MGW vs Steeda TriAx my perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, as we can see, everyone has their preference as far as shifters. IMO the TriAx and MGW are both excellent shifters. If the MGW was so far superior to the others then the "others" would probably stop making their shifters. I'd have to say, though, that based on the posts I've read over the years here regarding shifters than the MGW is the preferred shifter for Terminator owners. But there are plenty of TriAx owners who love their shifter. I was one of them. Never had a reason to want to switch. :)

cody_288

Established Member
Guys with the mgw's, do you powershift? drive to the edge so to say? Broke7 ish, it was hard to do that with the MGW, as texas cobra 04 said, notchy and felt like 2 gates is exactly what I meant. MGW isn't a bad shifter, just didn't work for me is all. 05 satin you will like it man, sounds like it's what you're wanting!

Yes I do. Often. If I am shifting slow just cruising around town I have felt the "notchy, two gate" scenario that you are talking about but have never even felt a hint of it power shifting.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Well, as we can see, everyone has their preference as far as shifters. IMO the TriAx and MGW are both excellent shifters. If the MGW was so far superior to the others then the "others" would probably stop making their shifters. I'd have to say, though, that based on the posts I've read over the years here regarding shifters than the MGW is the preferred shifter for Terminator owners. But there are plenty of TriAx owners who love their shifter. I was one of them. Never had a reason to want to switch. :)

Have your gasket on both of them! So much nicer than rtv!:beer:

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
I've had 2 tri-ax shifters in 2 different cars (an 01GT with the 3550), then a 3 cobra with the T56 when I bought them, I now have 2 really neat paperweights.

I've never missed a shift (7000rpm+) in my old 03 cobra with the MGW shifter. If you're clutch/pressure plate isn't up to the task for high-RPM shifts, it doesn't matter if you have a shifter made out of moon-rocks... it just won't go.

The MGW shifter IMO is hands down the best engineered shifter. The owner of the company has owned every type of go-fast car one can think of(everything from a Viper, to 5.0, to ZR1, to SS camaro....you name it). for testing, building shifter purposes so MGW can deliver what they see as the BEST OF THE BEST product....George lives @ the track on the weekends and demands nothing but performance out of whatever it is that he's driving.

just my .02

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
MGW here and love it. Spot on every time. I know a guy with the TriAx. I drove his car, and it felt kinda vague. Funny how each one of us has different tastes.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
I've had 2 tri-ax shifters in 2 different cars (an 01GT with the 3550), then a 3 cobra with the T56 when I bought them, I now have 2 really neat paperweights.

I've never missed a shift (7000rpm+) in my old 03 cobra with the MGW shifter. If you're clutch/pressure plate isn't up to the task for high-RPM shifts, it doesn't matter if you have a shifter made out of moon-rocks... it just won't go.

The MGW shifter IMO is hands down the best engineered shifter. The owner of the company has owned every type of go-fast car one can think of(everything from a Viper, to 5.0, to ZR1, to SS camaro....you name it). for testing, building shifter purposes so MGW can deliver what they see as the BEST OF THE BEST product....George lives @ the track on the weekends and demands nothing but performance out of whatever it is that he's driving.

just my .02

This is switching from a MGW exact setup to a tri ax, had raced both same conditions and noticed an immediate difference once I had the tri ax, it works better for me and that's all that matters on my car. Whatever works for you is what you and everyone else should use for sure! I can agree on one thing, MGW was leaps and bounds better than the 5.0 I had on a cobra I bought.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
I have a tri-ax and hate it. It will be getting a mgw over the winter. The steeda makes me feel like im driving a truck. Too vague and too notchy.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I went from a Tri-Ax to a PRO 5.0 to a MGW and the MGW isn't even in the same class IMO, best shifter I've ever used.

Great8

Pulley-less in Motown
Established Member
I went from stock to B&M to Tri-Ax to MGW (orange). I like the Tri-Ax better for aggressive driving, as the shifts were more positive and precise (powershifting was never an issue). The MGW was almost as quiet as stock and more versatile. At times I've thought about going back to my Tri-Ax (maybe the thicker gasket will help more).

tj@steeda

Established Member
Hey guys and gals,

It is the age old debate... MGW vs. Steeda's Tri Ax. It is all about personal preference as stated by the members in the post, they are both great shifters.

I just wanted to let you know if you are on the fence we are offering our Short Throw shifters on sale just in time for the holidays!

Give it a try for yourself at a nice discount and post your own opinion when you get it. We are sure you won't be disappointed!

Mustang Short Shifters | Mustang Short Throw Shifters | Mustang Shifter | Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Went from B&M to MGW and I will never buy another shifter. Hands down the best on the market.

Powershifting is not an issue with my MGW

Last edited:

ChromeCobra

Established Member
I was searching around for some, it seems most people prefer MGW, but I will go with a steeda tri ax. There are two of the fastest IRS/6speed cobras that are in the 9s with steeda triax's so there goes my choice :)

I have used the triax for years and like it alot. I have never had a problem with it and run consistent 9s on the irs

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDikddj9E0E"]Whipple Cobra 9.94@140 - YouTube[/nomedia]

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have used the Triax in the past on my FFR Cobra with a T-5 trans, and loved it. I am running the MGW in my '03, and it seems like a very high quality piece which I have no complaints about at all. It was hard to hit gears when I first got the car, but that was not because of the shifter inmo. It was due to the poor quality plastic quadrant, and improper adjustment. I have a QR quadrant, Fore adjuster, LDC freeplay mod, as well as Synchromesh, and the copper washer mod to the side detent. It shifts exactly like it is supposed to now, and I couldn't be happier!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread