Motor Monitor : SVTP 2012 GT Gets an AeroForce Interceptor

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-svtp-2012-gt-gets-aeroforce-interceptor.html

It’s an interesting dichotomy that the more modded (and dare I say fun?) a vehicle gets the more things you really need to keep an eye on. The line between a ludicrously powerful engine and a time bomb can often be quite svelte. The one thing that could keep you from slipping into the dark depressing membership of the popped motor club is accurate and timely information. That’s where AeroForce Interceptor can become your new best friend.

The Interceptor simply plugs into your vehicle’s OBD-II port and basically lets you keep an eye on anything the ECU monitors. So when our friends over at Lethal Performance gave us the opportunity to try out a AeroForce gauge in the SVTP GT the only thing we wanted to know was, ‘how fast can you get it to us?’ Since we had installed a Magnuson Supercharger and our own Home Brewed CAI we were well aware that the nearly 600 RWHP Coyote was going to require some extra vigilance to make certain we keep the engine running within safe limits.

Two of the parameters we were interested in watching are Air/Fuel Ratio and Spark Timing, and one of the great things about the AeroForce gauge is that it lets you monitor two different parameters at the same time. So you can basically have two gauges for the price, and space consumption, of one. Also, you have the option to set the gauge into “Scan Mode” and have it rotate through a chosen list of metrics. If you have the AeroForce gauge set to scan you can essentially replace an entire pillar full of analog gauges with a single piece of digital technology. That also makes driving a bit easier because you only have to look at a single point to obtain the information instead of scanning a pillar. AeroForce also gives you the option to outfit the gauge with different colors and finishes for the faceplates and trim rings, so you’ll be able to dress the Interceptor out to match your interior.

If you find yourself only needing one Interceptor Lethal has the perfect (and inexpensive) solution for you. They also offer the Roush A/C Vent Mount Gauge Pod. The Roush Pod replaces the driver’s side A/C vent without having to cut, drill, or permanently modify your stock dash. While it’s just a simple piece of molded plastic it places an aftermarket 2 1/16" gauge in the perfect spot for easy viewing. It also seamlessly matches the stock interior while not significantly affecting airflow through the vent. My one concern with it is the possibility that condensation produced by the A/C system in the humid South Carolina Summer may be detrimental to the AeroForce gauge. I suppose we’ll see how it all holds up over the next few months and bring you any updates.

Follow along as we install the AeroForce Interceptor and the Roush Pod from Lethal Performance in the SVTP 2012 GT:

Time to get started.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_001.jpg

The Roush pod comes with easy to follow instructions.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_003.jpg

We'll be popping it in here, the driver's side A/C vent.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_004.jpg

The panel is held in with clips and can be removed by gently pulling out on it.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_005.jpg

The panel is easier to get out of the way if you lower the steering wheel as low as it will go.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_006.jpg

This is what you'll find behind that trim panel.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_007.jpg

This is the duct work for the A/C system, soon to be home of our AeroForce Interceptor gauge.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_009.jpg

It's now out and ready to mod.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_008.jpg

The louver ring has to be removed from the bezel. Be careful with this step because these little tabs are easily broken.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_010.jpg

You just depress the tabs and push it through the panel.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_011.jpg

This is what you'll be left with.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_014.jpg

You then just pull a few more tabs to remove the chrome trim ring.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_015.jpg

With gentle pressure the louvers can be removed from the housing.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_016.jpg

There are two sets of louvers, both must be removed.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_017.jpg

This is what you'll be left with once all the accoutrements has been removed.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_018.jpg

I'm never pleased to see parts from this origin on Ford parts.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_019.jpg

The Roush post just slides into the now empty drum.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_020.jpg

It fits in like so.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_021.jpg

You then just have to pop on the trim ring.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_022.jpg

It's now time to turn our attention to the AeroForce gauge.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_023.jpg

It's a well designed simple piece of hardware.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_024.jpg

It features a port for a the OBD-II cable and one for auxiliary sensors that can be purchased from Lethal separately.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_025.jpg

Speaking of the OBD-II cable...

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_026.jpg

One of the best features of the AeroForce gauge is that it can be dressed out with several different face plates and trim rings options to match you interior. These too can be purchased individually from Lethal Performance.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_027.jpg

This is the OBD-II port, found in the driver's foot-well.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_028.jpg

The cable plugs in and the cable it routed up through the dash to the A/C vent area.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_029.jpg

AeroForce gives you plenty of cable to work with, so you'll have to stow the excess out of the way.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_030.jpg

A couple of strategically placed zip-ties will help keep things tidy.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_031.jpg

The excess cable can then be stowed inside the dash, with the connector left exposed so it can be attached to the gauge.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_032.jpg

Be sure to stow the excess cable in a manner that will prevent it from rattling. No one wants to listen to the sound of two squirrels fighting behind the dash as they drive down the road.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_033.jpg

