MSRP is upon us.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
As some of you may know I stated that we'd have MSRP by February. Well, I wasn't completely right. But here we are.

I've been talking with other dealers, and viewing sales that have been taking place.

The ADM's are creeping closer to the $5k dollar mark.

Dealer's asking $10k-15k+ are sitting on these cars unless someone that just has too much money anyways is buying them.

I know of 4 cars that have been sold this 1st week in February for MSRP. Why you ask? Just like I said before, these are the SLOWEST months for car sales. There will be a boom in April, and then its steady until the holiday season again.

So, because of slow sales, the dealers have less/slow cashflow. With less/slow cashflow, or as we call it "cash on hand" it makes it more difficult to pay off trades etc etc. When you can't pay off trades, you become out-of-trust, this freezes your floorplan etc.
These dealers are willing to get these cars off of thier floorplan (less interest to pay) and sell them at sticker, still making a pretty nice profit if you ask me.

This will free up more space to floorplan more vehicles and more cash in the bank to pay off other vehicles.

So its cold, its winter, and sales are slow. Start hitting the dealerships, MSRP is upon us.

If you don't know what floorplan is, it is basically a line of credit that the dealer has to purchase vehicles. Its usually with the Manufacturer (GMAC, FMCC) They have to pay interest monthly. They have 24hours to pay off a vehicle after it is sold or it is considered an "out-of-trust dealer."

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Thanks Chris.
I was looking at ebay the otherday. In a 7 day period, 31 cars completed auction and only 2 of those sold. Interestingly, one of the ones that sold, went for 20-something over sticker. People must not know how to check completed auctions and realize that 20+ is not necessary.

I think the market is going to crash soon. Just keep letting them build up on showroom floors.

chuckstang

Established Member
What about those that are hoping to order an 08 for sticker or pick up an 08 by the end of summer? Will that be possible...
I dont care for the 07 anymore since there will be more options for the 08.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I would assume since there will still be 07's sitting on the lots (because some people got greedy) in 08, that 08s will be had for sticker or less. Just like the 07s that will still be sitting around in 08.

Think of it this way, mathematically.

Invoice is around $39k on a Bare bones shelby. Floorplan rates are around 5%. My figures are off as its compounded interest, and the value gets curtailed, but take 5% of $39k.

$1950. To hold onto that car for the year. My math isnt perfect and not everyone pays that much interest, and its on the entire amount of inventory, not just one car.

But if I had to pay $1950 just to hold a car to sell it, i'd take whatever over what it costs me.

So yes sticker by summer on ALL 07's because by July/August. 08's will be sitting right next to them at sticker (albeit the MSRP will probably be a touch higher).

Let the fools pay that much. Wait. Patience is a virtue.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Thats how I got my Mystichrome for under MSRP, not to mention way under the ADM of $10k. Waited til after the holidays when the delaerships were hurtin. I will always shop for a car that time of year!

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Chris Benvie said:
I would assume since there will still be 07's sitting on the lots (because some people got greedy) in 08, that 08s will be had for sticker or less. Just like the 07s that will still be sitting around in 08.

Think of it this way, mathematically.

Invoice is around $39k on a Bare bones shelby. Floorplan rates are around 5%. My figures are off as its compounded interest, and the value gets curtailed, but take 5% of $39k.

$1950. To hold onto that car for the year. My math isnt perfect and not everyone pays that much interest, and its on the entire amount of inventory, not just one car.

But if I had to pay $1950 just to hold a car to sell it, i'd take whatever over what it costs me.

So yes sticker by summer on ALL 07's because by July/August. 08's will be sitting right next to them at sticker (albeit the MSRP will probably be a touch higher).

Let the fools pay that much. Wait. Patience is a virtue.

First you will never see a "bare bones" Shelby. Second, you won't see 07's sitting around when the 08's hit. :poke:

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
Thats how I got my Mystichrome for under MSRP, not to mention way under the ADM of $10k. Waited til after the holidays when the delaerships were hurtin. I will always shop for a car that time of year!

What month did you buy your car?

PACETTR

Established Member
I work for a dealer, and the last car we got in (about 2-3 weeks ago) was a black/black vert. I sent an e-mail to the local Mustang club and had two buyers within 2 days, and 2 more within the week (sold for $15k over to the first person that called). The ADM's are definitely coming down, but not as hard and fast as you might think...

UCBeau

i dunno, i don't really like red with the white stripes. plus, there are better cars to be had for 45,000 dollars.

PACETTR

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
drew ford has been selling all thier gt500's for msrp. last i heard the wait list was 159 deep.
:lol: Maybe they'll take D-Plan...I'm sure my owner will sign off on it.:-D

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
that's awesome, but i am not going to Drew Ford.
Besides the corvette, what car is 45k and better than the gt500?
The gt500 in many minds is better than the vette because of modability and a back seat.
There really is nothing else out right now like the gt500. Once the challenger and camaro come out, there will be some more choices.

Users who are viewing this thread