My 93 cobra light Resto, follow along!!

• Thread starter snakeplisskin93
  • Start date

BLK93GT

Established Member
If you have access to a rotary or a porter cable I can shoot you some tips. With the smaller orbital it is tough to do much cutting at all, but it looks good so far!

Here was my '00 Harley F150 original paint with 165,000 miles on it....DAILY DRIVEN..rain/snow you name it
DavesTruck065.jpg

DavesTruck057.jpg

Last edited:

WillyB93

Established Member
You might want to try some other buffing compound, maybe a tougher cut than what you are using. If you have a good body shop supply chain there go in and see what differences they have, If anything take the car and ask for a sample to see what it does.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I looked at that in the store, but my paint is beyond that, wetsanding is the only way to go when paint is very faded.

Nice job on the lights. Are the new ones smoked?

It was bad. The paint was so scratched. I mixed it up between black box and meguires ultimate compound. Te end results was excellent. That was the worst pic I had of it, but it was 10x worse then the pics shown.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
You should just invest in a Porter Cable. A cutting compound on a foam pad at high speed will give you nearly the same results, and then the polish applied will really bring out the shine.

S

snakeplisskin93

Thanks for the tips guys, the paint/clearcoat is very cloudy and I did a test spot with just the buffer. It helped but you can still see some cloudiness.

I don't mind doing the wetsanding and the worst parts are the hood and roof.
The roof has most of the clear gone.

I have used race glaze before in ny and that's more a professional compound.
I'll use up the meguiar's compound and then maybe look into a more aggressive cutting compound.

The pics last nite didn't come out well. I'll be doing more work on it this weekend. Woke up with a pinched nerve in my neck yesterday, so taking it easy for a couple days.

S

snakeplisskin93

Got some work done today on the cobra, kinky neck and all, lol. I painted the door handles and finished right fender and it came out REALLY GOOD!

Sunday I'm gonna do left fender and maybe start right door.:rockon:

S

snakeplisskin93

Worked on the right fender today and it came out ok, it's still has a little fogginess and the compound was clogging up quick, it was warm here again.

Going to hit it again tomorrow.

Here's a few pics, one from the parking garage actually came out good.

S

snakeplisskin93

Jammed on the cobra today for a bit. Wet sanded the right door all the way back to the gas door. Three steps 1000, 1500, 2000 grit. Came out really smooth as glass. Took a break and then later I buffed the door. Came out near perfect, but a few spots of cloudiness at the right angles when looking at it.

I'm gonna get a better compound, I could use a tougher cut.

Some parts of car come out mint, like right fender and some spots just have that bit of haze, like left fender and a bit on the right door.

I'm getting anal about it, lol, but this is going to come out pretty damn good!!

Some pics tomorrow if I get a chance, got some running around to do.

S

snakeplisskin93

Took a ride to the body supply place to see what they had. Real nice guy helped me out and we did some test spots with a few different grit compounds. I told him what I've done so far and what product I was using and he said the meguiars is a real fine compound, about 2000 grit.

I showed him the white cloudy areas on the side and he then called out another guy to look at it. He said it's like that because I'm close to breaking thru to the black, the clear is very thin.

We talked about what to do and he said to leave it alone. Well, that's not good enough for me, so this is when we tried a couple differnt products on the car. I wanted a tougher grit, so I wound up buying a 3M super rubbing compound, you can actually see the grit in it when you squeeze it out!!

When I got home earlier I tried some on the door with the white areas and it actually got ride of it. Not totally, but it doesn't look like white patches anymore, way more black looking. When you hand rub it on it sounds like sandpaper as you buff, I said it was gritty!!

Some more pics will be up next day or too.:rockon:

WillyB93

Established Member
Good deal, the old owner will be mad when they see what some time would do with the paint. If they would have done that they could have got more money out of it!

S

snakeplisskin93

Good deal, the old owner will be mad when they see what some time would do with the paint. If they would have done that they could have got more money out of it!

For sure! She was just looking to sell it, but she does want to see it when I'm done.

S

snakeplisskin93

Ok, getting really excited,lol. Some good results today. I went over both fenders and the whole right side with the new compound, then waxed it all and it looks really good. Cloudy white areas are pretty much gone unless you stick your face right up to the car. Very pleased with it.

Now for the bit of excitement. The roof, hood, top of wing and some of hatch all have exposed black were the clear is long gone.

I sanded an area on the wing down with 320,then 400, then 1000, then 2000 and just hand buffed it with the new stuff. It looks amazing!!:banana:

It's gonna take some time, but it should turn out fantastic.

Also to minimize the clouding by sanding to thin, I'm going to just wetsand with 2000 on the left side and rest of the sides/back of car.

Gonna go down and see if some pics will come out decent to post.

S

snakeplisskin93

This one slightly grainy. Also I haven't done anything yet below bodyside moulding.
Apr1502.jpg

S

snakeplisskin93

Rear wing test spot. I used the flash, the clear isn't white like in pic, just flash reflection. Look at reflection of bottle in the black paint, no clear! Pretty sharp!

Apr1506.gif

Users who are viewing this thread