Modified stock hood vents. (cooling)Tell me what you think.

Black Sex

Established Member
The last ones I did I got $50 shipped + the buyer shipped his back to me. Kind of a trade + cash deal. I didn't have any made up so I sold the ones off my car. I have another set about half done.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
The last ones I did I got $50 shipped + the buyer shipped his back to me. Kind of a trade + cash deal. I didn't have any made up so I sold the ones off my car. I have another set about half done.

It is definitely a good mod you came up with, looks way better.

It is probably $50 worth of labor easily but I try to do most things like this myself.

I am scared to cut my only pair, but if I could find a spare set I would give it a shot. I think I can handle it. You guys find some paint that lasts really well?

Black Sex

Established Member
It's not hard to do by any means, It's just time consuming. It took me about 4 hrs of sanding to do my first set. I tried usuing a dremel on another set, but even on a low speed, I burned through on a few spots. The plastic is soft, and there are a few different angles you have to watch for. It don't take much to burn through it with a dremel. I filled in the spots with super glue and will sand it back down and just use them on my car. I personaly like doing little things like this.

Black Sex

Established Member
Sorry to bump an old thread. I ended up selling the vents and having to make another set for my car. I got tired of trying to sand them down perfectly smooth. I had the idea to try some wrinkle paint. Im glad I did. IMO they look 10x better than with a flat or satin black. If you decide to do this, make sure you follow the instructions on the can! I did not totally scuff everything and the paint didn't wrinkle in some spots so I had to sand them down, again :bash:.
After seeing the end results, it was worth it.
Pics taken with a Droid. I will take more when I get the car and camera out.

368-1.jpg

368.jpg

Blueline

Established Member
Its funny you posted that. I was doing my vents about a month ago. I was sanding for hours and said forget this. I did mine in a wrinkle finish too and I think it looks great. Yours look awesome too!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
This kind of bump is totally OK! It has CONTENT!

Great job! I am going to pull mine back off and paint them with that stuff.
I also got sick of sanding my brains out, got discouraged and just hung them rough.

I may do my Canton rad and I/C reservoirs too, the water marks are finally starting to bug me. I'm not big on hand polishing stuff.

Black Sex

Established Member
They deffinetly look better this way.
Jimmy, just make sure you scuff really good where the louver meets the frame. If not that part stays shinny and looks hideous ;-)

03sm3341

Established Member
I just did mine this past weekend and wow is it alot of work! 4 1/2 hours later they were done. A tip for future folks who do this mod. Get an Xacto knife with a STRIGHT ended blade and use a candle to heat it. It will slice the plastic with ease. But sanding is still a PITA but the results are worth it. I gave up on sanding once most of the slats remains were gone and painted them with under coat. GOOD BYE sanding marks! I'll post pics later of mine.

vent2.jpg

vent.jpg

DSC_0248-1.jpg

Last edited:

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Sorry to bump an old thread. I ended up selling the vents and having to make another set for my car. I got tired of trying to sand them down perfectly smooth. I had the idea to try some wrinkle paint. Im glad I did. IMO they look 10x better than with a flat or satin black. If you decide to do this, make sure you follow the instructions on the can! I did not totally scuff everything and the paint didn't wrinkle in some spots so I had to sand them down, again :bash:.
After seeing the end results, it was worth it.
Pics taken with a Droid. I will take more when I get the car and camera out.

368-1.jpg

368.jpg

Is this with every two removed? How much would you charge me to do my vents like this if I send them to you? :beer:

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
So i tried being a craftsman a few weeks ago with my vents and dicked em up real bad. So does anyone have a set of these modded vents that they want to sell? I have no vents right now and feel kinda ricey :nonono:

Black Sex

Established Member
So i tried being a craftsman a few weeks ago with my vents and dicked em up real bad. So does anyone have a set of these modded vents that they want to sell? I have no vents right now and feel kinda ricey :nonono:

I don't have any at the moment. I am working on a set for someone else. if they back out I could have some soon.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
I think I'm going to give this a try. That last set you made with the wrinkle paint just completely convinced me lol. I was wondering what wrinkle paint you used though. I had used the wrinkle engine enamel on valve covers before and I know you have to heat it up to get a good wrinkled texture. Did you use a special paint or do anything special to get such good results?

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Looks great! The guy who did minus every two, you did a fantastic job on yours. I half assed mine, and close inspection they look like shit, but the look alot better then stock.

MountainDew

Do the Dew!
Established Member
I just did mine this past weekend and wow is it alot of work! 4 1/2 hours later they were done. A tip for future folks who do this mod. Get an Xacto knife with a STRIGHT ended blade and use a candle to heat it. It will slice the plastic with ease. But sanding is still a PITA but the results are worth it. I gave up on sanding once most of the slats remains were gone and painted them with under coat. GOOD BYE sanding marks! I'll post pics later of mine.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/jeepguy51/vent2.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/jeepguy51/vent.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/jeepguy51/DSC_0248-1.jpg[/IMG[/quote]

SMART!! Thanks for the tip! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread