Misfiring and now no compression

Hungdaknees

Established Member
Took to dealer ship cause misfire they changed the plugs drove it for a week check engine light comes on for misfire car starts to run like crap I decide to check the plugs and this is what I found then did a compression test and had little compression on driver side of motor.
null_zps305206a2.jpg

Snoopy49

Established Member
If it were running lean, wouldn't the porcelain insulator be white and the center electrode rounded on the end? As far as the ground electrode, it may have been damaged before installation or by contact with something in the combustion chamber.

The lack of compression in that cylinder may be a result of the broken spark plug piece getting caught between the outside edge of the piston and the cylinder head. This would cause the ring land to collapse and pin the top ring in the ring land.

quick-nick

Established Member
How come that is a platinum plug and not the NGK's?

Also wondering who did the tune and you never heard any detonation?

mullens

Established Member
Since you run TR6's I assume that's the factory plug they put in. Did they say one of the plugs was broken when they took them out?

Hungdaknees

Established Member
It's all under warranty I had NGK in there told dealer ship what was in there said they were going to put new NGK in there and they didn't so it was there fault so they are taking care of it.

Hungdaknees

Established Member
Lund tune
And ya the week I drove it ran fine until I got in a high rpm then it started to misfire

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Look at those cats on the Kooks headers. I wouldn't be surprised to find a failed converter that then caused this condition.

Lund does not recommend catted long tube headers for any of these cars. The cats are not put through the CARB certification process that Ford goes through. Additionally the cats are further down stream than OEM. Nine time out of ten my customers get removable catalytic converter leads with their long tube headers for emissions testing and then revert back to off road.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
It's all under warranty I had NGK in there told dealer ship what was in there said they were going to put new NGK in there and they didn't so it was there fault so they are taking care of it.

Plug did not cause your problems. Started with the initial mis-fire before you took it to the dealer. I would't count on them covering a new $27K engine with your modifications.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Subscribing, this could be interesting.
I'd like to see an honest timeline of mods and problems to see some cause/effect here.
-J

Edit---and I don't mean that in a bad way to you OP, want to know for my future mod plan.

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member

If that proves true you have just hit the lottery my friend. For your sake I hope so but any major repair must be approved by Ford so I think it was a bit premature for them to tell you that.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Can someone post a couple of pictures of spark plugs that show proper coloring for one of these engines. I am new to super charged engines and would like to see how a normal plug is suppose to look.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread