Mustang Hood Latch Adjustment\Modification (Hood Slam Fix)

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Just did this last night and magic ! Been slamming my hood for 7 years and now it latches with a simple 12" drop. Great tip and writeup EvilCartman.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Awesome! Can't wait to do this. I've had mechanics not close my hood until I got there because they were afraid to slam it. Great thread.

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
Just finished mine tonight... I have had my termi for 7 weeks. And it has been a bitch to shut the hood. No matter how I adjustied it, It still took me 4 to 5 times slamming hood with both hands. One heat sink washer from a RC car and now drop it from 6" and shuts perfect...

Made my Night thanks...:banana:

Last edited:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Did mine today, used 2 washers. What a difference, don't need to worry about cracking the hood now.

SonicBlur2003

U.S.C.G.
Established Member
Got bored and found two washers and did this in ten minutes. Closes so much easier now. Thanks for the write up!

SATANG

Fawking Ayee
Established Member
I just put a terminator front bumper on my 04 GT and this saved me a lot of trouble since I have very little room between the bumper and the hood. Worked perfectly however I put a washer underneath the top screw holding the bracket down as well. It closes easily and lines up good but does anyone know if theres any harm in having that washer there?

xtremekustomz

Established Member
Great write up...Everyone knows you have to slam the hood to close it on any of these cars but after this mod it closes so nice! Thanks for the mod works great.

Hostlntent

Established Member
Sweetness, glad this was brought back up. I remember seeing this at some point while doing my Cobra research and now that I have finally seen my new to me Cobra "currently on deployment R&R" for the first time I definitely will be doing that this afternoon!

MysticRob

Established Member
Great write-up -- thanks!!

Just did this tonight in about 1hr total (including cleaning the area and greasing the spring and latch mechanism). The 4 plastic screws and grommets were a pain to get out though -- I got out 3, left the back passenger side one in, then just swiveled the plastic cover up and out of the way to get the work done. I held the washer on with electrical tape and just poked a hole through it to start the torx screw.

quad

Established Member
Just saw this thread. Very nice write up and the photos are great! I will have to do this. I am used to dropping the hood from a few inches up and it closes every time. I even do the same with my daily driver. Have not had issues with the hoods cracking or anything. I never liked the idea of pushing down on the hood for fear of denting it with my hands. I have seen that happen before with various autos. I drove a BMW in the past and at least with that car I could push down on the badge.

But I will do this anyways.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Excellent write up just did this mod this am works great now if spring would hurry up and get here.

Yulla

SVT Noob
Established Member
Thank you for this mod. I've been looking for a simple solution and this worked perfectly! I used 2 small washers.

Users who are viewing this thread