My 2003 Cobra is "Economically" totaled per insurance

Sp3edD3m0n

Established Member
Hi All,

So got in a car accident yesterday (my fault) and the insurance adjuster is saying my car is totaled. The damage isnt too crazy, new hood, fender, bumper, radiator support, radiator, lights etc.

They are offering me $12k if they take the car or $5500 if I keep the car. I will note that they said my car had a previous salvage claim due to theft (my physical title says its clean though) so they lowered by my settlement by $5k.

Should I keep the car or get rid of it. If I keep it, I am basically buying the car for 6500.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 433
  • Front2.jpg
    Front2.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 413
  • front3.jpg
    front3.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 439

GT350R

Established Member
Consider getting an independent appraisal and fighting them. It's funny whenever an insured person runs into your car, and they fix it they don't want to give anything for a lost value. Yet, when they want to total a car they want to dig up those same claims to devalue your car.

Of course more details on the car would help. We can ballpark the value.

Dombrocj

Established Member
Do you have the means to fix it? Id challenge them on those numbers too, try to get more for both options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT350R

Established Member
Too bad you're not local to Cleveland, there's a guy partying on a black one right now.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
What is the repair quote? If you take the $5500, you could likely sell the car for $10k. Powertrains are worth $7-8k.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I'd fight that all day.

That car will sell for 12k at the auctions that's probably why they offered you that.

If it has a clean title it's worth at LEAST 15 if the mileage isnt crazy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you run the VIN to verify what they are saying about salvage? That is going to matter a lot. If it's salvaged, then the $12k number is probably correct.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Keep it and turn it into a race car!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Did everyone miss the fact that it already has a savage claim? Anyway you should get some quotes on the cost of fixing it.

Also without knowing milage and other things its hard to help out but looking at i would say $12k is in the ball park

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
How many miles and what’s the condition otherwise? If it’s in good shape and you love the car, do a partial restore while you’re at it.
If it would need that of course

zredfire04

Established Member
$12k is a joke.

as stated, engine and trans is $7-8K. IRS is another $2500 easy. there's $10k without going into small parts or interior. salvage title or not, $12k is a joke number.

insurance companies thrive by denying claims and lowballing the claims they absolutely have to pay. don't let them get away with it.

Sp3edD3m0n

Established Member
My car has 95k miles and interior is in pretty good condition, however exterior would be decent. Its for the most part stock except for pulley, long-tube headers, exhaust, intake, mgw shifter.

So I went down to the Department of Motor Vehicles and pulled a inquiry on the title and it said no notes of it being salvaged. I sent a copy of that and my title to the insurance and I am waiting to hear back.

Last edited:

50stangpower

Established Member
This sounds like the title got washed and you bought it as a clean title vehicle. Essentially you got screwed from who you bought it from.

As others have said, get an estimate to fix it and make sure the frame isn't bent or the k-member pushed back.

Sp3edD3m0n

Established Member
Insurance came back adjusted their offer. Not sure which way to lean. They are offering me 17.5k for the car or 8k if I keep it. So I would basically be buying it back at 9.5k.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Insurance came back adjusted their offer. Not sure which way to lean. They are offering me 17.5k for the car or 8k if I keep it. So I would basically be buying it back at 9.5k.
Good deal, you can buy a very nice car for $20k. As others mentioned, find out what repairs cost to determine keep and fix for $8k is worth it.

$18k should easily get you another stock 90k mile car with an accident history and ho-hum condition.

MG0h3

Established Member

I see the math you are doing but I’d do it a different way.

What you paid for the car - 8k= current investment for a wrecked car.

If you would buy a wrecked cobra for that amount have at it. If not, take the 17.5 and get another.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread