Motortrend: "...best drivers cars in world..."

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Not much of a review like the title suggests, but good to hear none the less!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Their thoughts on the regular GT350 are just like mine. Even though I haven't driven either of them, I wouldn't be happy "settling" for a regular GT350 knowing that the R exists. I speak from personal experience that it would nag me to no end knowing that a better version of my car is [sort of] available, and I had the means to acquire it.

bpmurr

Established Member
Their thoughts on the regular GT350 are just like mine. Even though I haven't driven either of them, I wouldn't be happy "settling" for a regular GT350 knowing that the R exists. I speak from personal experience that it would nag me to no end knowing that a better version of my car is [sort of] available, and I had the means to acquire it.

Yet to the Ford dealer network the GT350 and R might as well be the same car with the crazy ADMs. The GT350 is still a very good car just not great like the R.

Jfoster

Established Member
Yet to the Ford dealer network the GT350 and R might as well be the same car with the crazy ADMs. The GT350 is still a very good car just not great like the R.

I'd argue that the non-r is great and the R is just greater. There's going to be no lack of fun to be had from non-r owners with sticky tires at the track.

Para81

Established Member

Not me. The Track Pack Shelby GT350 is where the bargain is. They can keep the 13,000 dollar diamond carbon wheels im not interested in that headache. It's a lot of money for what is essentially a wheel and tire package and slight suspension adjustment. I think it's rare and amazing the R agreed, but if I really wanted light wheels or no backseats and cup tires that can be done to any base GT350 if you really HAD to have that. Considering all cars get the Flat plane crank - Magneride - Tremec 6speed - that's where the money is, I don't need only 500 editions.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Not me. The Track Pack Shelby GT350 is where the bargain is. They can keep the 13,000 dollar diamond carbon wheels im not interested in that headache. It's a lot of money for what is essentially a wheel and tire package and slight suspension adjustment. I think it's rare and amazing the R agreed, but if I really wanted light wheels or no backseats and cup tires that can be done to any base GT350 if you really HAD to have that. Considering all cars get the Flat plane crank - Magneride - Tremec 6speed - that's where the money is, I don't need only 500 editions.

I can see where you're coming from, but you definitely oversimplified the differences. Just to buy the carbon fiber pieces separately would add up to what some of the more insane dealers are charging in markups. And those tires aren't exactly cheap, especially in those sizes. And the R just looks more badass than the standard GT350.

krt22

Established Member

I was happy settling for the TP car, knowing it is still a beast that I wont ever be able to fully pilot to its limits, and it is a much value without any ADMs, and with some lighter wheels and sticker tires wont really be that far off R performance. That being said, if I could have found an R at MSRP, I would have bought it in a heart beat. Without ADMs it is the best performance bargain out there.

gravedgr

Established Member
I can see where you're coming from, but you definitely oversimplified the differences. Just to buy the carbon fiber pieces separately would add up to what some of the more insane dealers are charging in markups. And those tires aren't exactly cheap, especially in those sizes. And the R just looks more badass than the standard GT350.

LOL. Why? The wheels? The wing? Please.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

Wheels
Wing
Front splitter
Red badges
Red stripe on the steering wheel
Red piping on the seats

What's amusing about that. Do you not think the Viper ACR is more badass looking than the standard Viper? The Z06 isn't more badass looking than the standard Corvette? The 911 GT3 RS isn't more badass looking than the 911 Carrera?

Jfoster

Established Member

Statistically, you're in the minority. Ask everyone who bought a non-r if they would have purchased an R, if they had the option and if the ADM wasn't like it is. I would have been plenty excited with a non-r if I hadn't found mine - excellent value, which we can agree with one caveat; as long as you're leaving the non-r stock. As soon as you buy a set of "real" wheels/tires, the value gap narrows quite a bit (of course, assuming the R could be had at MSRP or even $5k over).

Jfoster

Established Member
PS - I don't agree with this but.... The R also allows you the option of full electronics/track stuff. Kinda crappy to only have that option with the $$$ pricetag but it's still a perceived advantage of the R even if it seems like a poor value. ;(

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It seems to me they are calling it the best drivers car over the z06 over the m3 over the GT3RS over the 458/488. That is high praise specially for the 60k price tag.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.

I agree with you.

If they made a 2014 GT500R I would have had to have it.

I would not pay an adm.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
If money is a non-issue, the R is were is at. 350 is an awesome machine but is not an R. This difference is easily illustrated on the R's ability to beat the Z28 vs the old Z28 beating up on the regular GT350.

You have some serious USI issues bud, ever heard of opinions?

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
If money is a non-issue, the R is were is at. 350 is an awesome machine but is not an R. This difference is easily illustrated on the R's ability to beat the Z28 vs the old Z28 beating up on the regular GT350.

Just because i like starting arguments and/or discussions on the internet, if money were no issue then get a Maclaren P1... I think part of what makes the GT350 so damn good is its basically 8/10ths the car the R is, and the last few bits arent that hard to do on your own (or at least get close). The R is obviously one hell of a car out of the box (they both are), and probably more for the guy who is going to leave it stock, but the pricing of both is really what makes this even a discussion at all.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

You have some serious USI issues bud, ever heard of opinions?

I would like to see the track pack 350 or trofeo' go head to head with the z. I don't think the z would win. But who cars the new 6 1le will beat all including z06!!!

Voltwings

Established Member
I would be beyond impressed if a Camaro 1Le beats the Z06. Even if it "could" i highly doubt chevrolet would let it.

Users who are viewing this thread