It's now time to place the pod equipped bezel back into the dash.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_034.jpg

It's starting to come together.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_035.jpg

The OBD-II cable simply plugs into the Interceptor gauge.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_036.jpg

The gauge then just slides into the Roush pod.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_037.jpg

The AeroForce gauge fit a little too loosely in the Roush pod for my liking. Wrapping a couple layers of 3M Scotch tape around the gauge body added enough to the gauge body diameter to allow for a much better fit.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_038.jpg

The finished product looks great. Subtle yet functional mods such as the AeroForce Interceptor are what I prefer to add whenever possible.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_039.jpg

Setting up the AeroForce gauge is a simple matter once you master the two button control system.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_040.jpg

We selected A/F Ratio and Ignition Timing as our two parameters to keep on the main screen.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_041.jpg

While the AeroForce gauge makes a handsomely subtle mod in day light, it looks even more impressive at night.

SVTP_GT_AeroForce_042.jpg

If after all the pics you're still looking for more information about the AerForce gauge, Jared at Lethal Performance put together this little video which goes into further detail on the features of the gauge.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/pjax05z_lSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Special Thanks To:

Lethal Performance

-SID297:beer:

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Nice, did mine about a month ago and its been a blessing when monitoring the car weather your running a canned tune or a custom one.

Are you going to take advantage of the analog inputs for boost pressure in the future with your setup?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Can you choose any 2 parameters to be measured/displayed on the home screen, or are they pre determined pairs? I'm really considering getting one to monitor trans temp and a/f or vacuum pull.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Can you choose any 2 parameters to be measured/displayed on the home screen, or are they pre determined pairs? I'm really considering getting one to monitor trans temp and a/f or vacuum pull.

You can choose any two (or even just one) you want.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Edit: dang...just read the wideband option is only on the 2011+

well...neat bit of kit for you guys with new cars :)

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
On American Muscle they offer an AeroForce Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Kit for an additional cost but I do not see that on Lethal Performance. Did you purchase anything additional to the gauge specifically to get the A/F readings?

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
On American Muscle they offer an AeroForce Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Kit for an additional cost but I do not see that on Lethal Performance. Did you purchase anything additional to the gauge specifically to get the A/F readings?

All 2011+ mustangs including V6's, GT's and GT500's as well as the Raptor all come from the factory with built in widebands and don't require the additional wideband sensor kit. The gauge reads A/F directly off of the PCM.

On pre 2011 mustangs you would need to purchase the widebands sensor kit in order to display A/F on the AeroForce gauge. We list those sensor kits in the same section as the gauges are listed in.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Jared

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks Travis and SVTP for the awesome writeup!!

If any of you guys have any questions about the AeroForce Interceptor or any of their sensor kits please feel free to give us a call.

Thanks!!

Jared & The Staff at TeamLethal

JerryC

Established Member
Autometer makes a beveled ring pn#2234 that will go behind the guage. It makes it so that the guage faces the driver and is so much easier to read, especially in daylight. I drove with mine without the ring for 11 months until I saw a post about it and I sure wish I had known on day 1.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Looks fantastic....Is it possible to dim the gauges so they are not so bright!?

Gonna have to look into this piece! Thanks for the write-up!

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
Wow this is amazing. Definitely looking to get one soon.

Can this gauge read oil pressure and fuel pressure? (i'm sure I'm asking for too much lol)

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Nice write-up and I had no ideal that it was that easy to install. Just plug n play literally. need to tune the car, just unplug the gauge.

Does it measure boost/vacuum ? Or do you need a special part for that. I would like to see my Air/Fuel and Boost.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Nice write-up and I had no ideal that it was that easy to install. Just plug n play literally. need to tune the car, just unplug the gauge.

Does it measure boost/vacuum ? Or do you need a special part for that. I would like to see my Air/Fuel and Boost.

All model mustangs besides the 03-04 cobra require you to purchase a map sensor and 5v power regulator to properly display boost. On the 03-04 cobra the AeroForce gauge will read up to 15psi as that's as much as the stock map sensor reads. If you're making more than that and want to properly display higher levels of boost you'll need to purchase the map sensor and 5v power regulator.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Jared

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

For your GT500, you can go about it two different ways;

If you strictly only want to monitor A/F and Boost only, you can get by with the single gauge, and the Roush pod as shown above.

Here's the link to the Single Gauge @ LethalPerformance.com

Single 2011+ cars read wideband, as before mentioned, you'll just need the boost sensor kit, Which can be found here!

There's also a 2 bar sensor kit, but that only reads up to 15psi. I'm sure most of you would want a gauge that can read up to 35psi, just in case.

For any reason you want to read more parameters at once, go for the DUAL Interceptor Gauge for GT500's.

We also have really nice mounting solutions that are made by Speed of Sound, for the Dual set ups.

Hope that helps. Thanks!

John

Users who are viewing this thread