MT Best Drivers Car 2012. ZL1 vs GT500

gkviper192

Established Member
I guess Ill add this, I feel like we already know who the overall drivers car choice will be but im curious to see that drag race portion on friday....

[youtube_browser]xnL1VV8S2-g[/youtube_browser]

I'm saying it will be gtr, aventador, mclaren top three. 4th place will be the gt500 if I had to guess for the drag race.

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I think your getting the black series and regular c63 amg confused. Black series has alot of upgrades over the regular c63 amg.

Not sure if 29 more HP, 110 extra pounds, some rubber and a body kit is going to net you a 33+ second advantage. AMG has completely adopted the Gullwing BS package. The "Black" series gives you the Gull's forged internals.... and would be NO WHERE near the trophy SLS AMG Ring record of 7:40 driven by Saurma. Which is where this C-class sedan would fall based on its showing... About a 7:40... In a 4300lb, 510hp sedan, while the Benz of Benz's at 565hp and 3500lbs runs a 7:40 as well?

Seems like Nurburgring is truly a magical place...

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
here's my best guess, which i'm definitely not confident in...

Porsche
GT-R
Subaru
Aventador
McLaren
ZL1....]
GT500] - toss up between these 3
C63....]
XK-R

Oh don't even front with that. That wasn't a pure "which is faster around a road course test". If it was they wouldn't have bothered running ET's, braking, and figure 8 tests. Sure they say at the end that the M3 is just a little better than the GT at the track, but it's no secret that the magazines have long been huge fanboys of the BMW 3-series car. They're nice cars, but IMO very rarely do the magazines want to do anything to place them second. Their interiors don't impress me much more than a GT's,(hell IMO a Platinum F150 has better leathers and materials), and I sure don't trust the build quality of a car I have to pay to get my oil changed to keep its warranty over a new Ford Mustang. I mean how come no one did a Boss 302 vs M3 lap time test as it was the car the Boss targeted when it was developed. IMHO I think they don't want to see it getting beat up on. Besides the biggest part of most of the GT500/ZL1 tests where the road course. Hell the GT500 should eat it alive on the street in both acceleration, and possibly livability/practicality, and the strip it isn't even a fair comparison. Sure a ZL1's nice MR IRS suspension is probably a little more compliant, and forgiving on bumps and imperfections, but a S197 is anything but hard to drive, harsh, uncomfortable, or unforgiving, and cruising down the highway a GT500 is turning over 600 less RPM's in it's final overdrive, so an uncomfortable car do to high engine speeds while cruising a GT500 is not, and it's getting noticeably better MPG's so where does the practicality of the ZL1 fit in? If someone would rather have a ZL1 that's there business, but magazines often seem to make double standards for certain cars.
they did the BS tests because they always do them. c'mon, they put ****ing minivans and hybrids around the figure eight and down the 1/4!:lol1: lots not pretend like it actually means anything.
you said...
"Sure they say at the end that the M3 is just a little better than the GT at the track, but it's no secret that the magazines have long been huge fanboys of the BMW 3-series car"
...doesn't the fact that the M3 is just a little better than the GT at the track make any potential(and very likely) 3-series bias irrelevant? it was a track test, and the faster/better car won.
downplay the M3's interior all you want, but it's still better than the mustang GT's. build quality is also better - until you reach the end of the warranty:lol1: but this wasn't exactly a long term test.
no one did a boss vs M3 comparison because it's pointless. during ford's boss 302 press event, they sent a pro out in an M3, in the boss 302, and in the boss 302LS around laguna seca and most of the magazines published those numbers. on top of that, with the M3 vs GT comparisons showing the two being nearly identical, what's the point in wasting the time with a comparison that everyone knows the results of? if they didn't want to see it get 'beat up on' then they wouldn't have ran a M3 vs GT comparison. the M3 doesn't come out of that comparison looking good at all, even if they did rank it 1st because of 9-hundredths of a second.
the GT500-ZL1 is a different topic that's been discussed ad nauseum.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If the ZL1 can't take a C63 Black at Laguna Seca then it certainly won't destroy it at Nurburgring.

2010 AMG C63 laps Nurburgring at 8:13 with driver Horst Von Saurma (King of the Ring)

A year later the ZL1 laps the Ring in 7:41 with Aaron Link driving?

I am sorry but I can't see taking a car by over 33 seconds at one track then losing all of that advantage an LOSING at another.

Different driver? Horst wins all day over Link
Different day? Horst Von Saurma doesn't care about days or weather, he has almost EVERY stock record at the Ring.

Nice to see the measures taken by Chevrolet to decieve the public.

Checkmate....

Not to mention Johnny O'Connell drove the CTS-V wagon around the 'ring for Motor Trend and ran an 8:13, I believe. And before anyone says "It's a wagon! Blah blah!", Top Gear USA's "Stig" put the wagon around their track faster than the coupe on the same day. So it's not unreasonable to assume the coupe, sedan, and wagon are all on par with one another in track prowess.

The ZL1's hero 'ring run was arguably done in a non-production car.

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
why are they bringing other driver opinions in the final review???? it should all be pobst.

"I'm impressed with how well-planted this Shelby is: never put a wheel wrong. I'd way sooner own this than the ZL1."

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Once again Motor Trend proves how worthless they are...thats just my opinion....seriously the subaru over the GT500, zl1, Lambo, Mcclaren??? yeah ok....As usual instead using the driving impressions of the actual driver, they use that of the editors....whatever :lol1:.
Admittedly I expected the 911 to win but I mean come on...I wont even read it because I could careless what their opinions are and why they choose one over the other. I have my own criteria and I stick to it, Im sure the porsche is a blast to drive, but I would not be caught dead in it ( outdated and ugly) nor would I ever consider the Subaru...the only cars on that list I would drive are the GTR, Mclaren and Lambo(these two for fun not to own) and hell rather have the zl1 too.

But my ultimate choice is sitting right outside, and thats what matters folks! GT500 FTW! :beer:

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
So- in my driveway just 2 weeks ago were 2 of the cars on that list (GT500, BRZ, ok FRS, but same thing)

Looks like I'll have a third car from that list soon as well (no I'm not buying a ZL1)

aefeb176-32fc-02ce.jpg

Also- check out the 5 page "ad" in the middle of motor trend that GM bought... Bunch of idiots

gtconv91

Ya can't fix stupid
Established Member
Well they clearly stated its not about numbers. Its about the feel of the car which is subjective. The part i found funny was how more MT editors and Pobst preferred the GT500 over the ZL1 yet it was place behind it. It is what it is and didnt expect things to change from a few months ago... if they did than they would be making themselves look even more idiotic renigging on the choice they previously made.

Users who are viewing this thread