Merry Christmas from the Alabama Dept. of Revenue!

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Woke up this morning to find an unexpected $300 from the state deposited to my bank account. I had to look up as to why and found out it's a one-time tax rebate for almost everyone who filed a state tax return in 2021. $300 for married and $150 for singles. The longer I live in this state, the more I like it! We already have some of the lowest property taxes in the country. A dollar goes further here than 95% of the rest of the U.S. On top of all that... my military retirement checks are not taxed by the state. I think I'll stick around for a while longer. :cool:

U.M.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had read a week or so ago that Alabama was the best state overall. I don't blame you for wanting to stay there.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I guess Lynyrd Skynyrd was right!
But Molly Hatchet wasn't impressed! From the song Gator Country:

I've been to Alabama, people ain't a whole lot to see;
Skynyrd says it's a real sweet home but it ain't nothing to me.
Charlie Daniels will tell you the good Lord lives in Tennessee, ha!
But I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
My company is getting a contract out there in January so I’ll be spending time out there every 2-3 months.

Good to hear

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
But Molly Hatchet wasn't impressed! From the song Gator Country:

I've been to Alabama, people ain't a whole lot to see;
Skynyrd says it's a real sweet home but it ain't nothing to me.
Charlie Daniels will tell you the good Lord lives in Tennessee, ha!
But I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free.
Haha, yeah that's true. I have that song on my classic rock playlist.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
That's what I figured being above the panhandle and next to Georgia. Was at my daughters house just outside Atlanta a month ago and froze my ass off.
Same with me, took the family to Savannah a couple years back in January, almost froze when walking up and down the river and just cold as hell in general.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I live in SouthEast Tn, and the southeast, in general, is being inundated with people figuring out the taxes are low, the cost of living is low, the weather is mostly good, no state income taxes, etc etc.

Let's keep it our little secret, OK?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
That's what I figured being above the panhandle and next to Georgia. Was at my daughters house just outside Atlanta a month ago and froze my ass off.
I have to think you are a bit biased on the temp stuff. Typically, January is our coldest month here in the southeast. We might have a week or two that don't get above freezing, but not unusual to have temps get into the 50's or so all the way through Christmas. I had shorts and a t-shirt on for Thanksgiving. Our favorite saying is "if you don't like the weather, check back in a few hours" LOL

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
I live in SouthEast Tn, and the southeast, in general, is being inundated with people figuring out the taxes are low, the cost of living is low, the weather is mostly good, no state income taxes, etc etc.

That's how we felt about Central Florida 15-20 years back. Everything you just said but the housing market was dirt cheap because it was just starting to be built. Tampa area wasn't on the radar and on the east coast (Melbourne area) was non existent. Its definitely nowhere near what South Florida currently is but its still cheaper.

Cant forget even further south from me in Homestead. One couldve had land and all the above mentioned for literal peanuts. Now you'll be luck to touch anything with land for under a million.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Haha, yeah that's true. I have that song on my classic rock playlist.
I read not too long ago that all the founding members of Molly Hatchet have passed away. Their first three albums were good but everything after that...not so hot save for their greatest hits release.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

As @FleeMan mentioned, used to be inexpensive here. Housing and insurance are insane. My taxes aren't bad, as we bought this house almost 30 years ago for $100K, now worth about $650K.
I have to think you are a bit biased on the temp stuff. Typically, January is our coldest month here in the southeast. We might have a week or two that don't get above freezing, but not unusual to have temps get into the 50's or so all the way through Christmas. I had shorts and a t-shirt on for Thanksgiving. Our favorite saying is "if you don't like the weather, check back in a few hours" LOL
No on the temp stuff, it was 55* on the way in this morning and I had a jacket on. Anything below 65* is cool. I'm probably close to the same distance south as Leo, but I'm on the west coast. Low 40's wind chill tomorrow morning. People will be bundled up with gloves on.

VegasMichael

Established Member
'Bama is on my short list of places I'd consider moving. Coming back home to The Mountain State is starting to look better and better.
Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Average rainfall (not snow!)

Rain.jpg

Average Temps

Temps.jpg

I will admit the summer months here are BRUTAL as far as heat & humidity are concerned. However, I can ride my dirt bikes and drive my Corvette year round. Local dragstrip has some of the best winter DA around. (y)

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread