MT Best Drivers Car 2012. ZL1 vs GT500

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
This is also about selling magazines by praising things readers can afford. A lot of guys can afford a 911 or a BRZ. Very few people can afford an Aventador or an MP4-12C. If any of those cars was free and could only be driven on a winding mountain road for an eternity, pretty sure nobody from MT would be driving off in a BRZ over an Aventador.

ZL1 sounds like shit on the track.

tbi0904

Established Member
Well they clearly stated its not about numbers. Its about the feel of the car which is subjective. The part i found funny was how more MT editors and Pobst preferred the GT500 over the ZL1 yet it was place behind it. It is what it is and didnt expect things to change from a few months ago... if they did than they would be making themselves look even more idiotic renigging on the choice they previously made.

Best Driver's Car & GT500 vs ZL1 were done at the same time.

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
No offense to those testers and MT, but you guys are really stupid and must really suck at driving. On your first page, you tout how you did not bring the ZR1 back because it finished in sixth place the other year and was just so hard to drive, blah blah blah.

Then you tout the ZL1 because it has a great suspension system and handles corners great and my private parts are so comfortable coming (did I say that?) around the corner. You tout how it has the greatest technology, blah blah blah.

In the article you also mention how the Ferrari 458 has the same suspension and how it does wonders for the car.

Guess what, the ZR1 has the same damn suspension and technology! Yes it does. It even handles better with larger tires and outruns the ZL1. But it can't drive well??????

So your ranking of cars based on this subjective crap, which you are not even consistent with, is just stupid. Not taking away anything from the ZL1 or the other cars.

But if this technology is so great, why can't you guys consistently use it??????????

And if you guys can't consistently use it, how can you rely upon it to make conclusions??????

Just saying and complaining.

Scott

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
I really think part of the issue with some of these subjective driving tests boils down to the fact that cars with 650ish plus horsepower are just plain monsters to drive at times. They want to feel in "control." Well guess what happens when you floor a 650ish HP car, all hell breaks loose and you have to fight to keep control. So they loose that desired feeling and state how they loved to drive it (because loosing control during acceleration in these cars is quite awesome), but rank it low because that is not the targeted "feeling."

Scott

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
I think this MT comparo is also hamstrung according to what cars MT can line up for the test. It's not like they have unlimited ability to get any car they want. Why bother even including the Jag in the test? The article is hardly a test and really just for entertainment purposes. It's all subjective. Especially given that testing and reporting with just the one guy, Pobst, would seem to be most "scientific", but that testing iswashed out with the final results being journalist voting.

Last edited:

O'Neill

Established Member
Shouldnt the best drivers car also include, pulling passenger seat forward, putting baby in car seat, putting groceries in backseat/trunk, heavy city (traffic) use, etc? Or is a "drivers" car only exclusive to track, drag, and back road use?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
No offense to those testers and MT, but you guys are really stupid and must really suck at driving. On your first page, you tout how you did not bring the ZR1 back because it finished in sixth place the other year and was just so hard to drive, blah blah blah.

Then you tout the ZL1 because it has a great suspension system and handles corners great and my private parts are so comfortable coming (did I say that?) around the corner. You tout how it has the greatest technology, blah blah blah.

In the article you also mention how the Ferrari 458 has the same suspension and how it does wonders for the car.

Guess what, the ZR1 has the same damn suspension and technology! Yes it does. It even handles better with larger tires and outruns the ZL1. But it can't drive well??????

So your ranking of cars based on this subjective crap, which you are not even consistent with, is just stupid. Not taking away anything from the ZL1 or the other cars.

But if this technology is so great, why can't you guys consistently use it??????????

And if you guys can't consistently use it, how can you rely upon it to make conclusions??????

Just saying and complaining.

Scott

agreed.....:beer:

I also am of the school of thought that a "drivers car" is one where the man is in complete control of the car, good or bad, without nannies to help or an automated gearbox to do the work for you. Why is C63 amg black, with auto gearbox better? Pobst even said about the zl1 " these driver aids annoy me" yet its better than the GT500 which he clearly favored, even if it is hard to drive? well yea its 662 live rear axle muscle car, what do you expect? I mean if you really wanna do a drivers car comparison, they should all be cars that are under 100K, come with proper stick shifts and limited nannies...this way you get the full experience of handling a vehicle. Hell a Camaro 1LE and Boss 302 would be better in this comparo!

The other thing I laughed at was the line that the GT500 was all over the place in the 1/4 mile.....seriously??? LOL what a joke

Like I said before I take these with a grain of salt, its their opinion, albeit a stupid one, but whatever....I know what I prefer to drive and what I look for in a car and thats all that matters, im sure even zl1 guys would agree with that :beer:

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I would have loved to see a 1/2 mile drag, but 4th place against a GTR, Lambo and Mclaren is pretty good for the GT500

HumanWiki

Established Member
touche....:beer:

:-D

Man.. car being in the shop is killing me... This thing spends increasingly less and less time in my possession and more and more time on a rack (and not the good organic kind).. I'm just about to send in my shop time paper work for exotic car status.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
That was a nice Drag Race. The more important thing here is that the Shelby lives up to what it can actually do. Mid 11's at 120++++ MPH. The ZL1, hmmm still no 11's stock and [email protected]lly what its been doing all the while.

So I guess that 11's all day long day has still not arrived. I guess its still the wrong day....Like the way the porsche down on power N/A takes the ZR1.....I wonder the spin will be now ?

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
So- in my driveway just 2 weeks ago were 2 of the cars on that list (GT500, BRZ, ok FRS, but same thing)

Looks like I'll have a third car from that list soon as well (no I'm not buying a ZL1)

aefeb176-32fc-02ce.jpg

Also- check out the 5 page "ad" in the middle of motor trend that GM bought... Bunch of idiots

Nice couple of choices. (I just saw the Scion version at my buddy's PDR shop yesterday and prefer the way it looks over the Subie)

But, I'm taking the bait- what's the new addition??? (You can't go wrong with the new 991S)

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Nice couple of choices. (I just saw the Scion version at my buddy's PDR shop yesterday and prefer the way it looks over the Subie)

But, I'm taking the bait- what's the new addition??? (You can't go wrong with the new 991S)

It will be a 911- but not a 991.

Users who are viewing this thread