MotorTrend 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs. 2013 Ford Shelby GT500

Svt4ever22

Established Member
With just exhaust, the ZL1 would kill it in a 1 lap race. You would need more then that with the GT500. Handling\Power or just brute power? You choose. Heavier, less power, yet it would still win STOCK in a 3 lap race. Or 1 lap on a bigger track. Anyone can be fast in a straight line.

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
Did some of yall even read the article or look at the numbers posted around the track? Looks aside and bias aside, power is easy to make up for imo... handling not so much. The GT500 handles great but the ZL1 does it better. The GT500 won on brute hp on the long straight before the checkered flag. Both are awesome and I realize its an SVT board but give the Zl1 a little credit. To do what it did and weigh as much as it does +being down 80 hp is pretty awesome.

they didnt give the boss any credit when they compared it to the ZL1 and it was down 80 horse and did pretty aweosme against chevys mighty camaro . In the end who cares what the mags say doiesnt matter if the GT500 slaughtered the ZL the camaro guys will still stand behind there car just as the GT500 guys would do the same if the outcome was reveresed. Mag comparos wont change who likes what and where there loyalty lies. If I had the means a GT500 would be my choice hands down I am not a chevy guy at all and think the new camaro is hideous but will give some credit to GM for at least giving ford something to go toe to toe with. Competition between these tow cars will just make it that much better for us car guys. I want to see MM&FF do a camparo with the shelby and the ZL just like they did with the 03 cobra and SS back in 03

Joe

Last edited:

tony soprano

Established Member
I'll take the ladder, thanks.

It's yours.

ladder-safety.jpg

Raven519

Established Member
I thought the point was to win the race?

Mustang won drag race, mustang won road race.

Were we comparing anything else?

:shrug:

Hate to point it out, but since when does a road race consist of 1 lap? Like the article said, after a couple laps the mustang was losing ground fast to the camaro.

Everyone knew the mustang with the extra power and slightly lighter weight it would be quicker at the strip. The camaro is better at the track, 1 lap being faster doesn't make the mustang better. Since the camaro laps didn't change much, lap after lap, unlike the mustang due to its brakes overheating after just one lap was losing time lap after lap.

I'd take the ZL1 just because of the suspension in it, after driving a rwd car with an IRS I would never consider getting a new mustang until it gets an IRS. That and of course a face lift, don't like the droopy eyes and retarded smiling grill look.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Hate to point it out, but since when does a road race consist of 1 lap? Like the article said, after a couple laps the mustang was losing ground fast to the camaro.

Everyone knew the mustang with the extra power and slightly lighter weight it would be quicker at the strip. The camaro is better at the track, 1 lap being faster doesn't make the mustang better. Since the camaro laps didn't change much, lap after lap, unlike the mustang due to its brakes overheating after just one lap was losing time lap after lap.

I'd take the ZL1 just because of the suspension in it, after driving a rwd car with an IRS I would never consider getting a new mustang until it gets an IRS. That and of course a face lift, don't like the droopy eyes and retarded smiling grill look.

If you buy either of these cars to road race in then I have some bad news for you.

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
for years this magazine has loved bmw and chebby....who cares. not saying the shelby is the best car out there...but come one. Just keep posting videos of the zli getting spanked!!!!!

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Care to elaborate on that? Seeing as both are designed to go around a track, the ZL1 more-so than the GT500.

Heat soak. These supercharged engines aren't track friendly. Plus the FR500 series solid axle Mustang that you can order through ford specifically for track use handles better than both, and has been kicking European ass for years now.:rolling:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
With just exhaust, the ZL1 would kill it in a 1 lap race. You would need more then that with the GT500. Handling\Power or just brute power? You choose. Heavier, less power, yet it would still win STOCK in a 3 lap race. Or 1 lap on a bigger track. Anyone can be fast in a straight line.

Go buy an EVO and setup some cones in a parking lot. :). Just don't get a ZL1, you won't see the cones with it's shit visibility.

Clearly that's what you want from a $55,000 pony car

And what's with this 'just an exhaust' shit? :lol1:

Nice username.

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Care to elaborate on that? Seeing as both are designed to go around a track, the ZL1 more-so than the GT500.

Blown, heavy cars are not road course cars. Heat soak is a bitch that makes consistency go out the window. If I wanted a car for road course duty then I would be getting a ZO6 or a LS Boss.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
[youtube_browser]FF-db7bX9LI[/youtube_browser]

That was a great review....up until the 14:09 mark ;-). The best one I believe you are going to get out of these two cars. The only reason I don't like the final verdict has been the same reason why I haven't been liking the other reviews of the cars. Not enough emphasis is being placed on performance, if there was the GT500 would be labeled the winner. I understand the reason why comfort is a factor, which makes sense, but too much is being placed on it in a comparison between two muscle cars. If I was looking for comfort I would be looking at luxury cars and not muscle cars. Seems like magazines are placing their review formula for high-end luxury sedans and using it on performance cars.

It does suck however that it left out some of the pluses of the GT500. Odd how those get breezed by in these reviews.

So in the end, you beef up the brakes in the GT500 and you are in business (change out brake fluid and/or pads).

Last edited:

bumplime

Established Member
The video of the drag race was enough to cause a ZL1 owner to cry or pretend that their car isnt/ wasnt meant to be a drag car.
I have no issue with their review. Its their opinion, nothing more. I do find it funny that they call the Shelby a 1 trick pony, it clearly is not. If the average diver thinks theyll experience the brake fade they speak about, well then your clearly giving yourself too much credit.
Randy is an excellent driver, most of us are not. I enjoyed listening to him giggle as he drove the Shelby, he was as he said having "fun". I dont recall him saying that in the ZL1, maybe I missed that. The real tests havent occurred because we havent seen two average joes race each other. Either way I dont put much thought into what a magazine writers opinions are. I look at the factual numbers, take my subjective feelings into account and make my decision. I couldnt care less what others think.
I will give any ZL1 owner the respect that I give all car guys. You never know what lurks under the hood or in the trunk of the car next to you. Ive been surprised many of times by cars that I thought had no business being on a track.
Each of us buys for our own satisfaction. Enjoy your car.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Did not enjoy that comparison video at all. Despite the GT500 winning mostly everything, it overall loses because of the brakes :??:

Blown032k

Established Member
Some snippets from the article that I found interesting:

-The GT500 has better steering

-The GT500 has better "natural" chassis balance

-Randy Pobst would choose the GT500 were it not for the brake fade issue

As for the brake fade issue, if you track your car brake pads will need to be changed frequently. So, the first time you need to replace the pads on your new GT500 you simply go to a more aggressive material and your fade issue is solved.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
[youtube_browser]FF-db7bX9LI[/youtube_browser]

:dw:

Last edited:

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
Even with the stock pads/fluid I just find it hard to believe 15" 6 piston Brembo brakes get that bad after 1 lap..

On another note,I'd like to see these cars at somewhere like Road America.

Users who are viewing this thread