last edited:

Solo500

Established Member
I still don't remember if I shifted that low in first but even if I did, would it make a two second difference? Second and third were to 6800.

That is your issue right there. You are leaving a minimum of 1200 rpm on the table. Run the car in all gears to 6700 and powershift your way to a mid to low 13.

Last edited:

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
Maybe a bad clutch? Clogged cats?

Somethings def off. Your car should be faster. By the way, I like the Predator tuners I had on them on two Mustangs and was pleased.

Solo500

Established Member
The car has only 39k and the clutch doesn't slip and engages properly. O/R midpipe so the cats can't be the problem... but thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to clean the MAF, get new spark plugs, fuel filter, tuner and then see how she's running from there.

Maybe a bad clutch? Clogged cats?

Somethings def off. Your car should be faster. By the way, I like the Predator tuners I had on them on two Mustangs and was pleased.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
POST THE REST OF YOUR SLIP!!!!!

No one can give you a clue if we don't know all the details.

For motivation: my '88 GT with a mild motor and a procharger went 14.2. The kicker....it went [email protected] on street tires going sideways down the track. Something looks WAY off with the quarter mile time, but looking at the trap speed its suddenly obvious whats going on.

Last edited:

LS1_KILLA

Banned
92 mph trap speed.. so it looks like somethings wrong.. either that or you really cant shift. you should be trapping 100-105..

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
POST THE REST OF YOUR SLIP!!!!!

No one can give you a clue if we don't know all the details.

For motivation: my '88 GT with a mild motor and a procharger went 14.2. The kicker....it went [email protected] on street tires going sideways down the track.

sounds like me going 12.0s at 119-120 lol

Solo500

Established Member
REACTION -- .3191
60ft -- 2.3567
330ft -- 6.5689
1/8 -- 9.9173
1/8MPH -- 73.73
1000 -- 12.7789
1000MPH -- NONE
1/4 -- 15.2211
MPH -- 92.46