My Brand New F150, Problems Already

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
TL;DR
I think my engine is consuming too much oil, especially for a truck less than a month old and talking to dealerships about issues is about like talking to a brick wall BUT I found a discrepancy between the Ford service manual and the owners manual.

Hey guys, sorry this is long. The biggest issue I have is down at the bottom. just bought a brand new F150. It came off the line 11/14/2021, but its a '21 model... not sure why that is, but ok. Here are some details of the truck and then after that I will post the issues I am having. Some are from Ford, some are from life in general.

2021 F150 XLT 4x4
3.5L Eco Boost
10 Speed
Crew Cab
6.5' Bed, Lined with power outlet and bed lights.
Full Glass Roof
Bigger Dash Screen, trailer backing system thing, zone lighting, heated cloth interior, etc.

Purchased from Donley Ford in Shelby, Ohio
Sticker price was ~$60k. They sold it at MSRP, no market adjustment
I am a Z Plan eligible buyer
After adding a 72 Month bumper to bumper and lifetime powertrain warranty (about $3k) I was out the door at $54K, so I got a really good deal on it.. especially considering I live in Reno and they refuse to honor the factory employee plans AND have a $5k-$7.5k mark up on all vehicles.

Problems:

1.) During the drive from Ohio to Reno, a semi popped out in front of me in Wyoming while he was playing leap from with his buddies going .000089mph faster than the other truck while climbing a mountain. He went to far while pulling out in front of me and kicked rocks everywhere. Caused a 13" crack in my windshield and about 75 rock chips in the front end, most of which went all the way to bare metal. Had to start a Geico claim for everything...the windshield alone is $880. I am guessing about $6,500 worth of paint and windshield damage. THE TRUCK WAS 9 DAYS OLD!
I had an appointment to get PPF done to it, but never got the chance before Cleetus did me wrong. Not Fords fault at all, obviously.

2.) Sync 4 System keeps acting up. Continually disconnects and reconnects both my android and my wifes iPhone, depending on whos driving. After a phone call, call is disconnected on phone and screen. Phone call will go away on the screen only to reappear 3 or 4 seconds later as if the phone call is still active, but the phone shows the call is over and done with. I have to disconnect bluetooth and then add it again every time I make a phone call. Not really impressed with it and its super annoying.

3.) Factory Ford Paint Defect. In my two tone, looks like the gray bottom trim paint was still wet and someone at the factory brushed up against it. Also, there's about 7 or 8 spots that have dirt in the paint. Ford is going to have it looked at by a local body shop and I am trying to get that corrected at the same time the rock chips are taken care of. I didn't initially see the defect because it rained for about 10 days straight after the purchase. The truck wasn't clean and dry until I got it to Reno. Doesnt sound like getting it fixed will be an issue, but Corwin Ford refuses to give me a loaner while the factory defects are corrected because I didnt purchase the vehicle from them.... which 1-800 Ford said is the complaint they get 80% of the time from customers across the country.

4.) PROBABLY THE BIGGEST ISSUE I HAVE.
When i purchased the vehicle, I asked the dealership owner (who happened to be there) if there was a break in period or period that I could tow, etc. He said no, Ford doesn't require that anymore. He went on to say that you also don't have to do an early oil change at all and that the new oil change intervals are 10,000 miles.

Fast forward to 5,000 miles (trip to NJ from Ohio and then the trip out home) and I change the oil because I am not one who actually trusts oil past 5k miles. The concern begins with the fact I only pulled 5 quarts out of the truck. I had the truck positioned in a way that there was a slight incline, allowing for the oil to flow to the drain plug a little better. I also drained the old filter into the oil collection pan as well. Now I understand there may be a little residual in the heads...maybe and that even though I emptied the filter into the pan the filter is still saturated with oil....but not an entire quart. I put Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oils and corresponding filter in it.

I go to the Ford dealership in Reno (Corwin Ford) the next morning for some parts for my GT500. While I was there I go to the service center and ask one of the "Senior Advisers" how they determine if an engine has an oil consumption problem. He asks me why I think it may have one. I tell him the above. He says "Well you should be changing your oil at 3.5k miles, no more than 5k miles." I told him, yeah I get that, but the trucks owners manual AND the oil life calibration is set for 10k mile oil changes. He says "OMG, you cannot go 10k miles on an oil change." I told him that I understood why he thinks that and agreed that I change my oil at 5k....BUT, literally the manual in which you reference such things (owners manual) says it can go 10k miles. He says " I have no idea why Ford does that, but its wrong."

The technician comes back into the office with the service manual and shows the "process for checking is to change the oil at the dealership to exact specs and then put tamper proof tape on the dipstick, oil fill cap and drain plug. Then the customer comes in at 1k intervals to check. It is normal for this truck to use 1 quart of oil per 7,000 miles. "

I responded with 2 things... first, according to the book, my truck is using too much oil. I used a full quart at 5k miles and secondly, how is it possible that the service manual calls for 1 qt used every 7k miles, but allows for 10k oil change. So I ask him and the service advisor if its technically correct that I could be at 7k into my oil change, drive my truck at max performance (14,100lb load on a hot day up a grade at speed) be at least 1 qt low and that's normal? There's no way that's correct.

