Moving to California

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
yes that is also what i was going to write - the fact that a cop can pull you over, look under the hood and decide whether to write you a ticket, even though he probably does not have a very good knowledge of what is carb legal or not.

then, for the court to clear the ticket, it has to have passed the inspection of a state referee from the bureau of automotive repair. ask me how i know all this lol

so, sometimes having "a smog guy" is not enough.

if you do get a ref ticket you always have the option of just paying the $800? fine right? or so ive heard. which is great. they bust you for "polluting the air" but for $800 you can keep doing it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Passenger vehicles arent that bad for tag fees.

Trucks, yeah... bend over and take it.

My 2016 Ram 2500 is almost $700 per year to register. Believe it was $686 to be exact. Weight fee was over $200 of that $686. Ridiculous.
Jesus

04MysticCobra

Established Member
depends on which county you live in. in LA its 9%, and going up iirc.

i believe vehicle's weight also comes into play as well. i remember my uncle said he was paying $1k a year for his S class back in the day. and it really sucks when you have multiple vehicles but hardly drive them.

Sounds damn expensive. It must really cost$$ to have a multiple car collection that is not driven daily.

286rocks

Established Member
yes that is also what i was going to write - the fact that a cop can pull you over, look under the hood and decide whether to write you a ticket, even though he probably does not have a very good knowledge of what is carb legal or not.

then, for the court to clear the ticket, it has to have passed the inspection of a state referee from the bureau of automotive repair. ask me how i know all this lol

so, sometimes having "a smog guy" is not enough.

^^ exception to every rule.

9/10 times a smog guy is enough, but youre right... could get ugly if you run into some bad luck.

I completely understand what you're saying, and it's a shame this state; that unfortunately spans the majority of the US west coast, is subject to the laws and taxation proceeding over it as a whole.

It's like asking people from NJ to try and accept the laws, culture, and tax, of those from GA. It's a very different group of people that have a high probability of never finding common ground.

The counties of CA are left almost to act as their own state, which in my particular situation they have.

As such, the emissions of POV's has taken a back seat and are ignored. The car culture here is encouraged and, although small, remains enthusiastic.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
if you do get a ref ticket you always have the option of just paying the $800? fine right? or so ive heard. which is great. they bust you for "polluting the air" but for $800 you can keep doing it.

Ha!! i didnt know that but doesnt surpise me one bit. ^^^^

lol wouldn't surprise me either - considering the whole thing is just one big effing money grab as it is

but my ticket did cost me close to $800, and that was with going to the bar referee. i don't think it gave me the option. i have heard about what you're referring to but i am not quite sure

nxhappy

Established Member
Sounds damn expensive. It must really cost$$ to have a multiple car collection that is not driven daily.
yeah, it is. And the dumbass governor just raised it AGAIN so registration will be even more, on top on registration, and higher gas tax. **** our lives ....

510paesan

Established Member
So when is the petition to recall moonbeam going to be drafted ?
I'll sign first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Moonbeam is almost gone. Even if a petition was successful, it would be un-enforceable and have 0% effectiveness.

in 2007 I bought a Harley in Tucson as a resident of Arizona. 3 months later I decided to try my luck in California. Upon arriving, I promptly got my license, but about shit myself when I got the estimate for registering my Harley. Purchased in AZ as an AZ resident 3 months prior. About $300 if I remember and I had to pay like $800 in the difference of taxes. For a Harley.

My bike wasnt a California bike until like 2 years later haha.

There is the idea of paying to play, and then there is reality. If you are all but set to move INTO California, you have to be ready for the lubeless 5" buttplug the state will make you insert upon arrival.

People FROM California are used to it and dont really know any better. Its what its always been. People like me who are originally out of state and move into CA, are usually blown away. Most who truly love it there deal with it. Some after a while get fed up and want their rights and freedoms back but cant leave. Many actually make a plan and leave.

I lived in CA for 9.5 years, and yes there were aspects of leaving that were hard to accept (family, friends etc, San Diego girls... damn...). I was changing my life of 10 years for a new experience away from everyone I cared about. It was a little terrifying!

OP whatever you do, go into this with eyes wide open, be skeptical and know you are moving to a very beautiful place... that will want to take every dollar you have, suppress your rights and freedoms and laugh at you when your down.

If you have a good job waiting (like a legit, high 5 figure salary at least), a great support network of family (either going with you or a phone call away) and understand that you are going to pay a whole lot to live there, you'll be ok. Oh, and Black Rifles are bad, fast cars are fun but only if CARB deems them legal, and all aftermarket parts or power other than stock are bad. :D

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Moonbeam is almost gone. Even if a petition was successful, it would be un-enforceable and have 0% effectiveness.

in 2007 I bought a Harley in Tucson as a resident of Arizona. 3 months later I decided to try my luck in California. Upon arriving, I promptly got my license, but about shit myself when I got the estimate for registering my Harley. Purchased in AZ as an AZ resident 3 months prior. About $300 if I remember and I had to pay like $800 in the difference of taxes. For a Harley.

There is the idea of paying to play, and then there is reality. If you are all but set to move INTO California, you have to be ready for the lubeless 5" buttplug the state will make you insert upon arrival.

People FROM California are used to it and dont really know any better. Its what its always been. People like me who are originally out of state and move into CA, are usually blown away. Most who truly love it there deal with it. Some after a while get fed up and want their rights and freedoms back but cant leave. Many actually make a plan and leave.

I lived in CA for 9.5 years, and yes there were aspects of leaving that were hard to accept (family, friends etc, San Diego girls... damn...). I was changing my life of 10 years for a new experience away from everyone I cared about. It was a little terrifying!

OP whatever you do, go into this with eyes wide open, be skeptical and know you are moving to a very beautiful place... that will want to take every dollar you have, suppress your rights and freedoms and laugh at you when your down.

If you have a good job waiting (like a legit, high 5 figure salary at least), a great support network of family (either going with you or a phone call away) and understand that you are going to pay a whole lot to live there, you'll be ok. Oh, and Black Rifles are bad, fast cars are fun but only if CARB deems them legal, and all aftermarket parts or power other than stock are bad. :D

Make it more like a 6 figure salary to live comfortably in a decent neighborhood lol.

Also, get ready for everyone you meet to ask you why you didn't buy a prius or civic.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
CA is like the crazy, hot, high maintenance chick who chain smokes, is an alchoholic and may or may not have an std. you want to bang but you will regret it one way or another...

yeah, it is. And the dumbass governor just raised it AGAIN so registration will be even more, on top on registration, and higher gas tax. **** our lives ....

i read the other day that theyre proposing raising property tax $3 a day! to pay for "affordable housing" for all the homeless people. might be just LA county though. we just voted to raise the sales tax to build "housing" for them. ffs. another $1k+ a year in property taxes?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
CA is like the crazy, hot, high maintenance chick who chain smokes, is an alchoholic and may or may not have an std. you want to bang but you will regret it one way or another...

i read the other day that theyre proposing raising property tax $3 a day! to pay for "affordable housing" for all the homeless people. might be just LA county though. we just voted to raise the sales tax to build "housing" for them. ffs. another $1k+ a year in property taxes?

So glad I skipped to Kern county.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Passenger vehicles arent that bad for tag fees.

Trucks, yeah... bend over and take it.

My 2016 Ram 2500 is almost $700 per year to register. Believe it was $686 to be exact. Weight fee was over $200 of that $686. Ridiculous.

Do you have personal property tax on top of that? I’m guessing not. Every state gets you one way or another. It’s only $45 or something per year to register any vehicle here in VA, but personal property tax is charged in every county but one. I paid nearly $4,000 in personal property tax on our 4 vehicles and my trailer last year.

nxhappy

Established Member

this man knows what's up.....seriously, it's 100% true

barstowpo

Established Member
Not only can LE pull you over and look under your hood, CARB sets up mobile monitoring stations and will mail notices to show up for an inspection. Failure to comply results in your registration being suspended. Also, new vehicles brought in from another state need to be smogged prior to being registered.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Not only can LE pull you over and look under your hood, CARB sets up mobile monitoring stations and will mail notices to show up for an inspection. Failure to comply results in your registration being suspended. Also, new vehicles brought in from another state need to be smogged prior to being registered.

everything i have read about those random, roadside mobile monitoring stations is that they are strictly voluntary and you do not have to do it if they ask you to. that was a huge relief lol

but i will see if i can find a link

edit: here's where i read that they are voluntary

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Roadside_Inspection_Program.html

Users who are viewing this thread