My buds 93 RX-7 Single Turbo 617rwhp!!!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
You wouldn't believe the heated debates on that subject. Rotary guys look at that as sacreligious...seriously. I would do it though. I'm a car guy...not Ford, Chevy, Rotary or otherwise.

I love these RX7s and want one someday eventually. I would love to mess with the rotary as I never have and find them to be interesting and unique for what they can do, but I also like the idea of running a cammed LS3 or something.

No reason to dog these cars imo. All cars have had their problems, especially our Mustangs but when you like a car enough you're willing to deal with it's problems. As long as it wasn't my only car I don't think I'd mind dealing with a busted rotary as long as I could fix it. I'm sure I'd reach a breaking point if it was really THAT bad and just throw an LS motor in it, but the looks and dynamics of the car are incredible. It's one of the most underrated cars imo and one of the coolest the Japanese have ever created.

25psi

Established Member
:dw::??: What is unsafe about any other motor at 512rwhp? I see nothing unsafe about a cobra at 512rwhp nor an ls1-3-6-7 at that power level. Its making great power but reliability will never be there for it like bigger motors

I've seen stock C6Z's blow up at an autocross.

3sgte
4g63
K20
2jz
Rb

Doesn't matter about the motor displacement. Furthermore, you can't compare a rotatory to a piston design.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Yes, you're correct and apologize for my error. When I bought mine it was mostly stock but I had a downpipe, full exhaust, Apexi PFC and HKS Intake and it made 280rwhp @ 10psi shortly after I bought it. My error on the stock specs.

I definitely believe the number with the minor mods. Few as they may be, it's awesome how much power can be gained for cheap on the factory forced induction cars :rockon:

I'd love to pick one up if I had more money, but it's just a little too far down my list. Maybe someday after I get a couple more cars on my wish list. Of course I'm tou of room for more cars, but that's never stopped me before, lol.

Last edited:

95SC

Banned
I really like the body style but not a fan of that engine.I wouldn't mind having one with a LSx engine .

Dave_6

Established Member
Nice #'s! I wouldn't mind having one of those cars with an LS motor swap or maybe a Buick GN motor swap!:burnout:

Not sure how close you guys are to Steele, AL... but I'm planning on taking the coupe there this Saturday to test the new suspension setup!:beer:

Im ~45 mins away. I havent been up there in a loooong time though.

Mr Rx-7 tt

Established Member
Regardless of your specific situation, every rotary i've ever seen is recently rebuilt with a virtual appointment for the next.
The engines are reliable if they have a few upgrades made to them which the factory neglected. If you want more power than you build the engine accordingly to handle the power. I have seen the non-turbo engines go 250-300,000 miles before needeing a rebuild. I have seen plenty of 400 rwhp plus engines with 100,000 plus and running fine.

Users who are viewing this thread