MT82 Ideas

87hatchy

Established Member
Oh and, it's bullshit changing fluid will void your warranty. The dealer mech will just stick a finger in there and verify there is fluid in the trans and move on. He isn't going to to do some sort of CSI UOA on what's in there.

^this

mustangcobra93

Established Member
Mine is back in the shop for the third time for the same issue in my original post. The second time the dealer replaced a bunch of internal stuff in the tranny but in the end it didn't help at all and actually made reverse a little harder to get into. For anyone that has had this problem did it really ever get fixed?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Never had that problem and I never will.
i went ahead and bought a tremec as a prevention to any issues with my mt-82! In fact mt -82 works fine and is for sale!

Last edited:

08mojo

Established Member
I have a theory. . Mt82 owners that have had failures. Do you downshift? And not once or twice, but every stop, every time or at least 75% of the time or greater?? I'm at 30,000 miles on my Mt82 with stock ford fluid. I have no issues, yes its been raced, straight tracks and curved, I believe this transmission loves downshifting, like how you have to drive a corvette in figure 8's to stop rear end noise.. I think our transmissions need downshifts.

That's even more wear and tear on the synchros.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Have you tried the steal braided line? if not that helped quite a bit for me, that and the MGW, as well as swapping over from DOT3 to DOT4

kingnut

Established Member
with my 14gt 2nd gear seemed to be the only one that would grind if cold. once the car is fully warm it would go away. sometimes it wouldnt grind even when cold. also third gear had a little whine to it. nothing crazy though.

clinton2003

Established Member
Mine is back in the shop for the third time for the same issue in my original post. The second time the dealer replaced a bunch of internal stuff in the tranny but in the end it didn't help at all and actually made reverse a little harder to get into. For anyone that has had this problem did it really ever get fixed?

Every time my trans has failed, the only fix was a new trans. the 2nd time they tired repairing it a few times, and finally just replaced it.

First Trans, Shifted hard into 4th, never came out.
Second trans, Wouldnt stay in 2nd gear, kept popping out (tried taking to dealer ship before it got really bad, but it finally was so bad they had to take it)
Third Trans, So far perfect, less than 2k miles. Babying this transmission until i put in my built MT-82 from Rev Auto.

If the built trans fails, I'm going to do an auto swap.

2014GT

Established Member
Mine has finicky. Hard shifts in every gear until warm, then still super notchy. And high RPM shifts are super difficult, 5th and 6th high rpm shifts just don't happen.

I'm looking for a solution. I've always had friends with awful luck with autos, and always seemed like everyone with a manual trans had zero issues, even with boost and such. So I went ahead and got a MT82 over the Auto.

I don't want to take it into the dealer since I know there really isn't anything they can do to fix it. I plan on doing a MGW and separate reservoir with a good fluid... hopefully it'll help.

mustangcobra93

Established Member
Have you tried the steal braided line? if not that helped quite a bit for me, that and the MGW, as well as swapping over from DOT3 to DOT4

No, I have not tried the braided line. The car is 100% stock. It shouldn't require mods to get it to shift properly as much as these cars cost. It amazes me how bad this transmission has been when the other mustangs with T5's I've owned were awesome and held up to everything.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I always thought it was more of a shitty clutch, not so much the transmission

I agree with this and from some personal experiences with T56s/MN12 issues previously. Clutch drag/not getting full engagement is usually the culprit for notchy shifts and grinding, initially at least. The synchros will wear out and then of course its a problem inside the transmission at that point.

Knock on wood, no issues with this MT82 yet. If starts act up I will probably start with clutch hydraulics/line/fluid and transmission fluid change...

Last edited:

greyhk2

Established Member
My '14 is notchy at first too. Hope it doesn't get worse. Can't believe all these issues I get to read about on this forum. Grinding during everyday shifting in a low mileage car?! Does that still mean the car has "character"? I wonder when character slides over to POS.

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
I have a theory. . Mt82 owners that have had failures. Do you downshift? And not once or twice, but every stop, every time or at least 75% of the time or greater?? I'm at 30,000 miles on my Mt82 with stock ford fluid. I have no issues, yes its been raced, straight tracks and curved, I believe this transmission loves downshifting, like how you have to drive a corvette in figure 8's to stop rear end noise.. I think our transmissions need downshifts.

Love downshifting!!

lchauvin88

Established Member
McLeod clutch, JPC or JHR cluth line, MGW shifter, whiteline trans bushing, and a good set of engine mounts to keep everything from wrigling around and the mt82 becomes great.

Its no t56 or 6060. As said before you have to learn to drive this trans it has its own personality. It reminds me of the old t5 a little.

Nickyoobatz

Established Member
Need some help.

I have a 2011 GT that I bought used in December with 45k miles currently. Car always had a faint transmission whine noise but I didn't think anything of it so I kept driving with it. I recently changed the shifter (Hurst + Barton 2 post bracket), and the whine is a bit more amplified. I did some research and now I'm concerned about the trans going bad.

Everything shifts perfectly fine, should I just go back to stock shifter and take it to the dealer? The car still has factory powertrain warranty thankfully.

busarich

Established Member
within the first 1000 mi I did Barton shifter/bracket, steal braided line, solid motor mounts and also il MTF. no problems with it and have been over 600 whp all last year.

Jebadias

Established Member

I don't think that makes much sense... On the other hand I do downshift, much of the time, and have for 20 years. For me this is one of the best manual transmissions I have ever had so maybe...

But no, I hate hearing how much trouble some people have with this unit because when it works right it works so good.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I struggled with this transmission when I first got it. Motor mounts and a MGW helped for sure. I do love it now though. I'm still on the stock clutch and clutch line. I have an RST and braided line waiting to go in, just trying to find the time.

It does suck that so many are having issues

Users who are viewing this thread