Mustang Hood Latch Adjustment\Modification (Hood Slam Fix)

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Evilcartman orignally posted this, but alot of people have had issues seeing that thread/deadlinks. Terminator-Fox saved a copy and emailed it out so I figured I would rehost for anyone that needs to fix the slamming the hood to get it to shut! :beer:

Mustang Hood Latch Adjustment\Modification
I found that no adjustment to the hood striker would help with the difficulty I had closing my hood. Tired of slamming the hood to get it to shut, I started looking at it and found a simple solution. I installed a washer that acted like a shim between the latch brace and the latch, raising the latch up just enough to make the hood close perfectly.
Required tools:
1) Small Phillips screw driver
2) Torx T-30
3) 5/16 socket or wrench
4) Medium sized washer
Approximate time to complete: 15 minutes

Step 1: Remove the 4 plastic screws along with the grommets they thread into.

Step 2: Remove the plastic cover.
hood1.jpg

Step 3: Remove the three 5/16th bolts and the T-30 Torx screw.
hood2.jpg

Step 4: Carefully remove the latch assembly and set it aside. It does has sharp edges.
hood3.jpg

Step 5: Make sure latch brace clip stays in place.
hood4.jpg

Step 6: Place washer on top of brace. I used a drop of silicon glue to keep in place, but it is not necessary.
hood5.jpg

Step 7: Close-up of washer. I used a fairly thick one. Two may be needed.
hood6.jpg

Step 8: Put latch back in place and get T-30 screw started. Don’t tighten completely.
hood7.jpg

Step 9: Tighten the three 5/16th bolts. Tighten the two forward facing bolts first, then the bolt on top, then the torx screw. Don’t over tighten the torx, the cheap clip won’t put up with it. I took the time to use touch up paint and paint the scratch screw heads and bracket. It is covered though so it doesn’t matter.
hood8.jpg

Step 10: Reinstall plastic cover. Install grommets first then plastic screws just push in.
hood9.jpg

Step 11: Close hood and check alignment on each side.
hood10.jpg

Step 12: Adjust bump stops under hood to get the hood flush with fenders.
hood11.jpg

Step 13: Check both sides.
hood12.jpg

Make sure that when the hood is closed and the bump stops are adjusted that the hood doesn’t float. Check it by closing the hood, pulling up and down on the hood to make sure it is not loose. Raising the latch too much and lowering the bump stops may make the hood loose. You are looking for the sweet spot between the three contact points on the front of the hood. If your hood still is difficult to shut you may try and install two washers stacked and make sure the latch is lined up with the hole in the hood.
By Evilcartman

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
Great job! :banana:

Seriously everyone with these cars should do this. Super simple, quick to do and works like a charm.

pkarol1

Established Member
nice writeup, i did this with my aftermarket hood. it wouldnt latch properly without a few washers there

Evilcartman

Established Member
I guess I should have posted the pictures directly in the thread instead of creating a word doc. Good to see other people can use this.

Black Sex

Established Member
I did all this. Works good. I used two washers at first and the hood shut easy but was out of alignment so I took one washer out and it shuts better. Now people don't have to look at me funny for slamming the hood from chest height

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
Completed today. If known earlier was all I needed to do, umm-well. Thx for write-up. 10 min job.

Evilcartman

Established Member
I changed the instructions slightly and put a page on my site. Check it out. I'm looking for constructive feedback. I just bought a 2012 5.0 for a daily driver and plan to mod it. I want to do some more instructional stuff for it but I would like to improve my methods.

Mustang Hood Mod - Evilcartman

terminatd

Established Member
Thanks for this post.. it worked..

I have an early 03 with the all black latch, I think they were revised some time in 03 to a silver latch, but good news.

I only needed to remove the top plastic piece and the torx screw. Did not have to remove the latch assembly with the painted bolts.

With the torx screw removed I managed to slip 2 washers in by pushing the bar aside and lifting on the latch assembly. Wiggled them into position with a screwdriver from the top and put the torx screw back in.

(I tried 1 washer and it wasn't enough. When I put in 2 washers I had to put them in together not individually)

Hood closes much easier now...

SilverNotch

Established Member
I did this completely without removing the torx nut. All l did was unscrew the rod that screws into the front lower part of the radiator core support. Then with having all the latch screws loosened I just moved the rod bracket up as far as I could get it and then I tightened everything and it worked. After slowly closing the hood to see the gaps I had to move the latch a little to the left and it lined up.

terminatd

Established Member
I did this completely without removing the torx nut. All l did was unscrew the rod that screws into the front lower part of the radiator core support. Then with having all the latch screws loosened I just moved the rod bracket up as far as I could get it and then I tightened everything and it worked. After slowly closing the hood to see the gaps I had to move the latch a little to the left and it lined up.

I did this completely using my mind, didn't touch the car at all :D

Seriously though, I didn't touch the latch bolts at all and risk cracking the paint, did consider that lower bolt.

So, it can be adjusted from the bottom mount of the support rod...:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread