Misfiring and now no compression

Hungdaknees

Established Member
Ya I just changed it to off road yesterday cause everyone was asking but the cats were taken off about 2 weeks ago

Van@RevanRacing

FWIW

I know the OP as he is a customer. Nothing shady going on here. His dealership is taking responsibility for the engine because they error'd.

I can't remember all of my customer set ups and it was only after some dialogue in this thread that I understood who the customer was. Thousands of customers and trying to remember them by screen names............ I can just imagine the OP calling me, "Hey Van, this is HUNGDAKNEES", my reply, "You're from HUNGARY?"

All kidding aside none of this changes my poition on aftermarket catalytic converters and this was as good a venue as any to open that discussion.

The OP has a hurt engine, no use of his vehicle and I hope he gets his car back up and running ASAP. Let's all take it easy on the OP :beer:

He certainly could use some support IMO.

turbo

Established Member
if the dealership takes responsibility because they used the wrong spark plugs and eat a 20k engine, send me the dealer info!!! i'm going there for service!!

mullens

Established Member
So let me get my head wrapped around this. They replaced TR6 with factory plugs, which are good iridium plugs. Factory plugs are @ .35-.37. NGK's were gapped .032. So, assuming the factory plugs can handle the higher boost, all that damage was caused by the larger gap? I would have thought the worst that could happen would be some spark blowout. I mean, they didn't put lawnmower plugs in there.

sb03cobra

Established Member
I don't see how the plugs caused the damage. It was misfiring before they changed the plugs, right? And now the whole bank has low compression, something else going on here.

Any data logs of this combo?

Best of luck to you, this will be very expensive for you or your dealer!

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

My pump was down due to a blown fuse

Additionally, NONE of us knows the extent of the damage. All we know is compression down.

Until the motor is pulled, and disassembled the entire thread is supposition.

We know a plug strap is missing and that can damage a valve and cause compression loss. And that is all we know.

Last edited:

ObieFox

Established Member
Checking the OP's mod list, it doesn't reference a Bob Oil Seperator ANYWHERE! Obviously, oil mist was passed into the intake where it either clogged the intercooler or travelled into the combustion chamber where it lowered the fuel octane enough to cause catastrophic detonation. I hope the OP was at least using AMSOil, or enough oil may have been passed through to physically hydraulic a cylinder. :pop: Not even a Lund tune could have saved it! :lol1:

Love it! Made me LOL...:beer:

Back to the point:
Because the dealer installed the factory correct stock plugs back into a modified engine, they are going to cover this $30k engine plus R&R? I will be stunned if this actually plays out.

Unless the dealership covers this out of their own pocket, the Ford Regional Rep and SVT are going to get involved in any major warranty claim like this.

Even without a warranty claim to the mothership, my guess is that SVT will still get involved. How is the dealership going to fix this? Compression and cylinder wall damage on our motors = new engine. Ordering that SKU is going to ring some bells in the system.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. One Ford brother to another, I hope they take care of you.

Kevin

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Love it! Made me LOL...:beer:

Back to the point:
Because the dealer installed the factory correct stock plugs back into a modified engine, they are going to cover this $30k engine plus R&R? I will be stunned if this actually plays out.

Unless the dealership covers this out of their own pocket, the Ford Regional Rep and SVT are going to get involved in any major warranty claim like this.

Even without a warranty claim to the mothership, my guess is that SVT will still get involved. How is the dealership going to fix this? Compression and cylinder wall damage on our motors = new engine. Ordering that SKU is going to ring some bells in the system.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. One Ford brother to another, I hope they take care of you.

Kevin

I concur. I just don't see them eating this repair. Now they may be trying to get it warrantied, but that will take time.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Cat's (especially aftermarket) can fail for a lot of reasons, one of them is the more likely reason of just being crap cats.

This is my ARH cat starting to fail. Luckily I caught it early.

F111D2C3-16F4-4261-BDA7-400B8110663B-7827-000007BDAAD6B31C_zps0824489a.jpg

quick-nick

Established Member
I would just like to know the cause so I may know what to watch out for. Many many cars out there with similar combos and this is the first time I have heard of any issues....

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I would just like to know the cause so I may know what to watch out for. Many many cars out there with similar combos and this is the first time I have heard of any issues....

my guess is that it ran lean. Was the 93 really 93(or whatever fuel its tuned for). Is the tune actually lean? Best thing to do is strap it down and see what the A/F actually is.

Bad as L

Established Member
Addressing the loss of compression, I lost a set of plugs on 600 rwhp Lightning and with my luck the ground strap exited the cylinder out the exhaust port but on it's way out the valve came down and nailed it dead nuts. Put a .015 ding in the face of a red hot stainless exhaust valve.

The engine still ran but was sick, it showed "0" on a compression gauge but would register on a leakdown although I don't remember how much, it didn't much matter at that point.

I got out my FRPP Lightning signature engine puller and went to work.

5Eight0shelby

SVT poster
Established Member
Today i was at the dealer for my company truck. i had glanced and noticed a 13' super snake on the rack. So i asked what was wrong with it and the service guy said it had no compression in two cylinders. He also stated that both plugs were broke off like Hungdaknees plugs. He wouldn't disclose any other info. Anyways they are investagating at the moment to see why this had happen. Just thought i share on what i seen today. :beer:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Today i was at the dealer for my company truck. i had glanced and noticed a 13' super snake on the rack. So i asked what was wrong with it and the service guy said it had no compression in two cylinders. He also stated that both plugs were broke off like Hungdaknees plugs. He wouldn't disclose any other info. Anyways they are investagating at the moment to see why this had happen. Just thought i share on what i seen today. :beer:

Would a Supersnake be under any warranty?

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Good luck on being covered. The dealer we have will work around certain mods but a major repair like that, most we could get would be a free tow back to the house. Seems like said earlier, should have found out the initial miss. Wouldn't mind seeing the plugs. If you really want to know get out the bore scope and take a look around. Only disassembled the motors out of the car so I don't know if you can pull the heads while in the car. That will tell all. At this point a dyno run, if even possible, wouldn't do much. Like my tuner says, what we have here is a broke car. Not an untuned car, just broke. Hate when he's so honest. Between him and L&M the truth hurts and costs LOL

Users who are viewing this thread