My 93 cobra light Resto, follow along!!

• Thread starter snakeplisskin93
  • Start date
S

snakeplisskin93

Most of you know I picked up an original 93 cobra recently and it needs some work to be more presentable, mainly paint is faded pretty bad, mostly on top parts of the car.

I figured I'd start a light resto topic so you can see my progress.

First I'm going to wetsand paint and buff it out and I started yesterday with mixed results and some trial and error.

I bought a random orbital buffer from autozone and paper in the 1000,1500 and 2000 grit to wetsand. Made one booboo yesterday and that was I WS with 1000 grit and then tried to buff, but you could still see scratches. Plus the compound on the buffer would clog up quickly, thus building up on paint and a bitch to get off. I solved the buildup issue by just using a wet buff pad and wiping it off.

My results to say the least, sucked.:rollseyes

S

snakeplisskin93

With my ass results yesterday I figured out what I did wrong. I needed to sand up to 2000 grit and that's what I did today. 1500 first, then 2000.

I decided to abandon the buffer for now and just polish by hand to see how it went. It went well!! I plan to try the buffer after I do it by hand to bring shine out even more.

It will take longer, but I don't have the damn dried up buildup to deal with.

Here are some pics from today, I did the drivers side 1/3 of the hood and top of fender.

S

snakeplisskin93

Apr0302.jpg

WillyB93

Established Member
The buffer you got probably doesn't have the rpm level you need, my buddy that works in a body shop has always wet sanded up to the 2000 grit to get the srcatchs out. He also wets his buff pad sometimes too, your problem is probably the heat and humidity down there.

S

snakeplisskin93

More pics coming,just gotta download them. You'd laugh at the camera I'm using, it's an HP from the year 2000! still kicking! It's about the size of a traditional 35mm, lol.

Willy, yes it was warm the first day, but no humidity in vegas. The speed may be an issue, but going to still try it.

S

snakeplisskin93

What I did today is take all the cowl parts off, clean them and painted them.

Also I sanded and buffed the cowl and back edge of hood. The 2 lower windshield mouldings I have to touch up, I missed the leading edges.

These pics kinda suck, it was dark already and in the garage. Going to do more during the day tomorrow.

S

snakeplisskin93

Funny story, I went out to the bank today and after stopped by autozone to grab another pack of buff pads. I parked next to a toyota 4 runner painted in blackish primer. When I came out the beaner was painting it with spray cans!!

I was like great, nothing like paint dust on my freshly buffed areas.:rollseyes

I guess there's a right way(sand and buff) and the vato way, lol

Users who are viewing this thread