Misfiring and now no compression

ryan319

Established Member
Can someone post a couple of pictures of spark plugs that show proper coloring for one of these engines. I am new to super charged engines and would like to see how a normal plug is suppose to look.

I would think that it would look similar to a plug in any healthy motor.

Should be interesting to see what happens here. I can't see Ford covering the motor with the mods and a tune. And no offense to the op, but they shouldn't cover it, mod at your own risk. I'm wondering if the misfire you were experiencing was actually detonation from a lean condition.

rancid

Established Member
Good luck dude, hope it all works out but as others have mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if the mothership decides to deny the warranty if the dealership has to special order a motor.

turbo

Established Member
my friend is one of the svt engineers working on the shelby. he is contacted personally on all MAJOR warranty claims. He is a mod friendly guy, but even he answers to somebody. The dealership in no way shape or form can authorize any warranty claim at that level unless the broke it and are paying themselves if the OEM denies. Period. best of luck to you, its not over til they say no! stay positive.

on a side note, isnt it funny most tuners always go the route of bad gas, failed parts, or anything but,"maybe the tune IS f'ed up?" just mho

Last edited:

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
The key here is that the "dealership" said "it" would cover it. It seems that the tech put in the wrong plugs, probably not gapped right either. Ford may not have to get involved, if I understand correctly what the OP is stating. Good luck, hope it works out.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
probably not gapped right either.

I know, look at the gap in the picture! Thats way over what it should be! :D

It was mis-firing prior to the dealer putting stock plugs back in. So the damage was already done. Stock plugs would not do that anyway. Something caused a extreme lean condition. OP should have looked harder as to why the initial mis-fire occurred in first place.

Hopefully the cylinder is not damaged, can't just rebore and hone these blocks. Fix is going to be expensive.

Willie2

Established Member
OP sig says he is running cat less

good luck. that mod list is what 90% of us want to run.

Shhhh

Established Member
OP sig says he is running cat less

good luck. that mod list is what 90% of us want to run.

And 99% of us running similar modded setups are seeing no detonation or misfires. Seems like a possible tune issue and the plugs didnt have any effect on it. The stock plugs are fine regapped.

Van@RevanRacing

Here is why we have to look at components of the OP's build and not "The Tune"

ALL CALIBRATORS - TUNERS utilize a same base file and or "tune" repeatedly. They custom tweak the tune to different set ups but one thing is certain. Lund does not dampen stock misfire signal nor does he dampen knock sensor. So if the OP had knock and/or the OP was not getting a commanded A/F the PCM would pull timing and go into protetction strategies. From what I have been told the tune is repeatable. Similar to what Ford does with their different strategies. Then you get a custom calibration for your "Modifications"

Thus the reason why I pointed out looking at the cats. The OP Oriiginally stated he had a catted kooks long tube set up. Aftermarket cats fail frequently on boosted engines and when they fail they cause huge back pressure in the engine which can cause catastrophic failure such as the OP. This is just an example. I am not stating this is the reason for the OP's failure just a possible reason for failure.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Checking the OP's mod list, it doesn't reference a Bob Oil Seperator ANYWHERE! Obviously, oil mist was passed into the intake where it either clogged the intercooler or travelled into the combustion chamber where it lowered the fuel octane enough to cause catastrophic detonation. I hope the OP was at least using AMSOil, or enough oil may have been passed through to physically hydraulic a cylinder. :pop: Not even a Lund tune could have saved it! :lol1:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I concur....

Wait what were we talking about again?? Oh yeah that's right what could have caused a failure like this with anything besides the tune. Has there been any reports of relays failing that could cause the second fuel pump not to function? It used to happen on the Lightnings but I haven't heard of it happening since them. Is that a possibility on the new cars?

Side note: Some cats fail due to a "tuner" shutting off the Catalytic converter protection logic in the tune which is also hard on exhaust valves, seats and valve guides.

Last edited:

04SVTMystic