Metco vs. Stock SC Lower Pulley

SRBCitrusCobra17

Established Member
Hello, it has been over 3yrs since the car bit the dust with harmonic balancer falling off during a drive (CS bore dammaged with what appears to be a poor attempt to fix a broken bolt). The engine is finally out and off to the machine shop for repair. I have a brand new stock HB and a used stock SC lower pulley I got from ebay that is in good shape. I also have the metco pulley set up which was on the car. The motor is build; stroker, Kenne Bell, headers, cams etc. The original stock SC pulley came apart at the rubber bushings several years ago which is why it had the metco on it. I am not sure how well this used one will hold up so am debating on whether to use it or just put the metco back on it. Any thoughts? Thanks for the input.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah I like Metco, got a 6# ring with 3.25" upper, compression at 9.5:1. I'm at about 30 pounds of boost and race my car. So far so good knock on wood.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Go with an innovators West dampener with the metco rings. Get the HD version. I opted for dual Keyways, now would be the time to do this since your crank is at the machine shop, they can add the second keyway.

I also had my crank drilled and tapped for an LS ARP bolt. I think it was an M16 over the stock M12. The machine shop sized the washer for the IW dampener too. Much stronger than OEM. The crank is tapped down to the first main bearing.

My motor is 10.3 CR, custom cams, 2.8 KB pushing 22 psi on the street setup since 2018 no issues.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's an interesting option, @03' White Snake. I would have leaned towards the Metco lower, but your Innovators West dampener setup setup is intriguing AND strong. Is this the one you bought?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Guess I'm the odd man out. I'd rather keep the stock set up for the support. That's why I picked up one of the caged 4lb lowers when they were around.

I agree with either the stronger bolt or getting the crank studded though.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i had a metco on for a short time but went back to a stock setup. the metco worked fine but i just didn't trust it as much as the cast oem cage because of the amount of shims/spacers and the overall way it's setup. plus like @01yellercobra said you don't get that extra crank support.

the stock one has its own problems (esp if you want to rebuild it), but whenever possible i prefer oem engineering for my dd.

it's important not to let any engine oil leaks affect it because that will rapidly accelerate deterioration of the rubber bushings.

03' White Snake

Established Member
That's an interesting option, @03' White Snake. I would have leaned towards the Metco lower, but your Innovators West dampener setup setup is intriguing AND strong. Is this the one you bought?

Yes Bob, That is the one I got. Super Duty Hub option with Dual Keyways.

When I asked the machine shop about studding the crank, they were not familiar with it, they recommend the LS bolt option to me, that is how they done it in the past. I am happy I went that option. ARP wants 250 ft-lb to torque it vs the stock size M12 bolt only wants 100 ft-lbs.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yes Bob, That is the one I got. Super Duty Hub option with Dual Keyways.

When I asked the machine shop about studding the crank, they were not familiar with it, they recommend the LS bolt option to me, that is how they done it in the past. I am happy I went that option. ARP wants 250 ft-lb to torque it vs the stock size M12 bolt only wants 100 ft-lbs.
Please tell me there's video somewhere of you torquing that bolt.

SRBCitrusCobra17

Established Member
Good information thanks. Mine had the Metco on it for about 10yrs. There were no issues other than the broken bolt. But I believe that was just a ticking time bomb that started prior to the Metco mod.

Users who are viewing this thread