My buds 93 RX-7 Single Turbo 617rwhp!!!

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
:dw::??: What is unsafe about any other motor at 512rwhp? I see nothing unsafe about a cobra at 512rwhp nor an ls1-3-6-7 at that power level. Its making great power but reliability will never be there for it like bigger motors

I was speaking of the 600rwhp and above. I'm not saying you can't make it safe, I'm just saying that once you keep increasing power beyond this mark you become more and more unsafe...motor wise.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
I don't know much about them, but I have a hard time believing that they make 280rwhp bone stock. Weren't they rated at 255 flywheel? Also, if they were way underrated and made 280 to the ground then I'd expect them to be alot faster in stock form since they are so light, trapping in the range of 107-108mph.

Yes, you're correct and apologize for my error. When I bought mine it was mostly stock but I had a downpipe, full exhaust, Apexi PFC and HKS Intake and it made 280rwhp @ 10psi shortly after I bought it. My error on the stock specs.

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
What a crappy engine design. The bodies are amazing though.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member

Umm...I know the rotary isn't for everybody, and it sure took me some time to understand the specifics of the internal workings combined with the fine tuning of the ecu...but I never had the first engine problem out of mine and I ran the heck out of it but I'm on my third Cobra motor :cuss:

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
Umm...I know the rotary isn't for everybody, and it sure took me some time to understand the specifics of the internal workings combined with the fine tuning of the ecu...but I never had the first engine problem out of mine and I ran the heck out of it but I'm on my third Cobra motor :cuss:

Regardless of your specific situation, every rotary i've ever seen is recently rebuilt with a virtual appointment for the next.

turbodrx7

Established Member

Ha! While most people do really just hear things and decide how they want to "rate" the rotary. The main thing is, any engine when put under stress will break, and most engines can handle power...with the rotary, the margin for error is so slim that detonation occurs quickly. As opposed to a piston motor where it is more forgiving and doesnt nuke itself at first sign of detonation. Thats all.

It all ways...the rotary is one of the best designed engines ever made. It has 3 moving parts, the e-shaft, and the rotors. Thats it...

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
Ha! While most people do really just hear things and decide how they want to "rate" the rotary.

How many rebuilds have you been through?

I know quite a few guys with them, so it's more than just "hearing things". Nice try though.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
It's not the engine design that's crappy, it's the apex seals. All they are, are weak piston rings and they usually break because of poor tuning and running too much psi. I'm not saying they are better than any other engine design by no means, just simply that there are a lot fewer of them out there. I would say given the number of rotaries out there, that there are just as many V8 motors that blow per V8 car as there are rotary motors per rotary car.

FORCE FED

Ridin da train!
Established Member
Nice #'s! I wouldn't mind having one of those cars with an LS motor swap or maybe a Buick GN motor swap!:burnout:

Sick! Are you both from the Birmingham area?

He's in Huntsville, I'm in Muscle Shoals.

Not sure how close you guys are to Steele, AL... but I'm planning on taking the coupe there this Saturday to test the new suspension setup!:beer:

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
I want one..... after the rotary lets go, throw a LS motor in it!

You wouldn't believe the heated debates on that subject. Rotary guys look at that as sacreligious...seriously. I would do it though. I'm a car guy...not Ford, Chevy, Rotary or otherwise.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Not sure how close you guys are to Steele, AL... but I'm planning on taking the coupe there this Saturday to test the new suspension setup!:beer:

Yeah, Steele is about 3 1/2 hours from me. Maybe we could meet up some other time. I plan on going to the 45th Anniversary Mustang Show and Ride at Barber's in B'ham next month though. 3,000 Mustangs expected :rockon:

FORCE FED

Ridin da train!
Established Member
Yeah, Steele is about 3 1/2 hours from me. Maybe we could meet up some other time. I plan on going to the 45th Anniversary Mustang Show and Ride at Barber's in B'ham next month though. 3,000 Mustangs expected :rockon:

Sounds good. I have a few friends that are going to the B'ham show next month also and they have been trying to talk me into taking the cobra down with them. Still thinking about it, but FFW Commerce is that same weekend. B'ham dose sound like a pretty cool event.:beer:

turbodrx7

Established Member
How many rebuilds have you been through?

I know quite a few guys with them, so it's more than just "hearing things". Nice try though.

I have done 1 rebuild in 4 years. Its all about maintance and taking car of the car. Your buddies must be lacking this... Nice try though :poke:

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Regardless of your specific situation, every rotary i've ever seen is recently rebuilt with a virtual appointment for the next.

108k miles, original, 25 years old, and still has perfect compression and oil consumption. Not turbo though. :lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread