Montana folk

Wraith_2006

Established Member
Hey Dustin, whats the car scene like in GF? Do all the sports cars come out to play in the summer? I'm a fan of all but partial to Mustangs. Is there any speed/dyno shops around?

...well there seems to be alot of strang things in this ton as far as cars... you will find a hundred garages of guys 40+ filled with garage queens, a bunch of ricers that think that their 4cylender honda can kick your cars ass, lots of old muscle in variouse states of repair, and very few true corbras.... but all in all it is not to bad a place to live and drive. Lots of free open space and such, and alot of fun things to do. Twice a year the Porshe club of mt meets in lewis town at the MT department of transportation test facility.. and that has to be the most fun I have ever had in my entire life. You will see all type of cars out there not just porshe and you run 20 minute session.... 140mps+ in the straights..... 70-80+ sustanined...Then there is always ther drag trak at lewistown, and other events and clubs in the city. I also belong to the local SCCA club and we race in three locations one of them being on the base... and it is a fun time to come out and play with you car.... As for the dyno shops.. there is one that I know of ... but it is an old crappy dyno ... IE mecanical... no computer output, and I hear that one of the local shops is trying to get together the funds for a rolling all-wheel drive dyno.... but we will see talk is cheep right :)

Wraith_2006

Established Member
Do you dd your Cobra? I vaguely remember seeing an sn95 kind of recently (before all of this cold and snow!) with white wheels. Might not have been you, I didn't catch if it was a cobra or not.

Too bad I didn't know there was another svtp member in GF, Kyle and I could have met up with you sometime this summer!

Yeah it is a DD during the summer.. my winter car is kindof a drag... ;) yeah white and as far as I know I have the only sn95 in town with white wheels, there is a edge with white, but I think that I was here first. and plus that is edge is just a gt. I think that I know of about 5 sn95 in town that are cobra, and one 94 cobra r is currently being rebuilt... I think that I meet kyle at the local parts store tword the end of the summer... I dont even know what I was in the store for, but he came out to listen to my exshaust....so did you guys sell the yellow droptop?

SVT GI

Established Member
...well there seems to be alot of strang things in this ton as far as cars... you will find a hundred garages of guys 40+ filled with garage queens, a bunch of ricers that think that their 4cylender honda can kick your cars ass, lots of old muscle in variouse states of repair, and very few true corbras.... but all in all it is not to bad a place to live and drive. Lots of free open space and such, and alot of fun things to do. Twice a year the Porshe club of mt meets in lewis town at the MT department of transportation test facility.. and that has to be the most fun I have ever had in my entire life. You will see all type of cars out there not just porshe and you run 20 minute session.... 140mps+ in the straights..... 70-80+ sustanined...Then there is always ther drag trak at lewistown, and other events and clubs in the city. I also belong to the local SCCA club and we race in three locations one of them being on the base... and it is a fun time to come out and play with you car.... As for the dyno shops.. there is one that I know of ... but it is an old crappy dyno ... IE mecanical... no computer output, and I hear that one of the local shops is trying to get together the funds for a rolling all-wheel drive dyno.... but we will see talk is cheep right :)

Sounds like a good time. Im mainly a drag strip guy so at least there is that there.

I've been dabbling with tuning and have been building cars for 17 years (mainly Mustangs) and plan to open a shop when I retire from the Air Force. Do you think there is a market for that kind of shop there? How about a market for guys that want a clean tune by "street dyno" as we call it with SCT software?

Wraith_2006

Established Member
Sounds like a good time. Im mainly a drag strip guy so at least there is that there.

I've been dabbling with tuning and have been building cars for 17 years (mainly Mustangs) and plan to open a shop when I retire from the Air Force. Do you think there is a market for that kind of shop there? How about a market for guys that want a clean tune by "street dyno" as we call it with SCT software?

There might be a market....but I can not be a good judge of that .... I do most of my own work... There used to be a guy up here that was an sct dealer.. but to my knowledge he has moved on.... it might be something that could be researched though...

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
What shop is trying to get a chassis dyno here? I haven't heard anything like that. (My dad owns Custom Engine and Machine).

Yeah, we finally sold Kyle's car a couple of weeks ago thank god.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Hey Dustin, whats the car scene like in GF? Do all the sports cars come out to play in the summer? I'm a fan of all but partial to Mustangs. Is there any speed/dyno shops around?

The car scene isn't very good compared to most other cities in the nation, but it isn't too bad. There's a few fast cars like the 01 True Blue with a Terminator swap, but the guy who owns it is a total tool (kept saying he got the T56 that's in it out of a 03 GT500, and is taking credit for the work that the guy before him did). Other mentions are a centri SCed ~700 whp S2K, a s/c FX35 that shouldn't give you too much trouble, a couple decent Evos, a turbo Honda here and there, and maybe a cammed LS1 and C6Z.

Yeah it is a DD during the summer.. my winter car is kindof a drag... ;) yeah white and as far as I know I have the only sn95 in town with white wheels, there is a edge with white, but I think that I was here first. and plus that is edge is just a gt. I think that I know of about 5 sn95 in town that are cobra, and one 94 cobra r is currently being rebuilt... I think that I meet kyle at the local parts store tword the end of the summer... I dont even know what I was in the store for, but he came out to listen to my exshaust....so did you guys sell the yellow droptop?

Hi Dustin, that was me you met. Good to see you on here. And like Molly said, we sold the Vert (thankfully).

I get to drive Molly's car in the snow tomorrow. The 275s might give me a bit of trouble, but I think I can handle it...

SVT GI

Established Member
The car scene isn't very good compared to most other cities in the nation, but it isn't too bad. There's a few fast cars like the 01 True Blue with a Terminator swap, but the guy who owns it is a total tool (kept saying he got the T56 that's in it out of a 03 GT500, and is taking credit for the work that the guy before him did). Other mentions are a centri SCed ~700 whp S2K, a s/c FX35 that shouldn't give you too much trouble, a couple decent Evos, a turbo Honda here and there, and maybe a cammed LS1 and C6Z.

Nice...one of those guys :nonono: One in every crowd I guess.

Off topic...-16 degrees there the other day!! What the hell have I gotten myself into? haha My poor cars are going to hate life in the winter. I should have a 2 car garage on base for the 04's but I'll have to find an indoor storage for the 93 Cobra. Anybody know of a good place?

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Nice...one of those guys :nonono: One in every crowd I guess.

Off topic...-16 degrees there the other day!! What the hell have I gotten myself into? haha My poor cars are going to hate life in the winter. I should have a 2 car garage on base for the 04's but I'll have to find an indoor storage for the 93 Cobra. Anybody know of a good place?

There are storage units just a few blocks before the base main gate on 2nd Ave N, Will Deal Auto owns them. Also, I believe there are storage units on base as well.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Don't be afraid to drive your 93 Cobra in the winter, SVT GI. I saw a teal one yesterday in the slush that resulted from 4 inches of snow and semi-warm weather.

Oh, and -16 was the high the other day, it hit -30 or so.

Last edited:

Wraith_2006

Established Member
What shop is trying to get a chassis dyno here? I haven't heard anything like that. (My dad owns Custom Engine and Machine).

Yeah, we finally sold Kyle's car a couple of weeks ago thank god.

Customs engine and machine? oh I remember that place, I have not been there in a while... I was there with a budy of mine that was putting a turbo in a 4door sebring... yes he did it ... 22lbs of boost on a 4 cylender.... it was freaking scary in a straight line and no I mean really scary..... I heard that autimotive machine was working working on getting a rolling all-wheel drive dyno.... the last time that I talked to the guy... but that was 6 months ago......

Wraith_2006

Established Member

Hi Dustin, that was me you met. Good to see you on here. And like Molly said, we sold the Vert (thankfully).

Good to hear that you sold it, I never put 2 and 2 together, but my cousin was looking for a sn95 mustang gt to purchase since last spring.... So are you guys moving to bozeman or missoula....

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Hey Dustin, one of kyles best friends is a mechanic at automotive machine, ill ask him about the dyno.

We are moving to bozeman to go to msu. We are both going to school for engineering. Ill be done in 2 years or so.

All of us great falls svtpers will have to meet up at cruisin the drag this coming spring.

Wraith_2006

Established Member
yes we will, you will find my car with the SCCA club... and if we get our same spot, i think it will be down by the top notch cafe.....

Wraith_2006

Established Member
well, I think that it might just hold the title of "largest car show in mt" this is the location that you will see all of the stuff that people hide in their garages..... oh and you will see alot of crap as well....

Users who are viewing this thread