Misbadged - Help me Out

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There is a reason why, well several reasons actually, that you can’t change the Vin on a car. A different VIN makes it a different car. Changing badges only changes the outward appearance it does not change the DNA of the car

So....kind of like a tranny. Outward appearance changes, but the DNA doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
As far as your uniform comment, if people want to wear "items" from a military uniform such as the beret, boots or jacket as an "accessory" to their jeans or style, I don't see anything wrong with that. But if you want to wear those things and tell people you're a soldier then that's where the line is crossed in my book.

what do you think it tells people when you make a car that (for example) isn't a cobra look identical to one which includes literally labeling it with names and images labeling it as such?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So....kind of like a tranny. Outward appearance changes, but the DNA doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
source.gif

Watch a video of Joe Biden and you'll understand.

d44.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
what do you think it tells people when you make a car that (for example) isn't a cobra look identical to one which includes literally labeling it with names and images labeling it as such?
I see your point, but I think it would depend on the person's perspective. You could think SOB is a poser. You could think he did a great job making it look like a certain car.

But instead of looking at it and judging someone, I say take the time to talk to the person and see their intentions.

Most people will be honest and say it's a clone or tribute. However, there are a few bad apples out there.

I personally appreciate the art, while others don't. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
I see your point, but I think it would depend on the person's perspective. You could think SOB is a poser. You could think he did a great job making it look like a certain car.

But instead of looking at it and judging someone, I say take the time to talk to the person and see their intentions.

Most people will be honest and say it's a clone or tribute. However, there are a few bad apples out there.

I personally appreciate the art, while others don't. Oh well.

i hear what you're saying but I'm not talking about their perspective, i'm talking about their actions. i've lived long enough to know that we humans will find a way to rationalize what we want to do. so perspective, while important to the individual, isn't really what I'm talking about here.

what we're talking about, those of us in opposition to dressing cars up in shiny bits to pass them off as other things, is that matter in particular.

it can be pretend. it can be car enthusiast dress up. it can be the automotive equivalent of a a son putting on his dad's hat and pretending to be a cop, and you can say all of that is tribute.

but is it really? probably, in a way, but its also cheap and childish when you can score a real cobra for a few grand. I'm on the fence about things like AC cobras and other things that just don't exist anymore but a copycat cobra? its like the same cost to just get one if you actually make the car. hell, they aren't even THAT great to begin with. I'm putting colossal amounts of effort into correcting areas that ford skimped on.

so what is it really about? as far as I can tell its pure image. maybe that has value to some but personally maybe I'm just stubborn or arrogant but I'd rather make art that is original instead of tracing other people's work.

but that's harder than just throwing some bumpers and badges on a car. you have to think and you might not get the reaction you want...

crap like this is why I want to ditch all the cobra stuff. people get REAL weird about them as if they're a thousand times greater than other mustangs. i mean they are for sure better but like 90% of why people think they're better is pure image.

and that's what the badges get you. I'd rather have substance.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
i hear what you're saying but I'm not talking about their perspective, i'm talking about their actions. i've lived long enough to know that we humans will find a way to rationalize what we want to do. so perspective, while important to the individual, isn't really what I'm talking about here.

what we're talking about, those of us in opposition to dressing cars up in shiny bits to pass them off as other things, is that matter in particular.

it can be pretend. it can be car enthusiast dress up. it can be the automotive equivalent of a a son putting on his dad's hat and pretending to be a cop, and you can say all of that is tribute.

but is it really? probably, in a way, but its also cheap and childish when you can score a real cobra for a few grand. I'm on the fence about things like AC cobras and other things that just don't exist anymore but a copycat cobra? its like the same cost to just get one if you actually make the car. hell, they aren't even THAT great to begin with. I'm putting colossal amounts of effort into correcting areas that ford skimped on.

so what is it really about? as far as I can tell its pure image. maybe that has value to some but personally maybe I'm just stubborn or arrogant but I'd rather make art that is original instead of tracing other people's work.

but that's harder than just throwing some bumpers and badges on a car. you have to think and you might not get the reaction you want...

crap like this is why I want to ditch all the cobra stuff. people get REAL weird about them as if they're a thousand times greater than other mustangs. i mean they are for sure better but like 90% of why people think they're better is pure image.

and that's what the badges get you. I'd rather have substance.

Okay so you are looking at it from the owners intentions (actions). I get it and I did originally say people should talk to the owner/builder before making judgement.

I also agree with you on the point; why spend the money to make an 03 GT look like an 03 Cobra when the original 03 Cobra is not out of reach of the average person.

In my case I took the styling ques of a 67 Shelby (Movie car) and adapted them to my 98GT. I did not buy a 67 Mustang and make it look like Eleanor (because I couldn't afford it). I blended the 2 styles to make my own creation. Granted I "did" add Shelby fender badges, but I "never" passed it off as a Shelby. And most Mustang owners could just look at my car and know it was a creation and not an official special edition.

And you are also right in your point about it being pure image. I built the car purely for something cool to look at. Underneath it was still a 2V 98GT that was slow as hell. I wanted to put an 03 Cobra motor in it, but as pointed out above I just bought an original 03 Cobra and sold the 98GT.

So, your points are valid and we just happen to be on opposite sides of the coin on this one. I don't think either side is right or wrong. Just different.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
i think your situation with the sn95 is a bit different. nobody is gonna mistake that for a real GT350, its a GT that's been upgraded in a way shelby might've done it. that makes sense. people might not like stuff about it but overall while I wouldn't have made some of the styling choices they do make sense.

personally i'm a big fan of the GT itself and my original intent was to maximize that car. i just happened upon a cobra that needed saving. The whole idea behind my build is to just make the best fox I can using primarily off the shelf parts.

Last edited:

C0bra99

Established Member
In my case I took the styling ques of a 67 Shelby (Movie car) and adapted them to my 98GT. I did not buy a 67 Mustang and make it look like Eleanor (because I couldn't afford it). I blended the 2 styles to make my own creation. Granted I "did" add Shelby fender badges, but I "never" passed it off as a Shelby. And most Mustang owners could just look at my car and know it was a creation and not an official special edition.

You are missing the point. You are representing it as a Shelby and only when you add further context of you explaining your intent that it makes it ok? what if they never speak to you? In your case the car you are representing never was actually made so it easy for people to understand that it isn't real. It's the cars that are represented that were actually made and passing them off as real. Just because the owner when asked says it a tribute/clone doesn't make up for the misrepresentation.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You are missing the point. You are representing it as a Shelby and only when you add further context of you explaining your intent that it makes it ok? what if they never speak to you? In your case the car you are representing never was actually made so it easy for people to understand that it isn't real. It's the cars that are represented that were actually made and passing them off as real. Just because the owner when asked says it a tribute/clone doesn't make up for the misrepresentation.

I hear you and understand, but based on your statement that I highlighted, I am not missing the point. "Others" might be out there misrepresenting something that people cannot easily identify as a fake, but I didn't do that. Mustang people knew mine was fake just by looking at it. So, I understand the point. However, if someone wants to take an 03 GT and put all the parts from an 03 Cobra on it to include badges the "only" way you would realize it's a fake is by looking at the VIN.

I get people not liking that, but I personably don't mind. I only have a problem with the owner trying to say it's an original Cobra. If a person builds or owns a Fobra it's not a problem in my opinion.

But, I do see your point. It's the same point @Makobra has made to me. Again I say.... We just happen to be on opposite sides of the coin on this one. I don't think either side is right or wrong. Just different.

gm kilr

Established Member
Black gold 380 R the side scoops still look like shit

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Black gold 380 R the side scoops still look like shit

Yeah you mentioned that already. Your opinion is old and played out. Go find someone else who might give a S#!T about what you think. Or better yet go hang out some where the coronavirus may find you. Looks like you're pretty close to UTAH.

Users who are viewing this thread