Motor Carnage

TClark22

Established Member
Well this isn't the thread I wanted to post...I wanted to post a "hey my car just went XX.XX @ XXX on low boost first time out"...Well this happened instead on my first pass somewhere between the 1/8th and 1000' mark.

So the theory we came up with is the spark plug of #2 wasn't happy, it broke apart and ceramic and shit dropped, bounced around, lodged itself between skirt and wall and cause my massive water jacket/sleeve break. Then other bits somehow got through into the #1, #5 and #6. melting to the top of the piston and scoring the sidewalls. Not sure how the sleeve and water jacket cracked on #1 but I'm sure it wasn't hard once #2 let go and lost compression. But that's my theory. Either that or I made too much boost once I hit 3rd gear, that in turn broke the sleeve/water jacket on #2, which broke the spark plug and sent bits into the other cylinders. I like the other way around...because I had been beating the crap out of it on the street up until this point.

But that was my fun first track outing with the turbo and auto setup. Sleeved block to come...

oldmodman

Established Member
Sorry to see this.
Luck doesn't get much worse than that.
But the really hard part is where you tell the wife or girlfriend that there will be no presents this year. "Honey, I have to build a new motor for my MUSTANG!"

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Coyote stock block does not like big boost/HP. Need upgraded block for where you are at with the S476R

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry to see this.
Luck doesn't get much worse than that.
But the really hard part is where you tell the wife or girlfriend that there will be no presents this year. "Honey, I have to build a new motor for my MUSTANG!"

lmao if you can finance a new better you can finance some gifts to keep her from snuffing you with a pillow one night. Im so glad it apparently didnt occur to my wife to ask what the final bill was on my new motor (although Im sure its bound to come up at some point lol)

and damn, now I understand about the water jacket supports and such, thats nuts

TClark22

Established Member
Coyote stock block does not like big boost/HP. Need upgraded block for where you are at with the S476R

This was 10lbs...lol around 700 hp roughly. I think I just got some shit luck.

I was planning to run this shortblock up to 900rwhp. lmao...was.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Well that's different than most failures that have been posted. Sorry about the bad luck. Time to go stronger and bigger...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
too much cylinder pressure at peak torque... Normally pistons and/or rods shit the bed but looks like cylinder walls couldnt hang...

how much ignition timing and what fuel?

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Man, that sucks.
But now you have an excuse to go bigger and better. Good luck.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
That's an odd break to have at only 10psi... I know a few guys that are still on stock sleeves with rods/pistons and double your PSI with the water jacket/cylinders in tact. Sorry about your luck, I really like your car. I can't wait to see it back with the sleeved block!

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

Not sure if you are serious..? Have you seen the amount of guys running TT and Supercharged cars well into the 9's on stock blocks?

Some have been doing this for years and haven't had an issue with the block. Like the OP says, I think it came down to crappy luck in his case.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Not sure if you are serious..? Have you seen the amount of guys running TT and Supercharged cars well into the 9's on stock blocks?

Some have been doing this for years and haven't had an issue with the block. Like the OP says, I think it came down to crappy luck in his case.

Plenty serious, well known issue with stock coyote block. It's like 3V rods, some guys popped the motor as soon as they boosted and some guy pushed 600HP for a long time.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Damn man sorry, that is some shit luck...I guess on the bright side it didn't happen right before the nice weather season, so you have all winter to rebuild!

coposrv

Established Member
I've found a few f150 coyote pull outs and With all the cars in the 9s on what I thought was a stock block the thought has crossed my mind to coyote swap my heap when the time comes. A better rod and piston AND re-sleeving the stock block prevents this? Pardon my ignorance with the newer motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder if it was a casting flaw that was exacerbated by the pressure from the turbo? 10lbs seems quite low for a total failure like that.

Users who are viewing this thread