First...I cannot stand talking to the dealership advisors because they are always right and everyone else, including other dealers are totally wrong. I called the 1-800 Ford number and they confirmed the 10k oil change.

Anyone have any opinions on this? Sorry its really long.

Attachments

• Truck.png
    Truck.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 187
  • TruckFactorydefect.png
    TruckFactorydefect.png
    450.2 KB · Views: 168
  • truck2.png
    truck2.png
    729.3 KB · Views: 161
  • truck4.png
    truck4.png
    884.7 KB · Views: 165

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I'd do my own oil consumption check to make sure what it is consuming. Run it for 3,000 miles checking every 1,000 miles to see how much oil it takes to bring up to same mark on the dipstick. Pursue remedies, if needed, based on results.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
1.) Ford won't let you claim an oil usage issue on the first oil change, because who's to say it didn't have less than the required 6 quarts on the first fill.
2.) It's a simple process, hopefully while you were there you went ahead and had them change your oil and mark it to come back and check it for the issue.

The SYNC issue isn't super uncommon. I'd verify you have the latest update.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd do my own oil consumption check to make sure what it is consuming. Run it for 3,000 miles checking every 1,000 miles to see how much oil it takes to bring up to same mark on the dipstick. Pursue remedies, if needed, based on results.
This!

1.) Ford won't let you claim an oil usage issue on the first oil change, because who's to say it didn't have less than the required 6 quarts on the first fill.
2.) It's a simple process, hopefully while you were there you went ahead and had them change your oil and mark it to come back and check it for the issue.

The SYNC issue isn't super uncommon. I'd verify you have the latest update.
And this!!

The dipstick is marked for a reason. Start with a fresh change of oil, adding exacting the amount stated in your Owner's Manual. Follow Weatherman's advice. After 3,000 miles of weekly checking you'll definitely see if you're using more oil than is normal.

Sorry to hear that your new (at the time) truck got pummelled by rocks from a semi.

Last edited:

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I'd monitor the oil consumption and have the dealer note it. As for the sync have them look at it. Mine needed an update as it shut off a few times and the GPS had me on Dearborn Ave in MI when I was clearly in NJ at the time. Both cleared up after I shut the truck off and let it sit for a few minutes.

Ford will take care of any paint defects. My 2016 Ingot silver had over spray on the hood and they fixed it appropriately.

The worst part of your story is the rock chips. That really sucks. I had the same thing happen to me the day after I picked up my brand new 2012 Race red GT. I could've fricking choked the SOB. Luckily I only suffered one small chip in the hood that buffed out.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I once had a semi driving slow in the left lane apparently get pissed because he wouldn't pull onto the right lane and I flashed my high beams. He pulled instead left and partially drove on the shoulder where there were loose stones. I saw the stones fly by my car on my left but nothing hit my car. It was obvious why he did it. I was pissed, but it would have served no purpose in maybe passing him and do something stupid, so I passed and kept going. I was more happy no stones hit my car.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I'll do my best to answer and clarify.

1.) Yes, I fully agree with changing your own oil no later than 5k miles, monitoring these things yourself, etc. I also fully understand that there are a lot of variables in my first change that could throw off data, such as how much oil was in the filter even after I dumped it out, how much oil was added on the assembly line, etc.

The issue was more with what Ford was allowing to be "normal." I find it hard to believe that a brand new engine, or worn out one for that matter could be considered operating within normal specs for 3,000 miles (from 7k-10k) down a quart of oil. I would understand if they "recommend an oil change at 7k instead of 10k, but it seems irrational to me to allow that.

2.) Yeah, I am thinking software for the Sync issue myself.

3.) I have no doubt that Ford will take care of the paint defects, it was kind of a cherry on top of a shit sandwich with everything else going on. I think more than the defect itself, the thing pissing me off the most was the dealer refusing to provide a loaner or even entertain that due to me not buying the truck there. The truck is literally a month old. Ford customer service basically advised they get complaints of dealerships not taking care of customers more times than not. This is due to them being privately owned. I work at Tesla and can tell you the way Elon does it with Tesla owned "stores" and not private dealerships is the way to go.

4.) The rock chip incident just makes me want to punch an infant in the face. I used to live in Ohio and was a police officer. Under Ohio law, anything that comes off a truck that is in motion, striking another vehicle is considered a crash. It doesn't matter if the truck is hauling couches, cars or aggregate suck as rocks. I actually had a trucking company pay for a front end to be repainted due to this. I was able to get photos of the truck while in motion, the specific company and truck information.

In this particular incident with my new truck, the weather and location did not allow for me to gather the trucks information safely and the truck was completely covered in road grime and dirt. Plus, I'm not sure what Wyoming's laws say about situations like this. Here in Nevada, rock trucks seem to constitute about every 4th vehicle on the road. They all have signs on the back that say "Not responsible for rock chips." While I have little faith in any sticker a company places on a truck having any bearing on lawful liability, I wouldn't be surprised if the insane mining industry has actually lobbied for legislation that protects them from liability claims.

5.) No, they did not perform the oil change and process yet. 1 reason being they were completely booked out for 5 weeks, the 2nd reason being I didn't want to throw the oil I literally just put in with 0 miles on it out and Ford wasn't giving me money back for it and I would have to pay for the new change at Ford as well until a warranty issue was discovered. I'll do it the next change.

6.) Yes, the blue tape was to highlight areas of damage for Geico claims to get an idea of estimate. I was painters tape, did not cause any additional issues

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They're 5 weeks out for an oil change and couldn't get a guy in who arguably has had one of the worst new vehicle ownership experiences period? Give me a break.

I would've changed it.

Sent from my Potato

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ya I would have bit the bullet and let them change it to get the process started, seems like insanity that they couldn't have rolled it around the corner and done an oil change in ~15 minutes

Seems like 1 quart of usage between oil changes has been the standard for a while, which is interesting since it used to be 3k intervals.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
If they could of done it then or even a reasonable time, I would have. The other thought is if it truly has an oil consumption issue, chances are its not going to get better. Not sure what the service manual calls for as far as what to do or replace if it is found to be bad, but worst case scenario its obviously still under warranty.

So far dealing with Corwin Ford of Reno... I think I'd rather shove a pine cone in my ass than deal with them again.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
ya I would have bit the bullet and let them change it to get the process started, seems like insanity that they couldn't have rolled it around the corner and done an oil change in ~15 minutes

Seems like 1 quart of usage between oil changes has been the standard for a while, which is interesting since it used to be 3k intervals.
My '12 Ecoboost used quite a bit of oil, but it also had 220k on it. I did the mod of drilling a tiny weep hole in the bottom of the intercooler. Normal to see oil spots in the drive way sometimes depending on temp. Crazy how much oil made it into the intake

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My '12 Ecoboost used quite a bit of oil, but it also had 220k on it. I did the mod of drilling a tiny weep hole in the bottom of the intercooler. Normal to see oil spots in the drive way sometimes depending on temp. Crazy how much oil made it into the intake

interesting, Im up to 135k on my 12 ecoboost and doesnt use a drop. I've got a hole drilled in the intercooler as well and don't see anything on the ground. I don't have any catch cans either

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting and I'll be following this thread. My truck is a 2021 with a 3.5 Ecoboost. I'm creeping up on 2k miles and I've had the truck since the end of July.

I planned on doing my first oil change around 2,500 miles. I don't care what Ford says. Plus they still need to fix the rattle sound that's right by my left ear where the two doors meet. Drives me nuts.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So I hope that you'll be looking for another Ford dealership to handle your F150 going forward, once the current issues are resolved? This one does not deserve your business.

So, two weeks ago I called my Genesis dealer to schedule my first oil/filter change, and to check a slight wheel/tire vibration between 35-40mph. They were booked almost 3 weeks out. But, the service advisor told me to come in that Friday morning (unscheduled) and they would fit me in. THAT'S good customer service.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Ford will pay for a loaner up to $25/day for warranty work. Screw that dealer. Call Ford customer service and start squeaking. Now you may have to wait for a loaner.
As to the oil consumption I've never had a problem in my '15 T-350 3.5tt, '16 F-150 3.5tt, my '19 3.5tt, or my '21 2.7tt.
But I religiously change the oil at 5,000 miles. For reference VW used to say a quart per 1000 miles was acceptable when I sold them back in the '90's. Imagine all the Jetta girls with blown motors. Ah........The Jetta girls... different story. Now the Golf girls, they were down right freaks.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Interesting and I'll be following this thread. My truck is a 2021 with a 3.5 Ecoboost. I'm creeping up on 2k miles and I've had the truck since the end of July.

I planned on doing my first oil change around 2,500 miles. I don't care what Ford says. Plus they still need to fix the rattle sound that's right by my left ear where the two doors meet. Drives me nuts.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
OMG, my drivers side door panel rattles constantly lol. Drives me insane

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Ford will pay for a loaner up to $25/day for warranty work. Screw that dealer. Call Ford customer service and start squeaking. Now you may have to wait for a loaner.
As to the oil consumption I've never had a problem in my '15 T-350 3.5tt, '16 F-150 3.5tt, my '19 3.5tt, or my '21 2.7tt.
But I religiously change the oil at 5,000 miles. For reference VW used to say a quart per 1000 miles was acceptable when I sold them back in the '90's. Imagine all the Jetta girls with blown motors. Ah........The Jetta girls... different story. Now the Golf girls, they were down right freaks.
Yeah Ford 1-800 will take care of it, but I'm basically having to do all the leg work instead of the dealer. I'm also religious about oil changes. My GT500 gets changed by time rather than miles and that's an expensive change, but not worth risking a motor for.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
The water in the intercooler is not supposed to an issue anymore. My 18 2.7 doesn’t use a drop from what I can see at 5K changes. I did just order a UPR catch can for it. 35K miles.

Users who are viewing this thread