MT Best Drivers Car 2012. ZL1 vs GT500

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Can someone please post this under the pics and vids section? More traffic and some butthurt will ensue :)

Sent with my Massive Johnson

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
These times have been out for awhile now though.

I'm looking forward to watching them all tonight. Only watched one yesterday.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
The zl1 looks better?
felt better?
they used a beat up car?
why did they not let a GM driver drive?
did they use the proper PTM mode?
the GT500 has 80 more HP?
they should run the cars for several laps instead of just one?
the GT500 costs way more and needs the added packages to keep up?
they should test a base GT500 because thats more apples to apples?
why didnt they use a shorter course with cones?
because walmart?

I could go on but whatever.....:lol1:

I will say this: the zl1 is a nice car, the best thing it has going for it is this: its the most aggressive and best looking 5th gen you can get and the suspension is amazing, I mean that seriously. Other than that, would not own one....

The GT500 uses an archaic suspension setup and is very raw, yet it manages to keep up and often BEAT the zl1 where it is supposed to dominate...and this is what we were waiting for, same driver, same day, same conditions....no excuses

great time to be a pony car fan...im glad I have mine! :beer:

"but my car has more technology"
"but my seats are heated"
"but my car costs less!"
"there was something wrong with that zl1"
"but the zl1 looks better"
"it was fixed"

Did I cover them all? Lol

"GM simulations say different."

:banana:

Marc

Established Member
This was just posted in their thread talking about this:

"These results for the GT500 and ZL1 were previously released by Motor Trend in June (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...0/viewall.html). The GT500 had the faster first lap, but, due to brake fade in the GT500, the ZL1 had the faster last lap, and the ZL1's lap times were very consistent with all of them being within 0.2 seconds. The Motor Trend comparison concluded that the ZL1 was the better vehicle."

Kewlv8

Established Member
This was just posted in their thread talking about this:

"These results for the GT500 and ZL1 were previously released by Motor Trend in June (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...0/viewall.html). The GT500 had the faster first lap, but, due to brake fade in the GT500, the ZL1 had the faster last lap, and the ZL1's lap times were very consistent with all of them being within 0.2 seconds. The Motor Trend comparison concluded that the ZL1 was the better vehicle."

Ha ha. Goldenbear needs to embrace his butthurt. He really can't deal with the reality that he has the much slower but marginally more comfortable car. LMAO

HumanWiki

Established Member
Ha ha. Goldenbear needs to embrace his butthurt. He really can't deal with the reality that he has the much slower but marginally more comfortable car. LMAO

Careful. He'll subject you to a lengthy and rigorous logic and reasoning test that's biased in his favor just to show you how wrong you are and just how much of a badass he is.
:-D

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Does Goldenflair even own a zl1??? I get tired of the guys who dont even own the cars are the most fanboish about it....and like I predicted they would say that" more laps" even though the idea was a "hot lap" :nonono:

specizripn

Established Member
"But I have a delicate vagina so the GT500 is too bumpy!"
"But the GT500 has more powere?!?!" Whos fault is that? Thats no excuse! The ZL1 has 6.2L displacement, and the GT500 is only 5.8L and still makes more power stock, and mod for mod... Sorry GM, you made a good car, but the '13 GT500 is a GREAT car. Also, GM is going bankrupt again :/ Its a bummer because I think GM is a great company, and they create a lot of american jobs, but even after the bailout they are going down again :shrug: Please don't take another bailout, be like FORD and not like GOVERNMENT MOTORS :bash:

yenko boy

Established Member
If the ZL1 can't take a C63 Black at Laguna Seca then it certainly won't destroy it at Nurburgring.

2010 AMG C63 laps Nurburgring at 8:13 with driver Horst Von Saurma (King of the Ring)

A year later the ZL1 laps the Ring in 7:41 with Aaron Link driving?

I am sorry but I can't see taking a car by over 33 seconds at one track then losing all of that advantage an LOSING at another.

Different driver? Horst wins all day over Link
Different day? Horst Von Saurma doesn't care about days or weather, he has almost EVERY stock record at the Ring.

Nice to see the measures taken by Chevrolet to decieve the public.

Checkmate....

I think your getting the black series and regular c63 amg confused. Black series has alot of upgrades over the regular c63 amg.

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
GT500 has perfect performance for its price point imo.
exemplary job ford!!!!:banana:

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Great results. Both have proven to be exceptional cars, and I would truly enjoy swapping keys with a ZL1 owner for an opportunity to compare vehicles. Each are a tremendous value and offer their respective camps something to be proud of. However, at the end of the day, the GT500 is simply the faster vehicle. Period.

The GT500 has won ALL quarter mile/acceleration tests and has a few road course victories.

The ZL1 has lost ALL quarter mile/acceleration tests and has a few road course victories.

These findings simply prove that, stock for stock, it's clearly a driver's race at the track. But in daily driving situations, and at the drags, the GT500 will show the ZL1 its tail-lights. Every time.

So, I'm confused, what is there still left to talk about on C5? Why can't respect just be given where it is due? I will gladly park next to a ZL1 at the next car show and talk shop for a few hours! But boy will I look forward to both of us pulling out together at the end of the night even more!! :bash:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Great results. Both have proven to be exceptional cars, and I would truly enjoy swapping keys with a ZL1 owner for an opportunity to compare vehicles. Each are a tremendous value and offer their respective camps something to be proud of. However, at the end of the day, the GT500 is simply the faster vehicle. Period.

The GT500 has won ALL quarter mile/acceleration tests and has a few road course victories.

The ZL1 has lost ALL quarter mile/acceleration tests and has a few road course victories.

These findings simply prove that, stock for stock, it's clearly a driver's race at the track. But in daily driving situations, and at the drags, the GT500 will show the ZL1 its tail-lights. Every time.

So, I'm confused, what is there still left to talk about on C5? Why can't respect just be given where it is due? I will gladly park next to a ZL1 at the next car show and talk shop for a few hours! But boy will I look forward to both of us pulling out together at the end of the night even more!! :bash:

good post and I agree....

thus far I have personally spoken to one, ONE zl1 owner in person and hes cool as hell and I know him from previous business on my old car. Every other zl1 owner I have tried to approach was a dbag....no idea why

However this saturday Im going to a local small GM vs Ford car show and im hoping there is a zl1 owner there who is willing to talk cars just for fun :shrug:

Jroc

Established Member
Just to show you how bias, and full of shit these magazines tend to be watch this video. The Mustang GT with the Brembo package beat the M3 in every performance test except it was less than a tenth of a second slower around Willow Springs. Still even though the driver Randy Pobst said it was a huge win for the Mustang at $25K less than the M3 MT says they see it different as a win is a win regardless of margin and cost.

See video(it's a fun test to watch):
Super Coupes Track Attack! - 2011 Ford Mustang GT vs 2011 BMW M3 Coupe - YouTube

Funny how the same didn't apply for the GT500 vs the ZL1. I think these magazine just like to give the victories to the more sophisticated and modern cars, but if I was a betting man I would put money on the GT500 being the car that the editors are really going to be fighting over the keys for.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Just to show you how bias, and full of shit these magazines tend to be watch this video. The Mustang GT with the Brembo package beat the M3 in every performance test except it was less than a tenth of a second slower around Willow Springs. Still even though the driver Randy Pobst said it was a huge win for the Mustang at $25K less than the M3 MT says they see it different as a win is a win regardless of margin and cost.

See video(it's a fun test to watch):
Super Coupes Track Attack! - 2011 Ford Mustang GT vs 2011 BMW M3 Coupe - YouTube
so the mustang GT lost at the track in a track test, where's the bias? and don't bring cost into this unless you want to start talking about materials and quality. i don't see anything wrong with the results of that comparison, it was a track test, not a "pointless objective metric" test.
(honestly, no one cares about the figure out or lateral Gs)

as far as the GT500 vs ZL1, that was a car comparison, not just a track test. like i've said before, i don't doubt for a second that there's some ****ery going on with these comparisons, but the logic behind them is sound(that the better car is the one that does the best in ALL arenas, not just on a track).

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
so the mustang GT lost at the track in a track test, where's the bias? and don't bring cost into this unless you want to start talking about materials and quality. i don't see anything wrong with the results of that comparison, it was a track test, not a "pointless objective metric" test.
(honestly, no one cares about the figure out or lateral Gs)

as far as the GT500 vs ZL1, that was a car comparison, not just a track test. like i've said before, i don't doubt for a second that there's some ****ery going on with these comparisons, but the logic behind them is sound(that the better car is the one that does the best in ALL arenas, not just on a track).

Oh don't even front with that. That wasn't a pure "which is faster around a road course test". If it was they wouldn't have bothered running ET's, braking, and figure 8 tests. Sure they say at the end that the M3 is just a little better than the GT at the track, but it's no secret that the magazines have long been huge fanboys of the BMW 3-series car. They're nice cars, but IMO very rarely do the magazines want to do anything to place them second. Their interiors don't impress me much more than a GT's,(hell IMO a Platinum F150 has better leathers and materials), and I sure don't trust the build quality of a car I have to pay to get my oil changed to keep its warranty over a new Ford Mustang. I mean how come no one did a Boss 302 vs M3 lap time test as it was the car the Boss targeted when it was developed. IMHO I think they don't want to see it getting beat up on. Besides the biggest part of most of the GT500/ZL1 tests where the road course. Hell the GT500 should eat it alive on the street in both acceleration, and possibly livability/practicality, and the strip it isn't even a fair comparison. Sure a ZL1's nice MR IRS suspension is probably a little more compliant, and forgiving on bumps and imperfections, but a S197 is anything but hard to drive, harsh, uncomfortable, or unforgiving, and cruising down the highway a GT500 is turning over 600 less RPM's in it's final overdrive, so an uncomfortable car do to high engine speeds while cruising a GT500 is not, and it's getting noticeably better MPG's so where does the practicality of the ZL1 fit in? If someone would rather have a ZL1 that's there business, but magazines often seem to make double standards for certain cars.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I guess Ill add this, I feel like we already know who the overall drivers car choice will be but im curious to see that drag race portion on friday....

[youtube_browser]xnL1VV8S2-g[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread