PSR Major!
Established Member
The zl1 looks better?
felt better?
they used a beat up car?
why did they not let a GM driver drive?
did they use the proper PTM mode?
the GT500 has 80 more HP?
they should run the cars for several laps instead of just one?
the GT500 costs way more and needs the added packages to keep up?
they should test a base GT500 because thats more apples to apples?
why didnt they use a shorter course with cones?
because walmart?

I could go on but whatever.....:lol1:

I will say this: the zl1 is a nice car, the best thing it has going for it is this: its the most aggressive and best looking 5th gen you can get and the suspension is amazing, I mean that seriously. Other than that, would not own one....

The GT500 uses an archaic suspension setup and is very raw, yet it manages to keep up and often BEAT the zl1 where it is supposed to dominate...and this is what we were waiting for, same driver, same day, same conditions....no excuses

great time to be a pony car fan...im glad I have mine! :beer:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
What will C5 say now?

"but my car has more technology"
"but my seats are heated"
"but my car costs less!"
"there was something wrong with that zl1"
"but the zl1 looks better"
"it was fixed"

Did I cover them all? Lol

tbi0904

Established Member
4th fastest time of the 9 cars tested. Not too bad.

One more excuse: not fair to compare different model years. Wait 'till the 13 ZL1 comes out!!!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
4th fastest time of the 9 cars tested. Not too bad.

One more excuse: not fair to compare different model years. Wait 'till the 13 ZL1 comes out!!!

forgot about that one!!!!

where is the fast list? I just watched:

267K Mclaren MP4-12C 1:34.5....:eek:

400K+ Lambo aventador.....1:35.4 hmmm

107K 2013 GTR BE, it did a 1:36.3....very impressive

63K GT500....1:38.7 pretty awesome considering the contenders :rockon:

108K C63 Black....1:38.9 ( looks like a damn GT2 car)

57K ZL1....1:39.2.....pretty damn good on this list of cars

124K porsche( handling monster, with outdated looks IMO)...1:39.3 beat by the zl1....wow

133K XKR-S 1:42.9....very hard to drive apparently, shocking

28K subaru ( about what it costs for a brake job on the Lambo :lol1:) 1:51.3; they could have found something faster for this slot, maybe the LFA?

decided to just post the times here. For arguments sake I guess....considering the competition (besides the subaru ) the GT500 and zl1 did pretty damn well. Pobst prefers V8's that make you work just a lil, his comments eluded to him not exactly feeling connected to the mclaren and GTR. He loved the GT500, Lambo, Merc and zl1...even the BRZ

all in all pretty good stuff, I rather just watch him drive and give commentary than to later read to stupid editors and why they decide to choose one over the other....what have we learned here>? sometimes driving a super expensive car does not always mean its better :shrug:

Last edited:

GarageLogic

Established Member
Bet is was all those cameras attached to the ZL1 that caused a disruption of the optimized airflow the car was designed with that slowed it down. Or maybe Probst forgot to turn on the seat warmers?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I updated my post with the list of times and price for each car....also just go to Motortrend channel to see videos

tbi0904

Established Member
forgot about that one!!!!

where is the fast list? I just watched:

267K Mclaren MP4-12C 1:34.5....:eek:

400K+ Lambo aventador.....1:35.4 hmmm

107K 2013 GTR BE, it did a 1:36.3....very impressive

63K GT500....1:38.7 pretty awesome considering the contenders :rockon:

108K C63 Black....1:38.9 ( looks like a damn GT2 car)

57K ZL1....1:39.2.....pretty damn good on this list of cars

124K porsche( handling monster, with outdated looks IMO)...1:39.3 beat by the zl1....wow

133K XKR-S 1:42.9....very hard to drive apparently, shocking

28K subaru ( about what it costs for a brake job on the Lambo :lol1:) 1:51.3; they could have found something faster for this slot, maybe the LFA?

decided to just post the times here. For arguments sake I guess....considering the competition (besides the subaru ) the GT500 and zl1 did pretty damn well. Pobst prefers V8's that make you work just a lil, his comments eluded to him not exactly feeling connected to the mclaren and GTR. He loved the GT500, Lambo, Merc and zl1...even the BRZ

all in all pretty good stuff, I rather just watch him drive and give commentary than to later read to stupid editors and why they decide to choose one over the other....what have we learned here>? sometimes driving a super expensive car does not always mean its better :shrug:

Was just about to post the times. I predict the BRZ will get the "best drivers car" nod.

peteypab2133

Established Member
Thanks for the update. I went back and watched them all. The Porsche looked the smoothest out of the corners with power delivery, though I am surprised it was outed by the stang and maro.. The lambo looked sorta dull. The brz reminded me of watching a prius in NYC traffic. The ZL1 + GT500 sounded sick. The jag looked out of its element.

I bet the porsche 911 turbo or the GT2 will be a monster. I am glad I watched them all, learned a lot.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
The FT86 platform is a fun (not fast) car to drive for sure. My other half has a '13 FRS

JDsfastGN

Established Member
Gt500 30k views. ZL1 300 views. Enough said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well the zl1 vid has only been up since this's morning while the gt500 was posted yesterday morning.

Btw this is the same regurgitated test that was run a couple months ago, same times as before for both the z and gt500 so really nothing new. In the original article they had a chart showing exits speeds and G's in the corners. The Z was 2 cars ahead coming out of the last turn but was passed before the line. Obviously power matters a lot more than the camaro5 guys like to think.

O'Neill

Established Member
But.. but... but... the ZL1 is 200+lbs heavier, and is outgunned by 80hp.

Put a bigger blower on the ZL1 and remove 200lbs and we'll see who wins.

But the ZL1 can go faster for longer. Its more consistent

Just some of the excuses ive been hearing and reading....

I remember a few months ago, everyone was saying that the ZL1 would wipe the floor with the GT500 at any track, and that there was no way the Shelby would win any test. I still have screenshots that I saved of some of those comments. :D

I guess raw power and a lighter vehicle still has the upper hand in most cases on a heavy glutton with IRS, PTM, MRC, and 305's.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Was just about to post the times. I predict the BRZ will get the "best drivers car" nod.
no way, 911 takes it! i'll bet you 5 e-bucks!!!:D

Thanks for the update. I went back and watched them all. The Porsche looked the smoothest out of the corners with power delivery, though I am surprised it was outed by the stang and maro.. The lambo looked sorta dull. The brz reminded me of watching a prius in NYC traffic. The ZL1 + GT500 sounded sick. The jag looked out of its element.

I bet the porsche 911 turbo or the GT2 will be a monster. I am glad I watched them all, learned a lot.
the 911 carrera S has "only" 395HP. the upcoming performance variants will be destroying the competition, the 991 is looking like a solid upgrade over the already stellar 997!

and funny you mention 'prius' and 'BRZ' in the same sentence - the BRZ uses 'low rolling resistance'(I.E., rock hard) prius tires

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
If the ZL1 can't take a C63 Black at Laguna Seca then it certainly won't destroy it at Nurburgring.

2010 AMG C63 laps Nurburgring at 8:13 with driver Horst Von Saurma (King of the Ring)

A year later the ZL1 laps the Ring in 7:41 with Aaron Link driving?

I am sorry but I can't see taking a car by over 33 seconds at one track then losing all of that advantage an LOSING at another.

Different driver? Horst wins all day over Link
Different day? Horst Von Saurma doesn't care about days or weather, he has almost EVERY stock record at the Ring.

Nice to see the measures taken by Chevrolet to decieve the public.

Checkmate....

Users who are viewing this thread