My Boss 302 journey so far...

NJSP117

Established Member
How do you like that LED light bar on the front?

Matt
The light bar is great. I have that one on the bar and a 40 inch one behind the grill. Lights up the night like its daytime when both are on....
I had 4 Hellas on the bar on my 11 raptor, but they threw yellow light. These bars throw white lit identical to the HIDs.

NJSP117

Established Member
Beautiful car and congrats! Great story too. Looking forward to seeing how you like it.

I had a 2007 GT500 with a 2.9 Whipple. I honestly find my Boss much more fun to drive, especially with the off road X pipe, Steeda CAI and AED tune.

You don't give up too much with the Boss, power wise...around town. Open highway it would gets it's lunch handed to it by a Shelby, but to prove my point I raced a 4.10, pulley, tune, CAI, drag radial GT500 over the weekend a couple of times at our local track. The Boss would be ahead by the 330' mark, equal in the 1/8 and within a MPH or 2, but across the finish line he had the better trap. Our first runs were 12.70 at 119 for GT500 ( he had traction issues, not me, lol) to my 12.35 at 113. Second run GT500 went 12.20 at 119 to my 12.30 at 115. Through the 1/8 they were about equal and 1,000' mark still about the same.

So this confirmed my theory that the little 302 is damn quick and will hang with almost anything to about 80 MPH, after that the little engine that could is revving to the moon and about out of steam compared to a blower car. It is SO fun revving these cars hard though!

Highly recommend the AED tune. 8300 rpm rev limit and the car will pull clean and shift great even at 8k.

Yeah, for a naturally aspirated car, this thing is awesome. I have not even had a chance to get on it yet. I've had it since Monday night, but only have about 50 miles on it so far....so I'm waiting till a couple hundred are on there until I start to hammer it...
I enjoy driving it around town and I'm on rural roads much more than I'm on the highway, so this is the perfect blend of power and handling...
Fun as hell to drive, sounds great, and turns a lot of heads....not to mention the storied pedigree of the original Boss 302

Boss949

Established Member
Congrats, what a great looking car and your observations coming from a Shelby are a great read.

Raptor could be next for us. We would rather drive than fly, so the 2010 Avalanche is awesome on the road, but I got to go Ford with the next truck. Raptor good on long distance runs?

Para81

Established Member
Beautiful car and congrats! Great story too. Looking forward to seeing how you like it.

I had a 2007 GT500 with a 2.9 Whipple. I honestly find my Boss much more fun to drive, especially with the off road X pipe, Steeda CAI and AED tune.

You don't give up too much with the Boss, power wise...around town. Open highway it would gets it's lunch handed to it by a Shelby, but to prove my point I raced a 4.10, pulley, tune, CAI, drag radial GT500 over the weekend a couple of times at our local track. The Boss would be ahead by the 330' mark, equal in the 1/8 and within a MPH or 2, but across the finish line he had the better trap. Our first runs were 12.70 at 119 for GT500 ( he had traction issues, not me, lol) to my 12.35 at 113. Second run GT500 went 12.20 at 119 to my 12.30 at 115. Through the 1/8 they were about equal and 1,000' mark still about the same.

So this confirmed my theory that the little 302 is damn quick and will hang with almost anything to about 80 MPH, after that the little engine that could is revving to the moon and about out of steam compared to a blower car. It is SO fun revving these cars hard though!

Highly recommend the AED tune. 8300 rpm rev limit and the car will pull clean and shift great even at 8k.

Holy krap did you say 8300 rpm!! WOW. Tell me more about the AED tune, would like to hear about it.

Para81

Established Member
It's funny, I have not even SEEN or driven a Boss302 i've been working overseas for so long. Ordering one anyway. Too great of pedigree and specs to let slip buy. Very excited to have one, I think this car will have more soul than any I currently own.

NJSP117

Established Member
Congrats, what a great looking car and your observations coming from a Shelby are a great read.

Raptor could be next for us. We would rather drive than fly, so the 2010 Avalanche is awesome on the road, but I got to go Ford with the next truck. Raptor good on long distance runs?

Thanks!
The Raptor is great on long distance runs. The long travel suspension really eats up any bumps in the road and it's on road manners are excellent. I it drove up to NY yesterday to grab a set of wheels and tires for the Boss. 75 miles each way and it's like sitting in a comfortable, well bolstered chair...
Gas mileage is horrible at 14mpg on the highway...but I didn't buy it for long travel trips....good luck! :beer:

NJSP117

Established Member
Sounds good. I'm hoping by Christmas but don't tell my wife that :nono:

Lol! My wife is still in shock that I bought a car over the phone in Florida without ever looking at it and that I had it shipped up to NJ...she thinks I'm more insane than she used to....:D

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Lol! My wife is still in shock that I bought a car over the phone in Florida without ever looking at it and that I had it shipped up to NJ...she thinks I'm more insane than she used to....:D

Haha, I can relate. I bought my Shelby used, 2k miles on it, out of Miami, FL and had it shipped here with only seeing pictures.

NJSP117

Established Member
Restrictor Plates Removed....

So after talking to Matt about the exhaust sound, I decided to take has advice and remove the restrictor plates to the side pipes.....
Went under the car last night and unbolted the side pipes and was really surprised to see a solid plate with a tiny hole blocking the exhaust....see pics below....
Anyway, WOW, what an increase in sound and rumble...sounds SOOO much better with out the plates....like a real racecar now! :dw:
I didn't even turn the radio on this morning...the exhaust really sounds THAT much better....very pleased with this car so far....

Plate1.jpg

Also had it tinted yesterday, pics of the tint to follow....

Next step this weekend is to replace the wheels with a set of 2012 SVTPP wheels...20 in back 19 up front....

Wheel.jpg

Will post pics of the wheels etc Saturday...sorry for the crappy pics....
More to follow!

NJSP117

Established Member
very nice. car should look real clean with the latest mods.

Thanks Nate! I hope the svtpp wheels look good....I think they will because the stripes on the car are a dark gray reflective color and the wheels are dark gray too....
But I do think black wheels look really good with the blue.....

Maybe I could get the svtpp wheels painted a low gloss black.
Has anyone had that done?

Dadz500

Established Member
Car is looking good Bill, and now sounding good too! I just can't get enough of mine and just look for excuses to drive it. I dropped the red one off with Brian today for the Trackey so I will let you know how that goes. I forgot to tell you today, I had the Barton shifter installed today when it was lowered, love the shifter, think it is safe to say I like it better then my MGW. Next week the Baers and wheels go on along with the Shelby spoiler and the GHIG Boss will be done (for now) and time to start the clone process on the red one.

NJSP117

Established Member
Car is looking good Bill, and now sounding good too! I just can't get enough of mine and just look for excuses to drive it. I dropped the red one off with Brian today for the Trackey so I will let you know how that goes. I forgot to tell you today, I had the Barton shifter installed today when it was lowered, love the shifter, think it is safe to say I like it better then my MGW. Next week the Baers and wheels go on along with the Shelby spoiler and the GHIG Boss will be done (for now) and time to start the clone process on the red one.

Thanks Matt! Yours is looking great as well! How long did it take to install the Barton? I was thinking of an MGW, but if you like it better, it may be another option....
I was considering lowering with the ford kit that I used for my GT500, but I might wait a bit until I decide what wheel and tire combo I'm going to run in the long run....going to install the SVTPP wheels this weekend and go from there....

svt1111

Established Member
I noticed you removed your sound baffles. Good move. Want even more fun?

Drive it with the TK and no baffles, the exhaust snapping and crackling right next to your head is bliss.

Want even more fun? Turn your shocks up to 5 all around. Then go find your favorite twisty road and open her up a bit. You will be shocked to see how much tighter and direct the car feels. Oh....and set the steering to "sport" if you still don't have TK yet.

These are the most fun Mustangs you can get right now IMHO. Little things left to tinker with from the factory is an added bonus!

86Fbody

Established Member
Or get even more fun by switching to a nice dual full exhaust and get rid of the side exits once they get annoying.

NJSP117

Established Member
I noticed you removed your sound baffles. Good move. Want even more fun?

Drive it with the TK and no baffles, the exhaust snapping and crackling right next to your head is bliss.

Want even more fun? Turn your shocks up to 5 all around. Then go find your favorite twisty road and open her up a bit. You will be shocked to see how much tighter and direct the car feels. Oh....and set the steering to "sport" if you still don't have TK yet.

These are the most fun Mustangs you can get right now IMHO. Little things left to tinker with from the factory is an added bonus!

I can't wait to start tweaking it more...it's a blast to drive....I ordered the trackey today...need to get the package and get it programmed next week...looking forward to it...I've heard it's a cool change...

Users who are viewing this thread