MotorTrend 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs. 2013 Ford Shelby GT500

tristateZ28Lt1

Established Member
2013-Ford-Shelby-Mustang-GT500-2012-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-front-end.jpg

They rank the ZL1 first, the GT500 second. One big part are the GT500's brakes. Lots of fade after only one lap.
Closer than expected, They were dead even until the last straight away where the GT500 pulled away.
2012-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-2013-Ford-Shelby-GT500-Laguna-Seca-Lap-Map.jpg

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs. 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 - Motor Trend

Last edited:

cmsnake

Established Member
Read this article this morning on my iphone on the john. The morning dump wasnt the only thing that stunk.

I believe the ZL1 has won its third comparo in a row now.

They both essentially handle the same, while the Shelby murders it in a straight line and has options like nav and recaros that the ZL1 does not. And somehow the ZL1 manages to come out on top every time. To the pony car buyer, the Shelby delivers what they want. The ZL1, not so much.

tristateZ28Lt1

Established Member
Read this article this morning on my iphone on the john. The morning dump wasnt the only thing that stunk.

They both essentially handle the same, while the Shelby murders it in a straight line and has options like nav and recaros that the ZL1 does not. And somehow the ZL1 manages to come out on top every time. To the pony car buyer, the Shelby delivers what they want. The ZL1, not so much.

LOL! Personally I wouldn't think twice about which car to buy: The GT500, hands down. And I am a bit of a Chevy fan. If they figure out the brakes, the GT500 should win those comparos. But then who the f cares. Running almost 126mph in the 1/4 mile is enough reason to buy any car. Shit, I'd drive a Prius if it were that quick.

bleedingfordblu

Established Member

sure it'll win when chevy is paying. lets see, the GT500 was faster around a track, raped it in the drag strip, better fuel mileage, shorter braking 60-0, but somehow the ZL1 is a better car?

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
These articles have people in an uproar lol, What surprises me the most is the as tested price. What options did this GT500 have?

LOL! Personally I wouldn't think twice about which car to buy: The GT500, hands down. And I am a bit of a Chevy fan. If they figure out the brakes, the GT500 should win those comparos. But then who the f cares. Running almost 126mph in the 1/4 mile is enough reason to buy any car. Shit, I'd drive a Prius if it were that quick.

No you wouldn't lol

Go Down South

Established Member
lol camaro5 is probably jumping with joy. Who gives a shit though. I think its been made clear several times which car is the better overall performer. Also, lol at this. I guess the guys at M/T can't do basic math.

"By the third lap, the Mustang was behind the Camaro, turning a 1:39.30. The ZL1, meanwhile, never deviated by more than two-tenths of a second"

That would make the slowest lap time of the ZL1 1:39:38, still slower than the GT500.

Last edited:

Cobra8urZ06

Established Member
so the gt500 is quicker at the dragstrip and posted a quicker lap time even with the brake fade and still loses another comparo?? Hmmmm good to see GM is still padding pockets

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Who cares? Just some more subjective opinions. Toughen up a bit.

I guess being from the Viper camp, I am well conditioned to my car being slammed in every magazine review, even after it dusts it's competition.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
So the Mustang was faster in both performance events, stopped quicker than the ZL1, and lost? Uh, ok. Also, how was the GT500 equipped?

Last edited:

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
When did anybody ever get a shit about MotorTrend? The GT500 is still dragging the biggest balls = Winning!

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
sure it'll win when chevy is paying. lets see, the GT500 was faster around a track, raped it in the drag strip, better fuel mileage, shorter braking 60-0, but somehow the ZL1 is a better car?

It's Motortrend, what do you expect? :nonono:

The only magazine more useless is Consumer reports.

Z28

Established Member
Sounds to me that the overall "feel" of the ZL1 was better. Same reason why American cars have been losing to European cars in magazine tests for years, even when the American cars were faster...

Users who are viewing this thread