Motor Carnage

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Saw this post in the N/A SVT Cam section on FB, had no idea it was your car! Build it badder and stronger...

TClark22

Established Member
too much cylinder pressure at peak torque... Normally pistons and/or rods shit the bed but looks like cylinder walls couldnt hang...

how much ignition timing and what fuel?

Low timing (don't know off the top of my head, lol I leave that to my tuner) and pump 91 octane. I had planned to see what it runs on low boost pump gas then go e85 and more boost...lol wishful thinking.

I wonder if it was a casting flaw that was exacerbated by the pressure from the turbo? 10lbs seems quite low for a total failure like that.

No idea. I really think it had something to do with the spark plug failure cause it's quite a break for just 10lbs. The crack I have in #1 cylinder pictured is the typical cracked sleeve/jacket you get with these motors. But that #2 failure had to be caused by something more.

Yes I'm lucky that it happened at the end of season but I wasn't planning on spending any money on it over winter really. I don't really have any to spend. lol just bought a house back in march, got some medical bills I wasn't expecting, my house needs a coat of paint...etc. Really thought I had the car at a point where I could race it for a year or so...go high 9s and have fun so I can start rebuilding my bank accounts. lol there goes that idea. Financial stability is overrated anyway...right? I'm only 27...I got another 60 years to rebuild financially before I die, right? lol

Right now my thoughts are...
Get a sleeved block, replace the pistons needing replacement, have heads cleaned up (very minor damage done to a couple cylinders)...then toss it all back together. It'll still have H beams but those should hold up just fine at 1000hp...

Last edited:

shelbymopar89

Established Member
I don't know if you had the same problem as me or not. I have had my 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (2.2L Turbo) for 22 years now and when I upped the boost to 28LBS and added Meth injection I had almost the same issue as you during tuning. My problem was either detonation, or pre ignition. I had some lean pulls (9.5 AFR Wideband logging) when setting up my Meth nozzle size and it cracked the porcelain around the electrode, but never fell off as I would let out as soon as the alarm went off. This happened several times during the tuning and was almost always my #3 and #4 cylinder, the furthest in the intake runner. After looking online and figuring it out I swapped to a good old Champion plug and never had the issue since, granted it is also tuned now. If you do a search there are a decent amount of turbo forums with pictures just like yours. Here is a link describing the issue I was having. Sorry for your loss and I am sure it will come back better and stronger!
http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue54/EngineBasics.html
http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...linder-4-anyone-know-cause-input-welcome.html

TClark22

Established Member
I'm sorry this happened to you. That is no fun to be going through that.

It makes me thankful that Justune wouldn't tune my car this year.

Why do you say that? I'll still be going to him for tuning. I don't associate this issue with his tuning at all.

shelbymopar89

Established Member
I'm sorry this happened to you. That is no fun to be going through that.

It makes me thankful that Justune wouldn't tune my car this year.

Why do you say that? I'll still be going to him for tuning. I don't associate this issue with his tuning at all.

Probably because this looks like it is a product of a very lean condition.

TClark22

Established Member
Probably because this looks like it is a product of a very lean condition.

Like I've said, I beat the crap out of the car before this happened and not once had any detonation or any sign of detonation. Maybe it made more boost than usual, maybe I had some bad gas on the ride down to the track. I'll likely never really know what happened unless I was datalogging at the time. I know for a fact he left the tune rich because it was on pump gas. I would never blame the tuner in this instance.

stangfreak

Established Member
Not sure if you are serious..? Have you seen the amount of guys running TT and Supercharged cars well into the 9's on stock blocks?

Some have been doing this for years and haven't had an issue with the block. Like the OP says, I think it came down to crappy luck in his case.

Bc of internet it makes it seem that the coyote motor will handle gobs of hp and this guys brothers cousins runs 7's on the stock block. I'm not bashing the motor. I love the new 5.0 and I'm still trying to buy a coyote mustang. It's not a built motor and the compression is high. It's not really boost friendly.

Nobody will mention how many of these motors blow up. It is what it is. My tuner said the same thing. He gets blown up forced induction coyote mustangs Rollin in the shop and the cars were tuned by the best east coast tuner.

I own a 03 cobra and even I feel at times I am pushing the envelope running 25 lbs of boost on a stock motor that's 14 years old. Yea we have members on here running 9s on. 95 to 120,000 stock 03 cobra motors. But there not bullet proof.

The coyote motor is amazing. There wicked fast. But I'd rather trust a terminator motor making 700 to 800 rwhp with lower compression and beefier internals than a high compression stock 5.0 motor that have small rods like mentioned above. I'm not comparing the motors I'm just saying just bc a few guys are running all this boost and power on a stock coyote motor doesn't mean it's the norm. Nobody ever mentions the bad or how frequent they blow up.

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
Sorry to hear op. I hope you get that motor fixed and come back faster. I love your car!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
This is why the only power mod I'm going to do on the internals of this car are cams. If I can hit 500rwhp, I will be ecstatic. I've had close to 1,000whp before... I'm getting old. I just want something fun that I don't have to worry about anymore.

TClark22

Established Member
Shitty.

time for an MPR shortblock and 1k hp? :)

Don't know who I'm getting my block from yet but yes. Sleeved block...possibly reuse same internals I have now. And was already planning on 1k. lol

This is why the only power mod I'm going to do on the internals of this car are cams. If I can hit 500rwhp, I will be ecstatic. I've had close to 1,000whp before... I'm getting old. I just want something fun that I don't have to worry about anymore.

Part of me is with you there. Sometimes I just wish I had a lightly modded car to just cruise around town with. But I love drag racing so the bug would hit me to make more power, go faster.

I'm going to keep at it with this car, hit my goal of making it an 8 second ride that is still street friendly. But I eventually want to add another pony that is just a cruise around car. But that'll probably be in 10 years when I can afford my lifestyle.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Low timing (don't know off the top of my head, lol I leave that to my tuner) and pump 91 octane. I had planned to see what it runs on low boost pump gas then go e85 and more boost...lol wishful thinking. ...

Like I've said, I beat the crap out of the car before this happened and not once had any detonation or any sign of detonation. Maybe it made more boost than usual, maybe I had some bad gas on the ride down to the track. I'll likely never really know what happened unless I was datalogging at the time. I know for a fact he left the tune rich because it was on pump gas. I would never blame the tuner in this instance.

Youre probably right about never knowing the real, actual cause. I will say that anything over 7-8 psi on 91 octane piss fuel (im all too familar) will destroy a motor in short order with even moderate timing advance.. especially at the rpm where peak torque is made.

Friendly advise... make a long a hard decision on who tunes your car next time around. At the very least he should have you in the loop on the specifics (timing advance, total timing, lambata, etc etc). Doesnt matter if the motor is built or bone stock, a shitty tune up can ruin it before the fun even begins.

Stanger00

Established Member
Ouch. It's been a journey with this car for you man.

You had a stout motor too and it's a shame the block reared its flaw on you like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TClark22

Established Member
Just finished tearing it down to bare block...the crank walked big time. The thrust bearing was toast. I think we found the issue.

Rod bearings looked brank freaking new (as they should for coated bearings with 3k miles on them). The crank bearings were worn but that's expected when there is that much movement. But the good news is the crank is still in great condition!

So now that I've assessed the extent of the motor damage...

Needs new block, whether sleeved or not
Needs new pistons...about 4 of them are toast so might as well just buy a new set
Needs slight head repair from the shit bouncing around.

Users who are viewing this thread