MT82 Ideas

mustangcobra93

Established Member
I had the fluid change TSB done on my 2011 GT by the Ford dealership close to where I work. They are a small dealer and don't sell many Mustangs. I think mine is their first experience with MT82 problems. My problem is grinding on the 1 to 2 shift and the 2 to 3 shift when cold. The fluid change helped some but it still grinds until the transmission warms up. Once warm it is just notchy in every gear. What else can I suggest they try to fix this problem? I only have 10,000 left on my warranty to I'd like to get it fixed the best I can before it runs out. Thanks for your help!

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I had the fluid change TSB done to my GT by the Ford dealership close to where I work. They are a small dealer and don't sell many Mustangs. I think mine is their first experience with MT82 problems. My problem is grinding on the 1 to 2 shift and the 2 to 3 shift when cold. The fluid change helped some but it still grinds until the transmission warms up. Once warm it is just notchy in every gear. What else can I trannyt they try to fix this problem? I only have 10,000 left on my warranty to I'd like to get it fixed the best I can before it runs out. Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the wonderful mt-82. You may as well chuck it up, i dont care how many TSB try perform it will still be notchy when cold, that's just the characteristics of the trans. Best thing to do if you want it to last is learn how to ddrive around it until it warms up. forcing it in gear is not going to make it better. I know how you feel, 30k plus car with defective tranny from the factory. Yes its bullshit but it is what it is. I had a complete tranny swap and still have it. Good luck.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
^^^ this. Mine doesn't like 3rd and 5th when it's cold so I avoid those gears until the car's warmed up. Based on your situation, I'd start out in 2nd and shift straight to 4th. I've tried all the band aids and have just learned to adapt my shifts when it's cold. Rape is like the weather. Just sit back and enjoy it.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
trade it for an auto....
they put the new oil in my 12' and I drove it for about 2 weeks. then I traded it for my auto 13'. and didn't look back

12mustang5.0

Established Member
My does the same every time its cold sounds horrible
Once it gets temperature it goes away
Mine is 1-2-3and some times 4th when is cold as hell outside
I told the dealer about it guy said is not the oil and couldn't find any problem with the car
And I'm tired of that
Looking to trade in for an 14 auto or a manual vette
Or maybe wait for the 15 mustang

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
My does the same every time its cold sounds horrible
Once it gets temperature it goes away
Mine is 1-2-3and some times 4th when is cold as hell outside
I told the dealer about it guy said is not the oil and couldn't find any problem with the car
And I'm tired of that
Looking to trade in for an 14 auto or a manual vette
Or maybe wait for the 15 mustang

Just a heads up. Ford made the AWESOME decision to keep the MT82 in the 2015 production. Completely blows my mind that they kept it.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
The redid the shifter linkage for the 2015 model and it should be a lot better but if I buy a 15 it will be an automatic!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
If you buy a 15' you better sit that tremec off to the side so I can buy it from you, lol

I'm not turning in my 12 if i get a 15 I will be adding it to the stable. A stable's strength is measured by the # of horses! Catch my drift?... Lol

Voltwings

Established Member
I'm not turning in my 12 if i get a 15 I will be adding it to the stable. A stable's strength is measured by the # of horses! Catch my drift?... Lol

my uncle is a firm believer a mans success in life is judged by the number of cylinders he owns lol. Manly gas powered lawn equipment included.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Like others are saying, oil change helps, won't cure it, and being very easy with the gear changes until it warms up, or it isn't going to like it. You really have to be gentle with it and take your time. I skip shift too in cold weather. It helps.

Note: I'm on my second transmission as well. Both have gear whine, and cold start issues. I should have just kept the original one and had no down time. Getting. A good shifter and bracket will help significantly with the elimination of high rpm mis-shifts. On a good note, I inspected my clutch at 34,000 miles and it looks great. What's very surprising to me is the transmission outlasted the stock engine at 600+ Rwhp and 550rwtq. Just was too much "cylinder pressure" for stock engine internals with a Boosted up, instant hit, Roush TVS.

It sucks, but if you want to drive an MT-82. Besides the minor tweaks, you have to adapt to its unfavorable characteristics. When warm, other than noticeable gear whine, it shifts awesome with the Barton shifter and bracket and is a lot of fun to drive. I'm supercharged anyway so people just think it's supercharger whine. Lol I actually like it! Plus if you break your transmission, you can easily pick up a used one for super cheap if you are able to do the install yourself.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Welcome to the wonderful mt-82. You may as well chuck it up, i dont care how many TSB try perform it will still be notchy when cold, that's just the characteristics of the trans. Best thing to do if you want it to last is learn how to ddrive around it until it warms up. forcing it in gear is not going to make it better. I know how you feel, 30k plus car with defective tranny from the factory. Yes its bullshit but it is what it is. I had a complete tranny swap and still have it. Good luck.

Simple solution.. Amsoil MTF. Took my car out when it was 10*, trans felt buttery smooth.

Laztug

Established Member
If you change your oil you will void your warranty.
I say you let them fix it.

My M6 on the other hand is flawless. JHR clutch line, amsoil, and some MGW.

wr450

Established Member
That amsoil is kinda thin at 5w-30 anybody know what weight the factory dual clutch fluid is. Think i read somewhere it's 75 something

dead man walkin

Established Member
I have a theory. . Mt82 owners that have had failures. Do you downshift? And not once or twice, but every stop, every time or at least 75% of the time or greater?? I'm at 30,000 miles on my Mt82 with stock ford fluid. I have no issues, yes its been raced, straight tracks and curved, I believe this transmission loves downshifting, like how you have to drive a corvette in figure 8's to stop rear end noise.. I think our transmissions need downshifts.

5lho

Established Member
Transmission oil weights aren't comparable to engine oil weights. 75W90 is roughly the same vis as 10W40 motor oil. They don't use the same viscosity index.

DCT is ~75W80, so closer to a 20-30W motor oil. I found it much better than the QS fluid in there originally and it's been down track some 100 times on slicks without problems.

Oh and, it's bullshit changing fluid will void your warranty. The dealer mech will just stick a finger in there and verify there is fluid in the trans and move on. He isn't going to to do some sort of CSI UOA on what's in there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread