MotorTrend 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs. 2013 Ford Shelby GT500

red351wcobra

Established Member
What these magazines fail to take into account is that. All production cars are a compromise. Of course these cars going to have brake issuse on a fast track. Ford or Chevy will not put an aggressive brake pad on these cars from the factory that will take the punishment of heavy track duty. People would be complaining about all the brake dust, or that they squeal. 90% of the Shelby owner wont even see a road course, let alone push there cars hard enough to induce brake fade. The Shelby owner that will track there cars will have a seperate set of track pads. Just my .02

germeezy1

Established Member
Last I checked handling was a part of performance or did I miss something? Is super car handling not as impressive as super car straight line performance? Do any of you think that any of the reviewers plan to go back and change their minds at your request?

These reviews are subjective, and they are done because reading the spec sheets about the car does not tell the whole story. The fact is that most drivers are not even qualified to handle the more forgiving ZL1 on a back road or road course let alone a GT500.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Real world speaks for itself, from personal accounts the ZL1 isn't remotely close in any scenario. Road course, drag strip, street or whatever.

These similar magazine editor opinions are interesting to say the least. Owners who've actually road coursed their ZL1s are all disappointed.

germeezy1

Established Member
Real world speaks for itself, from personal accounts the ZL1 isn't remotely close in any scenario. Road course, drag strip, street or whatever.

These similar magazine editor opinions are interesting to say the least. Owners who've actually road coursed their ZL1s are all disappointed.

Real world results change the outcome of these reviews, and the reviewers opinion how exactly? I would trust the words of pro racing drivers that drive the cars back to back more than I would trust widely varying driver skill levels.

red351wcobra

Established Member
I just wonder how reliable the ZL1 is going to be? Will they heat soak faster then the Shelbys. Ford has 10 yrs on Chevy who is new to the supercharged game.

germeezy1

Established Member
I just wonder how reliable the ZL1 is going to be? Will they heat soak faster then the Shelbys. Ford has 10 yrs on Chevy who is new to the supercharged game.

The Shelby has a better heat exchanger/ intercooler circuit , and that is something that will need attention on a modified ZL1. GM is definitely not new to the forced induction or supercharger game, maybe you forgot about the 3.8 supercharged?

red351wcobra

Established Member
Your right, but the ZL1 is a different beast. Wasn't there a video of a Lingenfelter Camaro ZL1 trying to top 200mph. But they where saying the car was having really bad heat soak issues?

19935.slow

Established Member
It's amazing that everyone in here know how the car is and isn't, yet 10 people have one on the forums. Most of which have not posted.

germeezy1

Established Member
Your right, but the ZL1 is a different beast. Wasn't there a video of a Lingenfelter Camaro ZL1 trying to top 200mph. But they where saying the car was having really bad heat soak issues?

Anything that far over stock boost ( 8 psi) on a ZL1 will have heat soak issue because of the R1900 TVS as well as the inadequate heat exchanger/ intercooler. Once aftermarket blowers become available then it will not be as big of an issue (high IAT's, and heat soak) but I would imagine a 200 mph ZL1 would still have issues.

It's amazing that everyone in here know how the car is and isn't, yet 10 people have one on the forums. Most of which have not posted.

No one is debating real world experience many are simply trying to start this conspiracy theory. Which is funny because the journalists already tell you why they choose the way they do if you really read the reviews.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Real world results change the outcome of these reviews, and the reviewers opinion how exactly? I would trust the words of pro racing drivers that drive the cars back to back more than I would trust widely varying driver skill levels.

Does not change anyone's opinion nor did I say it did. Fact is, after one lap these cars can't get out of their own way according to long-time road course goers who got duped by this false marketing hype and bought one.

It's a 4200lb car with way less power and an absolute shit cooling system. It's basically a CTS-V with 1000X more hype and false propaganda created to sell cars.

That's my only qualm with these opinions. IMO, the ZL1 is NOT a 'world class handling car', it just makes way less power with more grip which makes it more manageable.

Put up a slow ass stock EVO to a Z06 on stock run flats and the exact same argument can be made on a tight track.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
GT500 rides just fine on the street...I honestly am not sure what people expect out of a 662 HP pony car, ride on clouds?? personally I want a car that pushes my skill level, that forces me to respect it and even fear it a little.....Its like someone saying you want this crazy bucking horse you have to tame or do you want to just trot along on this cute little pony??

They can claim whatever victory they want for the zl1 and its awesome MRC which gives it such comfortable easy driving....im more than satisfied with my scary, archaic, brutish monster....and just FWIW this car rides very very nicely when just cruising along and gets better mileage if you are on a long trip

so there is a little insight from an actual owner, the mags can suck it :rockon:

red351wcobra

Established Member
Well said!
I wouldnt want a Shelby that rides like my CTS-V. That It's what the Shelby is about. The car needs to demand the drivers attention. It's obvious that the Shelby is way more Of a drivers car compared to the Camaro.I'll take my V over the Camaro any day.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
what these magazines fail to take into account is that. All production cars are a compromise. Of course these cars going to have brake issuse on a fast track. Ford or chevy will not put an aggressive brake pad on these cars from the factory that will take the punishment of heavy track duty. People would be complaining about all the brake dust, or that they squeal. 90% of the shelby owner wont even see a road course, let alone push there cars hard enough to induce brake fade. The shelby owner that will track there cars will have a seperate set of track pads. Just my .02

+1

Users who are viewing this thread